How to Calculate Tire Contact Area from Weight and Pressure

• Thread starter dumguy
  • Start date
So are you satisfied now that it is OK?In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving calculating the area of each tire that is in contact with the pavement, given the weight of a car and the observed tire pressure. The solution involves using the equation A=F/P and converting units to find the area to be 0.01666 sq.meters. The conversation also addresses difficulties with inputting equations and significant digits.
dumguy
[SOLVED] my anwers does not look right

Homework Statement

A car has a weight of 15000N. If the pressure of each of the tires is observed to be 225KPa, calculate the area of each tire that is in contact with the pavement.

Homework Equations

A=F/P

The Attempt at a Solution

A=0.01666sq.meters

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. Could you show your working an intermediate steps, please. You are more likely to be helped if you do this, since people will be able to follow your working rather than do it themselves.

Just learning the language for inputting my equations, exponents and all that.

Received via PM:
dumguy said:
I assume that each tire supports 1/4 of the weight of the car and that works out to be 3750N.I convert the tire pressure from 225KPa into N/sq.meters and do the equation A=F/P. This gives me 0.01666sq.meters. All of which I am doing in SI and rounding with significant digits. I just don't know how to type that.

That looks fine to me.

1. Why do my answers not look right?

There could be many reasons why your answers do not look right. It could be due to a mistake in your calculations, incorrect data input, or a misunderstanding of the problem. Double-check your work and make sure you understand the problem before moving on.

2. How can I ensure my answers are accurate?

To ensure accuracy in your answers, it is important to follow the correct steps in the scientific method. This includes carefully collecting and analyzing data, using reliable sources, and checking your work for any errors. It can also be helpful to have a colleague or mentor review your work for additional feedback.

3. Can I use a calculator for my calculations?

Yes, you can use a calculator for your calculations. However, it is important to make sure you are using the correct equations and inputting the data correctly into the calculator. Also, be aware of any potential rounding or calculation errors that may occur.

4. Why do my results differ from what I expected?

There are a few possible reasons for your results to differ from what you expected. It could be due to human error, equipment malfunction, or external factors that were not taken into account. It is important to carefully review your methods and data to identify any potential sources of error.

5. What should I do if my answers are consistently incorrect?

If you are consistently getting incorrect answers, it may be helpful to consult with a colleague or seek guidance from a mentor or supervisor. They may be able to provide insights or identify any mistakes you may be making. It is also important to continue practicing and refining your skills in order to improve your accuracy in the future.