Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

My brain is fried and I need help

1. Aug 12, 2008 #1
    I'm doing some problems for physics at the end of one the chapters and I get to a question that asks
    "At what temperature does Fahrenheit and Celsius have the same numerical value?"

Now the answer is -40, but I'm not sure how this answer was established. Between class, lab and study time, I've been pouring over physics for the last 7 hours and I'm toasted. I have a feeling that the answer is pretty simple, but I can't seem to get it. Does anybody have any answers?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2008 #2

Defennder

Homework Helper

Well you just have to equate the temperature in one scale to the formula for conversion in the other scale and solve the unknown, right?

4. Aug 12, 2008 #3

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

from Dan Monaghan:
    That is simple first-year highschool Algebra. You barely need any physics knowledge at all. F: fahrenheit, water boils at ~212, freezes at ~32. C: Celsius, water boils at 100, freezes at 0. Find the linear equation.

5. Aug 12, 2008 #4
    F = (9/5)C + 32
    We're looking for an F where F = C, so

F = (9/5)F + 32

-(4/5)F = 32

F = -32 * 5/4

F = -40

So at -40 degrees the Celsius value is the same as the Fahrenheit value.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?