1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mutual Inductance

1. Apr 28, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Derive an expression for the mutual inductance ,L12, for the case of the figure, assuming a current distribution:
    J[itex]_{2}[/itex](x)= F[itex]_{2}[/itex](x), h1<x<h2
    or
    I[itex]_{2}[/itex](x)= ∫[itex]^{h_2}_{h_1}[/itex] F[itex]_{2}[/itex](x)w[itex]_{2}[/itex]dx

2. Relevant equations

L[itex]_{12}[/itex](x)=∅[itex]_{12}[/itex](x)/ i[itex]_{2}[/itex](x)

3. The attempt at a solution
    In fact I don't know why the problem gives this current distribution. For me the final expression of the mutual inductance does not depend on current. And I don't know either the behavior of the flux lines. The final expression for the mutual I found is L[itex]_{12}[/itex]=μ[itex]_{0}[/itex]*(h[itex]_{2}[/itex]-h[itex]_{1}[/itex])w[itex]_{1}[/itex] / (g+h[itex]_{2}[/itex])

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2013 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No idea what this picture represents. Coils? You're right, the mutual inductance between two wired arrangements is not a function of current unless paramagnetics are involved.

4. Apr 28, 2013 #3
    The problem is not clear at all on specifying what really this picture means. But I guess the region that is in bege is the magnetic core whose permeability is infinity. And 1 and 2 are cross section of rectangular conductors embedded in the core. Then, for somehow, it makes a currrent density to go through a conductor 2 and it will generate a magnetic flux across conductor 1, for this magnetic flux that is mutual inductance associated. That is what a problem is asking for.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted