Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

My biology sub yesterday

1. Sep 16, 2005 #1
    How can people be so ignorant, seriously?

Bassically, he was a sub for my class because of an AP comference my teacher had to attend. I was simply studying some biology when this sub comes up to me and asks me if we learned about evolution in this class yet. I respond with a no, but we will in a month or so. He starts rambling on about how it is a huge conspiracy, how the government is keeping the truth away from the students. How everyone is saying "tell the students the truth!" and the government always responds with "NO! WE HAVE TO TEACH THEM EVOLUTION!". He also said how all evidence is completely made up and fake just to try to prove it. Also, he said that when they ask how scientists date rocks, they respond "By the fossils". And when asked how they date the fossils, they respond with "By the rocks". I was sitting there thinking 'what kind of a psychotic crackpot is talking to me right now?'. Anyway, he goes on to say how he was also brainwashed like us, and a book entitled "The Death of Evolution" opened his eyes.

Now, how can someone base their entire beliefs to one book which has very little credibility? This guy has a masters in engineering, so he shouldn't be just some random weirdo..... Bassically, he read a book, believed everything and that it was all there is to it, and that was it. Nothing could convince him otherwise.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2005 #2

JamesU

Gold Member

This person shouldn't be allowed near students, he'll ruin their minds! even if the students believe evolution is wrong, they do not need to waste half of class time listening to half-credible conspiracy theories. :|

In science the other day, I had some crazy lady who one minute was you best friend, and as soon as she heard tapping, she would start screaming. I don't know what it was but she HATED tapping.

4. Sep 16, 2005 #3
    Did you start a class-wide conspiracy to drive her insane? :rofl: :tongue2: :biggrin:

5. Sep 16, 2005 #4
    You should complain to the principle about him. When nothing is done (When, not if) tell your parents to complain and tell all the other non-christian-fundamentalist parents to complain to.

6. Sep 16, 2005 #5

JamesU

Gold Member

I should've.

another sub, who's been banned from our school. Her name was Ms. Way, and her little slogan was 'it's my way, or the highway' My friend said he chose the highway and was kicked out of class for the day. She once lied to our entire class and said her name was Ms. Myway. people believed her. I'm not sure why she was banned, I know she was a screamer...

7. Sep 16, 2005 #6

I am hoping he said it towards me, because your sub was a regular sub. Just because she yelled doesn't make her deserve being banned or whatever. Deal with it! :tongue2:

8. Sep 16, 2005 #7

JamesU

Gold Member

I never said she should be banned. she should just be smacked

9. Sep 16, 2005 #8
    Was she at least hot?

10. Sep 16, 2005 #9

JamesU

Gold Member

she was like 70

11. Sep 16, 2005 #10
    In all seriousness I'm sorry to hear about these crazy teachers. It was the same in my day, but I had been hoping things had gotten better. Kids obviously deserve teachers with stable personalities. There is something really wrong with the system.

12. Sep 16, 2005 #11
    you didn't answer my question.

13. Sep 16, 2005 #12

JamesU

Gold Member

NO. she was OLD

14. Sep 16, 2005 #13
    Teachers like this are rare. Although I've had some fairly incompetent teachers, none of them have been like this guy.

15. Sep 16, 2005 #14
    that just means she'll know what she's doing.

16. Sep 17, 2005 #15
    Moose -

Tell me you will pass this on to your principal? And your regular teacher?

17. Sep 17, 2005 #16
    My entire class talked to our teacher about it.... When I go see my counselor in a few days for a schedule change for next semester I will bring it up to see what she thinks about it :uhh:

18. Sep 17, 2005 #17

cronxeh

Gold Member

I wonder what would happen if we had PhD's teaching HS level Biology classes.. just imagine Moonbear as a HS teacher :tongue2:

But you should perhaps have a "20 reasons why Evolution is true" pamplet with you with all advanced science in it.. Just one of these days I'll make one :zzz:

19. Sep 17, 2005 #18

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As others have already suggested, DEFINITELY tell both your regular biology teacher and your principal about this sub. Unfortunately, the requirements for being a sub are pretty minimal, and often don't even require having a college degree, just a certain minimum number of credits. They should know not to request this sub again in the future.

20. Sep 17, 2005 #19
    well you are lucky they actually teach evolution in your school. when i was in school they skipped over the chapter lol.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?