Mutual induction coeff question

• Thread starter nabliat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Induction
In summary, the conversation discusses a 3D picture and the understanding of the magnetic field in the z-direction. The mutual inductance is found using a formula and Faraday's law, but the method for finding it is unclear. The co-ordinate system is set up to align with the solenoid's axis and the mutual induction coefficient is shown without any further calculation.
nabliat
here is the question and solution:
http://i29.tinypic.com/30cy4cn.jpgi can't understand certain things in here:
i can't understand the 3d picture.
why the magnetic field in the z direction??

i can't understand how did they find the mutual inductance here.
because by this formula

[tex]M_{12}=\frac{N_2\phi _{12}}{I_1}[/tex]

in our situation we need to find the current in the celonoid
but they for some weird reason find the emf
and right after without any calculation
they show the mutual induction coeff

why??

Physics news on Phys.org
They set up their co-ordinate system so that the z-axis runs parallel to the solenoids axis, that's why the field points in the z-direction.

As for [itex]M[/itex], it comes straight from its definition, together with Faraday's law:

[tex]\Phi_{\text{loop}}=MI_{\text{solenoid}}\implies \varepsilon_{\text{loop}}=-\frac{d\Phi_{\text{loop}}}{dt}=-M\frac{d I_{\text{solenoid}}}{dt}[/tex]

thank :)

1. What is mutual induction coefficient?

Mutual induction coefficient is a measure of the strength of the mutual inductance between two electrical circuits. It is a dimensionless quantity that represents the ratio of the induced electromotive force (EMF) in one circuit to the rate of change of current in the other circuit.

2. How is mutual induction coefficient calculated?

The mutual induction coefficient is calculated by taking the ratio of the mutual inductance between two circuits to the product of their self-inductances. It can also be expressed in terms of the coupling coefficient, which is the ratio of the mutual inductance to the geometric mean of the self-inductances.

3. What factors affect the mutual induction coefficient?

The mutual induction coefficient is influenced by the physical distance between the two circuits, the number of turns in each circuit, and the permeability of the materials between the circuits. Additionally, the frequency and amplitude of the current in one circuit can also affect the mutual induction coefficient.

4. What is the significance of mutual induction coefficient?

The mutual induction coefficient is an important factor in the design and operation of electrical circuits, especially in transformers and electric motors. It determines the efficiency of power transfer between circuits and plays a crucial role in regulating voltage levels.

5. How can the mutual induction coefficient be used in practical applications?

The mutual induction coefficient is used in the design and optimization of electrical devices such as transformers, motors, and generators. It is also utilized in wireless power transfer systems and induction heating processes. In addition, it is a key parameter in the analysis of electromagnetic compatibility between different circuits.