My brother sacrificed some toast today

• Thread starter phyzmatix
  • Start date
In summary, the kitchen positively reeks of smoke. Various air fresheners and open windows are trying to fight the smell, but it's still very strong. The only way to get rid of the smell is to try one of several methods, including fanning the room, using candles, or using anti-toast.
phyzmatix
...and now the kitchen positively reeks of smoke.

A combination of open windows and various air fresheners are fighting a losing battle in our kitchen at the moment. It seems as if the goddess of stink has taken kindly to my brother's offering and has had the smell ingrained into the very cupboards and the kitchen table itself.

Any ideas for getting rid of the smell?

Physics news on Phys.org
room freshner...??

phyzmatix said:
...and various air fresheners are fighting a losing battle...

They just seem to be masking the stink somewhat. Actually making it worse, believe it or not, now you've got stink overlayed with what some idiot somewhere thought was the smell of "lavender blossom"...

*sigh*

My question is. How the hell do you burn...toast?

phyzmatix said:
They just seem to be masking the stink somewhat. Actually making it worse, believe it or not, now you've got stink overlayed with what some idiot somewhere thought was the smell of "lavender blossom"...

*sigh*

sorry for that dude...i didn't realize the smells will mix :frown:
well at least it seems that you are liking the amell of lavender blossom...:rofl:

vincentm said:

Ive had toast jam in a pop-up toaster and keep it on. Sometimes a temperature sensor or timer tells the circuit to perform the pop-up function and completion of the "pop-up" turns the burners off. If something goes wrong... either the sensor/timer or the popping, it can have the above result.

Of course... some people prefer their toast burnt and set the temperature sensor/timer high! (One of my stepsons... be that strangely the picky one! )

You could set up a fan at the window pointing to blow out the window... drawing the burnt-toast-lavender air from inside the house.

cook yourself a strong smelling curry... but don't burn it

Burn some anti-toast. The smellons should annihilate and leave the room smelling normally again.

Just make sure all of your butter is safely wrapped and locked away in the fridge -- you don't want the smells mixing!

Usually just an open window, a fan, and time will do the trick...or at least you'll eventually become adapted to the smell and stop noticing it. :biggrin:

physics girl phd said:
Ive had toast jam in a pop-up toaster and keep it on. Sometimes a temperature sensor or timer tells the circuit to perform the pop-up function and completion of the "pop-up" turns the burners off. If something goes wrong... either the sensor/timer or the popping, it can have the above result.

Of course... some people prefer their toast burnt and set the temperature sensor/timer high! (One of my stepsons... be that strangely the picky one! )

The toaster is an old one, suffering from Alzheimers no less and often forgets to stop toasting. We normally keep an eye on it, but the muppet didn't this time...

WarPhalange said:
Burn some anti-toast. The smellons should annihilate and leave the room smelling normally again.

HAHAHAHA! That's an excellent idea!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Now where to find some anti-toast?

Moonbear said:
Usually just an open window, a fan, and time will do the trick...or at least you'll eventually become adapted to the smell and stop noticing it. :biggrin:

Well, this morning the smell is still strong in this one. Think I'll also take down the kitchen curtains for a wash. That should help (until I can find some anti-toast :biggrin:).

WarPhalange said:

Brilliant! :rofl:
On a somewhat serious note, in addition to the fan and window approach, some nice non-smelly candles can help a lot. W and I are both candle fanatics, but she's allergic to smoke and I'm a smoker. The updraughts from the candles catch the smoke and carry it up to the ceiling.

vincentm said:

Method #32: Friday night on a Boy Scout campout, put the bread in the oven portion of the stove that comes with the cabin (just to see if it's possible to make toast). On Sunday inspection prior to departure, deny the toast is yours. Just tell the inspector, "Couldn't be ours. We completely forgot to bring Brillo pads."

Of course, on a campout, the smell is a lot less noticeable since everything smells like smoke.

