Can a Cold Virus Affect Your Back?

In summary, the common cold is a respiratory disease caused by rhinovirus and can also produce symptoms such as sore throat, cough, muscle aches, headache, postnasal drip, and decreased appetite. While there is no concrete evidence, some people have reported experiencing lower back pain during a bad cold, possibly due to the virus affecting their back muscles. This is a common phenomenon and may be exacerbated by a fever.
Rainy
Is it possible to have a cold virus in your back or affect your back. I recently had a very bad cold and now my lower back is killing me. My mom says you can have a cold in your back. Is this an old wives tale?

Biology news on Phys.org
Me Too!

I can't remember when it started, but for the longest time, I usually get sharp pains in my lower back whenever I get a bad cold. I am a 22 year-old in excellent physical condition. I NEVER have back problems--only when I get a bad cold.

Right now I am on day two of a pretty bad cold and my back hurts like I had been lifting 100lb boxes using only my lower back for the past week. I can't find any info on the internet about it. I have noticed that the pain is must worse when I have a fever too. (Ibuprofen helps quite a bit).

You have company here. https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=207965

Not that we came up with any useful answers, but since this is essentially the same question, I'm going to lock this thread. Feel free to continue the discussion in the open thread linked above.

1. Can a cold virus cause back pain?

Yes, a cold virus can cause back pain in some individuals. This is because the inflammation caused by the virus can affect the nerves in the back, leading to pain and discomfort.

2. How does a cold virus affect the back?

A cold virus can affect the back by causing inflammation, which can put pressure on the nerves and lead to back pain. Additionally, the body's immune response to the virus can also cause muscle aches and pains, including in the back.

3. Is back pain a common symptom of a cold virus?

While back pain is not one of the most common symptoms of a cold virus, it can occur in some individuals. Other more common symptoms include a runny nose, sore throat, and cough.

4. Can a cold virus cause long-term back problems?

In most cases, a cold virus will not cause long-term back problems. However, if the virus leads to a more serious illness, such as pneumonia, it can cause complications that may result in long-term back pain.

5. What can I do to relieve back pain caused by a cold virus?

If you are experiencing back pain due to a cold virus, there are a few things you can do to help relieve it. These include taking over-the-counter pain medication, applying heat or ice to the affected area, and practicing gentle stretches and exercises to improve flexibility and reduce tension in the muscles.