1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mutual inductance

1. Nov 26, 2003 #1
    I'm having problems trying solve this problem.
    Consider the two conductor system given below

| <------a-----> |
    | I2-> ______________ |
    | | | |
    | | | | | |<-c->| L |
    | | | |
    | I1->__________|_____| |
    | <-------b-------> |

There are 2 segments of 2 separate conductors. The direction of the currents(obviously) are along the conductors. Using the concept of Neumann integral formulate the mutual inductance between these conductors.

If anybody can help me with this problem I'll appreciate it. Thank you.
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2003
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2003 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sorry, I can't make heads or tails of that diagram. Can you attach a scanned copy or something?
  4. Dec 1, 2003 #3
    here is an attach figure done in MS WORD

Attached Files:

5. Dec 2, 2003 #4
    Well you probably got to use
    M = I^{-1} \int_A \vec{B} \cdot \vec{n} \cdot da
    where the surface A is probably the rectangle of width c and height L, what else can it be.
    We could choose I = I1 or I = I2, it must not make a difference since the inductance is mutual. So, let's choose I = I2.
    Next, B (as caused by I1) can be expressed as
    [tex]B(y) = \frac{DI_1}{y}[/tex]
    where y is the vertical distance from the lower wire. I wrote D because I'm really too lazy to type electromagnetic constants.
    There's no problem with the scalar product since B is always normal to the surface.
    We get
    M = c\frac{I_1}{I_2} \int_0^L \frac{D}{y} dy
    I admit it can't be right since it's not symmetrical in the currents. Also, the integral is not finite. Does this help anyway?
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2003
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?