Are Male/Female & ICU/Surgical Mutually Exclusive?

• Thread starter soulstriss
  • Start date
In summary, the hospital classifies some of the patents' files by gender and by type of care received (ICU and Surgical Unit). Male and female patients account for 25% and 39% of the patients in each classification, respectively. Being female and being in the ICU are mutually exclusive, but being in the surgical unit and being female are not.
soulstriss
a hospital classifies some of the patents' files by gender and by type of care received (ICU and Surgical Unit).

the number of patients in each classification:

Gender // ICU // Surgical Unit
Male // 25 // 39
Female // 21 // 15

are the events "being female" and "being in the ICU" mutually exclusive?

are the events "being in the ICU" and "being in the surgical unit" mutually exculsive?

lost! please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
This looks a bit like a homework question. Whats the problem here? The definition of mutually exclusive is that two events cannot happen at the same time, i.e. [tex] Pr(A \cap B)=0 [/tex] for A and B mutually exclusive.

The definition of mutually exclusive is not that [tex] \Pr(A \cap B) = 0 [/tex]. Two events are mutually exclusive if their intersection is empty - that is, if they do not have any outcomes in common.
If we were talking about types of animals, the event '' is a mammal'' and the event ''is a reptile'' are mutually exclusive events

For the OPs question, ask this: is it possible for a person to be both female and in the ICU? Answering that will show whether they are mutually exclusive.

statdad said:
The definition of mutually exclusive is not that [tex] \Pr(A \cap B) = 0 [/tex]. Two events are mutually exclusive if their intersection is empty - that is, if they do not have any outcomes in common.
If we were talking about types of animals, the event '' is a mammal'' and the event ''is a reptile'' are mutually exclusive events

For the OPs question, ask this: is it possible for a person to be both female and in the ICU? Answering that will show whether they are mutually exclusive.

Sorry I did not say that the definition was [tex] \Pr(A \cap B) = 0 [/tex], I ment that for A and B mutually exclusive [tex] \Pr(A \cap B) = 0 [/tex], which is true! Thus you can eliminate any intersection of events that have possitive (non-zero) probability.

You wrote (I have inserted the bold formatting)
"The definition of mutually exclusive is that two events cannot happen at the same time i.e. [tex] P(A \cap B) = 0 [/tex] for A and B mutually exclusive.''

As written, the 'cannot happen at the same time' in your post gives the impression that the definition you wrote is based on probability, not on an empty intersection. The zero probability is a consequence of the events' mutual exclusivity, not the definition.

I think you are missing my point. I am well aware that what you say is true regardless of whether the underlying distribution is discrete, continuous, or mixed. My point is that the definition of mutually exclusive can be made referring to the events [(measurable) sets] themselves - probability is not needed for this at all.
And, lest we forget the purpose of these postings, the OP should have more than enough information to be able to answer the original question.

1. Are males and females equally represented in ICU and surgical patients?

No, males and females are not always equally represented in ICU and surgical patients. There may be variations in disease prevalence and treatment patterns between genders that contribute to differences in patient populations.

2. Can a patient be both male and in the ICU?

Yes, a patient can be both male and in the ICU. Being male does not exclude someone from needing intensive care.

3. Do all ICU patients require surgery?

No, not all ICU patients require surgery. ICU patients may need intensive care for a variety of reasons, including severe infections, trauma, or organ failure.

4. Is there a difference in the proportion of males and females who undergo surgery?

There may be a difference in the proportion of males and females who undergo surgery due to differences in disease prevalence and treatment patterns between genders. However, this can vary depending on the specific condition being treated.

5. Are there any differences in outcomes between male and female ICU or surgical patients?

There may be differences in outcomes between male and female ICU or surgical patients, but this can depend on various factors such as age, underlying health conditions, and treatment received. Further research is needed to fully understand these differences.