My band got offered a record deal the other day

• Thread starter icvotria
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Band
In summary, the band got offered a record deal and is excited about it. They are worried about some clauses in the contract, but overall are happy. They recommend getting a lawyer to look over the contract and be careful about signing anything until you have completely checked it out.
icvotria
My band got offered a record deal the other day! Hooray! :biggrin: We haven't actually signed anything yet so maybe I'm being premature in posting this but I'm too excited not to. I've been trying really hard not to get excited about it till it's definite but I've just burst! Yay!

Physics news on Phys.org
Great news! Glad to hear it. What kind of music does your band play?

Be careful, even if it is a major label, get it checked out by a knowledgeable attorney. If it's a small company, go over it with a fine tooth comb. They can own your stuff until the end of time.

And Congratulations! :approve:

Thanks! Hooray! We started out playing ska punk type stuff but we're sort of more like ska emo now if that exists with some metal for good measure. We try not to stick too closely to genres. We've been playing together for nearly 6 years now unsigned so we've been getting so desparate for a deal that if someone offered us a 50p advance, no ownership rights and they get all the royalties we'd probably have taken it! I think we need to keep hearing 'be careful be careful be careful' over and over and over again or we might sign our kidneys away in a fit of excitement so thanks Evo for the advice!

icvotria said:
Thanks! Hooray! We started out playing ska punk type stuff but we're sort of more like ska emo now if that exists with some metal for good measure. We try not to stick too closely to genres. We've been playing together for nearly 6 years now unsigned so we've been getting so desparate for a deal that if someone offered us a 50p advance, no ownership rights and they get all the royalties we'd probably have taken it! I think we need to keep hearing 'be careful be careful be careful' over and over and over again or we might sign our kidneys away in a fit of excitement so thanks Evo for the advice!
Watch out for that kidney clause! :biggrin:

Oh and when you make it big, can I borrow some money? :redface:

Evo said:
Oh and when you make it big, can I borrow some money? :redface:
And I was just going to ask for backstage passes to a concert! :biggrin:

Congrats icvotria!

Ska-punk-emo-metal? I'm intrigued. Any chance of hearing some samples?
Congrats by the way.

:rofl: You know, when I read ska-punk too quickly, I read "skunk." I think you should blend all the names together and create your own genre: skunkey metal. Then you can have a concert in Ivan's backyard for all his striped friends. :biggrin: (Calling the music skunkey is not to be taken in any way as an insult or critique fo the style; it is merely the wanderings of my mind when I read things too quickly and words blur together.)

http://rapidshare.de/files/2092998/02_-_02_-_shiraz2.mp3.html
That's one of our songs. It's really old and there's only about a minute of it but I haven't got any others on my computer! It is however a good example of skunkey metal, a new genre of music that's a big hit with the woodland creatures. :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
icvotria said:
http://rapidshare.de/files/2092998/02-02-shiraz.mp3.html
That's one of our songs.
Mmmm... I'm getting a 'file not found' message. Was it moved?

Talk about preoccupation... I forgot that I'd put the keyboard aside to eat my breakfast, and just stuck my finger into an egg trying to type that. :redface:

Danger said:
Mmmm... I'm getting a 'file not found' message. Was it moved?

Talk about preoccupation... I forgot that I'd put the keyboard aside to eat my breakfast, and just stuck my finger into an egg trying to type that. :redface:
:rofl: :rofl:

I typed it in wrong, sorry. I think I've fixed it now.

icvotria said:
:rofl: :rofl:

I typed it in wrong, sorry. I think I've fixed it now.
Nope, not yet. (Are you laughing at my absent-mindedness, or my typing yolk?)

Ahhhh, it works now (fingers crossed...) God, my computer's so slooooow, it really takes it out of you. I was laughing at your eggy finger. Hee hee hee, it's still making me laugh, it's a really funny image :rofl:

Danger said:
Nope, not yet.
Scroll to the bottom of the page and click <FREE>. Then wait ~60 seconds and click <Download: 02_-_02_-_shiraz2.mp3> when it appears.

I thought ska-punk died when emo became popular. Seems not. Hooray!
I like that. Which instrument do you play?
If you ever play in Hull, send me a PM :biggrin:

Brilliant! Fantastic news.

Let me know if you're ever playing Manchester or Sheffield, I'll be there.

Can I ask what the label is? :smile:

matthyaouw said:
Which instrument do you play?
I play the bass. We've played Hull a couple of times. The first time I got really drunk and fell right on my face after the gig and I've still got a big scar on my top lip from it :cry: I'll let you know next time we play there.

Brewnog said:
Let me know if you're ever playing Manchester or Sheffield, I'll be there.

The label's 10past12, it's a guy from Snuff's label. I think we're playing Manchester pretty soon, at Satan's Hollow. I'll let you know when we get the dates booked. That'll be really exciting!

Nice! I look forward to it!

Okay, third time lucky. Thanks, hitssquad, but that's what I was trying to do the first 2 times. Instead of the download ticket message, it couldn't find the file. It worked fine this time.
I really like that music, Icvotria. It would cost me several thousand dollars to come and hear you in person, though, so I'm just going to have to hope that you post some more of it.

Thanks Danger! Perhaps now you've flattered me I'll try figure out how to turn cds into mp3 files and upload some more :biggrin:

icvotria said:
http://rapidshare.de/files/2092998/02_-_02_-_shiraz2.mp3.html
That's one of our songs. It's really old and there's only about a minute of it but I haven't got any others on my computer! It is however a good example of skunkey metal, a new genre of music that's a big hit with the woodland creatures. :biggrin:

Hey, thanks! Cool. I like it...want more! :biggrin:

Yeah, Danger and I will both have to wait for you to do your North American tour. :cool:

What does it mean to get offered a record deal?

A record deal is a contract between a recording artist or band and a record label. The label agrees to promote and distribute the artist's music, while the artist agrees to create new music and go on tour to promote it.

How do record deals work?

Record deals can vary in their specifics, but generally, the record label will provide funding for recording and promotion, and the artist will receive a percentage of the profits from album sales and tours. The label may also have control over the creative direction of the artist's music.

Is getting a record deal a guarantee of success?

While a record deal can provide a major boost to an artist's career, it is not a guarantee of success. The music industry is highly competitive and success depends on a variety of factors, including the quality of the music, marketing and promotion efforts, and luck.

What should I consider before signing a record deal?

Before signing a record deal, it is important to carefully review the terms and conditions of the contract. This includes understanding the percentage of profits you will receive, the length of the contract, and any creative control the label may have. It is also important to consult with a lawyer to ensure that the contract is fair and in your best interest.

What other options do I have besides a record deal?

There are other options for musicians besides traditional record deals. Some artists choose to self-release their music, using online platforms and social media to promote their work. Others may opt for independent labels or distribution deals, which offer greater control over their music and career.