1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

My 4 years undergraduate program in Astrophysics and Mathematics

1. Dec 13, 2013 #1
    After harboring the aspiration to read Astrophysics and Mathematics (I love all things adhering to abstract and logical reasoning; as such game theory, logic, military strategics, mathematical proofs ), I'm now in a 4 years double major undergraduate program in one of the well-know prestigious University in Australia. Prior to my enrollment, I hold a diploma in Material science from Singapore which allowed me to jump into the 3rd year of a Material science undergraduate program.
    But I was more interested in enjoying doing what I love.

I just completed my first year(foundation)
    The results were out last night and I score a credit pass (66 marks) for introductory calculus 2 and a credit pass for computer analysis (63 marks) The other units were a distinction.
    This semester has been terrible due to the fact that computational analysis (Matlab and Mathematica) were forcing me to stay awake for nights without sleep. It was pretty much a cyclic pattern of awarding myself a night of sleep after staying awake for 2 night to design codes for solving computations.
    A combination of physical stress and expectation of myself affected my performance during tests-anxieties mostly.
    I put in around 10-15 hours a week for introductory calculus 2 and if necessary skip sleep just to derive that satisfaction from problem solving.
    1-2 hours a week for electives as such quantitative economics and it gets me a distinction but I indifferent. In fact, I feel intellectually inferior-there is nothing to be proud of scoring a high grade for something lacking in intellectual contents.
    I cloak around 30 hours a week for computational analysis.
    In short, I would say I scored better than what I expected for computational analysis but on the overall, falling short of my expectation. Anything less than a distinction is terrible for me.
    I do hope to pursue pure mathematics at the honors level.

My gpa stands at around 5.2/7. I'm thinking of exceeding the stipulated 150 credit at some point by taking on a unit known as 'non-linear dynamics'. Is my gpa healthy? Would I be risking too much? I would appreciate a deeper insight on the study of non-linear dynamics too.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted