My 3rd question - About Stellar Spectrum

In summary, the broadening of spectral lines in stars is caused by three main mechanisms: natural broadening, Doppler (thermal) broadening, and pressure (collisional) broadening. The higher the temperature or pressure, the wider the spectral lines due to increased collisions between atoms or ions. However, the area of the absorption line (width times intensity) should not always be the same and may vary depending on other factors such as the density of the gas in the stellar atmosphere.
ThomasJoe40
Hello, all

I have just read some foundamental concepts about EM spectrum in astronomy. One thing I don't quite understand is that "Stars with higher temperature or higher pressure shows a broadened line on its absorption spectrum". A brief explanation states that a higher temperature or pressure leads to a greater number of atomic collisions each time.

I am not absolutely convinced with the relation between atomic collision and broadening absorption line. An assuption I made is that the KE produced by collisions between atoms or ions does not absolutely fit the certain energy levels of an element (Hydrogen?). So, the broad of an absorption line is due to these random collisions. With higher the temperature or pressure, there should be a greater probabilities of collisions in each instance, which should leads to a broader line.

One last thing I can't figure out with is that the area of the absorption line (width times intensity) is always the same (same energy produced) Why? :confused:

Astronomy news on Phys.org
There are three main mechanisms causing the broadening of spectral lines:
  1. Natural Broadening (due to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle)
  2. Doppler (thermal) Broadening
  3. Pressure (collisional) Broadening
It seems that OP is mixing together mechanisms 2. and 3. in his post.

The source of Doppler Broadening is the fact that in thermal equilibrium the atoms in the stellar atmosphere are moving randomly with velocities described by Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution. The light emitted or absorbed by the atoms is affected by Doppler effect: blue-shifted or red-shifted depending on the atom's velocity relative to the observer. The higher is the temperature, the wider is the distribution of velocities of the atoms and thus the broader line observed.

On the other hand, in case of the Collisional Broadening, the width of the spectral line is proportional to the density of the gas. The denser is the stellar atmosphere, the more frequent are the collisions and the broader is the line. This mechanism also explains the MK luminosity classes: The more luminous giant stars have lower densities in their upper atmospheres and thus their spectral lines are narrower. On the other hand, main-sequence stars have denser atmospheres where collisions are more frequent and thus the spectral lines are broader.

ThomasJoe40 said:
One last thing I can't figure out with is that the area of the absorption line (width times intensity) is always the same (same energy produced) Why?
This doesn't make sense to me. I don't think it is truth.

1. What is a stellar spectrum?

A stellar spectrum is a graph that shows the intensity of light emitted by a star at various wavelengths. It can provide information about the temperature, chemical composition, and movement of a star.

2. How is a stellar spectrum created?

A stellar spectrum is created by using a spectrograph to split the light from a star into its component wavelengths. This produces a spectrum of colored lines and dark bands, which can then be analyzed to determine the star's properties.

3. What can we learn from a stellar spectrum?

A stellar spectrum can provide valuable information about a star's temperature, chemical composition, and motion. It can also reveal the presence of certain elements and the strength of a star's magnetic field.

4. How do scientists use stellar spectra in their research?

Scientists use stellar spectra to study the characteristics of stars and their evolution. They can also compare spectra from different stars to better understand the properties of the universe and how it has changed over time.

5. What are the different types of stellar spectra?

There are three main types of stellar spectra: continuous, emission, and absorption. A continuous spectrum shows a smooth distribution of light at all wavelengths. An emission spectrum shows bright lines at specific wavelengths, indicating the presence of certain elements. An absorption spectrum shows dark lines at certain wavelengths, indicating that certain wavelengths of light have been absorbed by elements in the star's atmosphere.