Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

My Campaign for Mentorhood

1. Oct 25, 2005 #1

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

I haven't worked out my platform yet, but my first promise to you, the people of PF, should I be selected as a mentor, is to ban any member upon their own request. I noticed in smurf's sociology paper thread that there are many members who wish to be banned but are too polite to blatantly violate our forum rules. I can assure you that I would be sensitive to the needs of all of our constituency, not just the rude and ignorant, and ban any member, regardless of whether or not that member actually broke any rules.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2005 #2
    you little bugger!

You're totally scamming my idea!

4. Oct 25, 2005 #3
    These mods are just plain heartless....they don't care about my grades at all.

5. Oct 25, 2005 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Yah there all evil. I had a tooth ache and all they cared about was taking my chocolates! :mad: :mad: :mad:

6. Oct 25, 2005 #5

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Contrarily, my fellow PFer, I began this campaign specifically to serve the needs that you highlighted as being something you want that is currently lacking in the system. I am doing this for you and I promise that, if selected, I will always serve the needs of the people of PF, wherever and however they may be voiced.

7. Oct 25, 2005 #6

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So this is sort af a "friendly despot" sort of thing?

Would I get a warning for saying that?

8. Oct 25, 2005 #7

Diane_

Homework Helper

Hmm. So, you'll ban people who say they want to be banned whether you have reason or not? Would the corollary then be that you will not ban those who say they do not want to be banned? Would we then be allowed to post off-topic in any forum we wish, give complete solutions at the first crack in the homework forums, eat crackers in bed, and never wash behind our ears? Promise that, and I think your victory would be assured!

9. Oct 25, 2005 #8

Mk

That really is a good idea :smile: I know that PF sometimes distracts me from things... But what if one suddenly needs PF, to finish? Or if one has physics homework? Or needs to do a survey? Or use the bio or sociology or history or cosmology or engineering or tech forums?

And people will also be making excuses like that so they can chat... ah ha! "Banners" will only ban people from GD! That was probably your original thought, but yeah. Its a good idea!!!

I think loseyourname is a very respectable, dedicated member that is certainly around enough to do a good job.

10. Oct 25, 2005 #9
    You have my vote!!! I think maybe a ban from everywhere but the homework section would probably be the best idea.

11. Oct 25, 2005 #10

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I'll vote for you LYN.

Gee, if you guys want to be banned, why didn't you just ask?

OK, I have invalidated all GOOBF cards. WATCH OUT!!!!! :devil:

12. Oct 25, 2005 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

All the better anyway, I need them to burn to stay warm with all this mucky snow around. :tongue:

Yes, I do believe we need a despot or two around; it makes the rest of us look extremely benevolent by comparison. We'll be revered as goddesses, Evo! :biggrin: :uhh: Wait, we already are, right? Right?!

13. Oct 25, 2005 #12
    WAIT!!!!

I have two, and I don't want to be banned!!!! And I don't have any stinking term papers to write, or grades to worry about.... No Evo, no!!

:surprised

14. Oct 25, 2005 #13

Evo

Sorry, I've already written a program that will be automatically banning random members for the next few weeks. I thought it might be fun to start a thread "who's going to be banned next?" :biggrin: Every time you guess correctly, your name is exempt for the next 24 hours.

Of course a large shipment of dark chocolate might get your name permanently removed from the list. o:)

15. Oct 25, 2005 #14

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ooh, it's like a reality show! I'll call Fox network.
    Say, do you mind if I just leave this dark chocolate fountain here with you, Evo?
    I really don't have room for it at my place. :wink:
    [​IMG]

16. Oct 25, 2005 #15

Evo

Ooooh, looks like MIH is exempt. :approve: :biggrin:

17. Oct 25, 2005 #16

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

So you don't give your students grades and don't have them write papers?

18. Oct 25, 2005 #17
    I'm not teaching at the moment. :biggrin: Occasional subbing, no grading, life is good. :smile: :smile:

19. Oct 25, 2005 #18

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Excuse me? I simply offered a possible explanation for your tooth pain.
    I made no attempt to talk you out of your precious chocolate. (And this of course had nothing to do with the fact that, for medical reasons, I am no longer supposed to eat chocolate . :uhh:)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?