Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mutually exclusive and exclusive

1. Sep 19, 2003 #1
    currently, im studying probability in my school.

i'm bit confused with the difference btw :-
    (a) mutually exclusive and exclusive
    (b) independent and mutually exclusive.

anyone can explain?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2003 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

(a) I'm not sure what you are trying to describe.
    (b) Mutually exclusive - the probability that both will happen is 0.
    Independent - probability that both will happen is the product of the probabilities of the individual events.

4. Sep 20, 2003 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'm with mathedman. I have never heard the term "exclusive" used in probability except as part of "mutually exclusive". I would be inclined to say that "exclusive" and "mutually exclusive" are the same thing.

As mathedman said: if two events are "mutually exclusive" then the probability of both happening is 0 (P(A and B)= 0). If they are independent, P(A and B)= P(A)*P(B).

5. Sep 24, 2003 #4

hypnagogue

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Or, in linguistic terms:

If two events are mutually exclusive, then it is impossible for both to happen-- the occurence of one necessarily excludes any chance that the other occurs.

If two events are independent, then they do not influence eachother-- the occurence of one does not change the probability that the other will happen.

For instance, let
    A: the event that I leave my house to go to my 9-5 job today
    B: the event that I sleep in my house until 5pm today
    C: the event that someone calls my home phone number
    D: the event that a coin flip comes up heads

A and B are mutually exclusive events, since if I sleep until 5pm I can't go to work that day, and likewise if I go to work then I must have been awake before 5pm. A and C are not mutually exclusive, since going to work does not exclude the possibility that someone places a call to my home phone, and vice versa.

A and D are independent events, since my going to work does not affect the chance that a coin flip comes up heads, and vice versa (assuming I'm not fatalistic enough to base my decisions on a coin toss, of course). However, B and C are not independent events, since if I sleep until 5pm, my sleepiness affects a greater chance that someone (my overly demanding employer, for one ) will call my house to see what's going on.

Actually, it is useful to think of mutual exclusion and independence as exact opposite relations. If two events X and Y are independent, then knowing that X occurs gives you absolutely no relevant information as to the probability of Y occuring. On the other hand, if X and Y are mutually exclusive, then knowing that X occurs gives you complete information as to the probability of Y occuring, since you know that there is no chance that Y can occur.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2003
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?