Mutual Inductance: Homework Solutions

In summary, mutual inductance is a phenomenon where a changing current in one circuit induces a current in another nearby circuit. It is calculated using the formula M = k * √(L1 * L2) and is measured in henries (H). Mutual inductance can affect circuit performance both positively and negatively, and cannot have a negative value.
M P

Homework Statement

zad.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I have two ideas:
1. using m=k√L1L2
or
2. assume they equal and solve it ??

Write the kvl equations for the two currents I1 and I2. Solve for I1 and I2.

1. What is mutual inductance?

Mutual inductance is a phenomenon in which a changing current in one circuit induces a current in another nearby circuit. It is a measure of the ability of one circuit to influence the current in the other circuit.

2. How is mutual inductance calculated?

Mutual inductance is calculated using the formula M = k * √(L1 * L2), where M is the mutual inductance, k is the coupling coefficient, and L1 and L2 are the self-inductances of the two circuits.

3. What is the unit of measurement for mutual inductance?

Mutual inductance is measured in henries (H), the same unit as inductance. This represents the ratio of voltage to current change in the secondary circuit for a given change in current in the primary circuit.

4. How does mutual inductance affect circuit performance?

Mutual inductance can cause unwanted coupling between circuits, leading to interference and distortion. However, it can also be used intentionally in devices such as transformers and inductive sensors to transfer energy or information between circuits.

5. Can mutual inductance be negative?

No, mutual inductance is always a positive value as it represents the physical coupling between circuits. However, it can have a negative impact on circuit performance if not properly managed.