Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

My band got offered a record deal the other day

1. May 30, 2005 #1
    My band got offered a record deal the other day!!!! Hooray!! :biggrin: We haven't actually signed anything yet so maybe I'm being premature in posting this but I'm too excited not to. I've been trying really hard not to get excited about it till it's definite but I've just burst!!! Yay!!

2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2005 #2
    Great news! Glad to hear it. What kind of music does your band play?

4. May 30, 2005 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Be careful, even if it is a major label, get it checked out by a knowledgeable attorney. If it's a small company, go over it with a fine tooth comb. They can own your stuff until the end of time.

And Congratulations!!!!! :approve:

5. May 30, 2005 #4
    Thanks!!! Hooray!! We started out playing ska punk type stuff but we're sort of more like ska emo now if that exists with some metal for good measure. We try not to stick too closely to genres. We've been playing together for nearly 6 years now unsigned so we've been getting so desparate for a deal that if someone offered us a 50p advance, no ownership rights and they get all the royalties we'd probably have taken it!! I think we need to keep hearing 'be careful be careful be careful' over and over and over again or we might sign our kidneys away in a fit of excitement so thanks Evo for the advice!

6. May 30, 2005 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Watch out for that kidney clause!!! :biggrin:

Oh and when you make it big, can I borrow some money? :redface:

7. May 30, 2005 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And I was just going to ask for backstage passes to a concert! :biggrin:

Congrats icvotria!

8. May 31, 2005 #7

matthyaouw

Gold Member

Ska-punk-emo-metal? I'm intrigued. Any chance of hearing some samples?
    Congrats by the way.

9. May 31, 2005 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: You know, when I read ska-punk too quickly, I read "skunk." I think you should blend all the names together and create your own genre: skunkey metal. Then you can have a concert in Ivan's backyard for all his striped friends. :biggrin: (Calling the music skunkey is not to be taken in any way as an insult or critique fo the style; it is merely the wanderings of my mind when I read things too quickly and words blur together.)

10. May 31, 2005 #9
    Last edited: May 31, 2005
  11. May 31, 2005 #10

Danger

Gold Member

Mmmm.... I'm getting a 'file not found' message. Was it moved?

Talk about preoccupation... I forgot that I'd put the keyboard aside to eat my breakfast, and just stuck my finger into an egg trying to type that. :redface:

12. May 31, 2005 #11
    :rofl: :rofl:

I typed it in wrong, sorry. I think I've fixed it now.

13. May 31, 2005 #12

Danger

Gold Member

Nope, not yet. (Are you laughing at my absent-mindedness, or my typing yolk?)

14. May 31, 2005 #13
    Ahhhh, it works now (fingers crossed...) God, my computer's so slooooow, it really takes it out of you. I was laughing at your eggy finger. Hee hee hee, it's still making me laugh, it's a really funny image :rofl:

15. May 31, 2005 #14
    Scroll to the bottom of the page and click <FREE>. Then wait ~60 seconds and click <Download: 02_-_02_-_shiraz2.mp3> when it appears.

16. May 31, 2005 #15

matthyaouw

Gold Member

I thought ska-punk died when emo became popular. Seems not. Hooray!
    I like that. Which instrument do you play?
    If you ever play in Hull, send me a PM :biggrin:

17. May 31, 2005 #16

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Brilliant! Fantastic news.

Let me know if you're ever playing Manchester or Sheffield, I'll be there.

Can I ask what the label is? :smile:

18. May 31, 2005 #17
    I play the bass. We've played Hull a couple of times. The first time I got really drunk and fell right on my face after the gig and I've still got a big scar on my top lip from it :cry: I'll let you know next time we play there.

The label's 10past12, it's a guy from Snuff's label. I think we're playing Manchester pretty soon, at Satan's Hollow. I'll let you know when we get the dates booked. That'll be really exciting!

19. Jun 1, 2005 #18

matthyaouw

Gold Member

Nice! I look forward to it!

20. Jun 1, 2005 #19

Danger

Gold Member

Okay, third time lucky. Thanks, hitssquad, but that's what I was trying to do the first 2 times. Instead of the download ticket message, it couldn't find the file. It worked fine this time.
    I really like that music, Icvotria. It would cost me several thousand dollars to come and hear you in person, though, so I'm just gonna have to hope that you post some more of it.

21. Jun 1, 2005 #20
    Thanks Danger! Perhaps now you've flattered me I'll try figure out how to turn cds into mp3 files and upload some more :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?