Danger said:
Brilliant! :rofl:
On a somewhat serious note, in addition to the fan and window approach, some nice non-smelly candles can help a lot. W and I are both candle fanatics, but she's allergic to smoke and I'm a smoker. The updraughts from the candles catch the smoke and carry it up to the ceiling.

Ahh... yes! and incense or sage might help too.
http://www.meyna.com/use.html":
"FOR HOUSE CLEANSING: To cleanse and bless your house or apartment, again use the entire bundle to light. Open your front door. Go to the back of the house, and cover as much of the room as you can reach. Be sure to hold the bundle as high as you can. Don't forget the corners of the rooms. Work from the back toward the open door at the front. Go into every room, including bathrooms, closets, utility rooms, kitchen...everywhere. When you get to the front door, say "Anything not here for the highest and best good of those who live here, be gone. You are not wanted, and you are not welcome. This home has been cleansed and blessed." Then walk out the door, close it, and sage around the door and door frame. Leave the bundle outside to burn itself out. Make sure you put it on dirt, or on something that will not burn."

Last edited by a moderator:
Try burning some scrambled eggs and some pancakes. Then your kitchen will smell like a Bob Evan's.

physics girl phd said:
Ahh... yes! and incense or sage might help too.
http://www.meyna.com/use.html":
"FOR HOUSE CLEANSING: To cleanse and bless your house or apartment, again use the entire bundle to light. Open your front door. Go to the back of the house, and cover as much of the room as you can reach. Be sure to hold the bundle as high as you can. Don't forget the corners of the rooms. Work from the back toward the open door at the front. Go into every room, including bathrooms, closets, utility rooms, kitchen...everywhere. When you get to the front door, say "Anything not here for the highest and best good of those who live here, be gone. You are not wanted, and you are not welcome. This home has been cleansed and blessed." Then walk out the door, close it, and sage around the door and door frame. Leave the bundle outside to burn itself out. Make sure you put it on dirt, or on something that will not burn."

Could you use bundles of toast if you don't have any sage around?

Last edited by a moderator:
Why bother trying to get rid of the smell, get used to it like i have, i carbonize food so often i buy oven cleaner in bulk to clean the pans.

Any one for a portion of dark crunchy shepherds pie?

After ritually chanting in my kitchen while the smoke from a number of bundles of anti-toast casually annihilated the smells from the original burnt toast and subsequently burnt curry and pancakes I must admit that the place is actually starting to smell better...

You guys are amazing!

[Note: My family assures me that the improvement is probably due to the curtains having been washed, but I summarily refuse to believe such utterly obvious crackpottery. I mean honestly...tsh...]

:rofl:

phyzmatix said:
[Note: My family assures me that the improvement is probably due to the curtains having been washed, but I summarily refuse to believe such utterly obvious crackpottery. I mean honestly...tsh...]

It must be terrible to have been raised in a cult. I admire your courage in defying them, and assure you that we all have your back.

What does it mean to sacrifice toast?

To sacrifice toast means to give up or offer something, often for the benefit or well-being of others.

Why would someone sacrifice toast?

There could be various reasons for someone to sacrifice toast. Some may do it as a religious or spiritual practice, while others may do it as a symbolic gesture or to show gratitude. It could also be a selfless act to help others in need.

How is sacrificing toast related to science?

Sacrificing toast may not have a direct relation to science, but it could be seen as a social or cultural phenomenon that can be studied and analyzed by scientists to understand human behavior and beliefs.

What are some examples of toast sacrifice?

Examples of toast sacrifice could include offering toast as part of a religious ritual, giving up toast to someone who needs it more, or choosing not to eat toast as a form of self-discipline or sacrifice. It could also refer to the act of intentionally burning or destroying toast for a specific purpose.

Is sacrificing toast a common practice?

The act of sacrificing toast may not be as common as other practices, but it could be part of certain cultures, religions, or traditions. It could also be a personal choice or decision made by individuals for various reasons.