Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

MVDT Proof in economics

1. Mar 14, 2012 #1
    I'm trying to prove something small in economics using MVDT but can't seem to work it out:

So consider: S(x) and D(x) such that:

[itex] S' > 0 > D' [/itex]
    [itex]S(x_{1}) = D(x_{1}) = Q_{1} [/itex]
    [itex]S(x_{2}) + \epsilon = D(x_{2}) + \epsilon = Q_{2} [/itex]

Then can I prove the following?
    [itex] x_{2} = x_{1} [/itex]
    [itex] Q_{2} > Q_{1} [/itex]

I've tried to define a function that is the difference between S and D and then apply the mean value theorem, but it seems like I can't get where I want.

By the way there may not be an answer since I made the problem up. But instinct tells me this is doable, I just can't figure out how.

Thanks for your help.

BiP

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2012 #2
    Intuitively I would think because S(x) is strictly increasing and D(x) is strictly decreasing, that if they intersect at one point ([itex]Q_1[/itex]) then they cannot intersect at another point. So if you assume your assumptions, I would say, yes, [itex]x_1 = x_2[/itex] and because of that, [itex]Q_2 > Q_1[/itex], namely, [itex]Q_2 = Q_1 + \epsilon[/itex].

Here would be my pseudo proof: Show that [itex]x_1 = x_2[/itex] by contradiction (by assuming intersection at two points). Then show [itex]Q_2 = Q_1 + \epsilon[/itex] which implies [itex]Q_2 > Q_1[/itex].

Someone else can chime in with a better proof idea if they want.

4. Mar 15, 2012 #3
    Yes my intuition was also similar, I just wanted to formalize it. Thanks though!

BiP

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook