Should Members be Banned Upon Request? A Promise from My Campaign for Mentorhood

• Thread starter loseyourname
  • Start date
In summary, Evo plans to ban any member who requests it, in order to make sure that the forum remains a safe and enjoyable place for all.
loseyourname
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
I haven't worked out my platform yet, but my first promise to you, the people of PF, should I be selected as a mentor, is to ban any member upon their own request. I noticed in smurf's sociology paper thread that there are many members who wish to be banned but are too polite to blatantly violate our forum rules. I can assure you that I would be sensitive to the needs of all of our constituency, not just the rude and ignorant, and ban any member, regardless of whether or not that member actually broke any rules.

Physics news on Phys.org
you little bugger!

You're totally scamming my idea!

loseyourname said:
I haven't worked out my platform yet, but my first promise to you, the people of PF, should I be selected as a mentor, is to ban any member upon their own request. I noticed in smurf's sociology paper thread that there are many members who wish to be banned but are too polite to blatantly violate our forum rules. I can assure you that I would be sensitive to the needs of all of our constituency, not just the rude and ignorant, and ban any member, regardless of whether or not that member actually broke any rules.

These mods are just plain heartless...they don't care about my grades at all.

Yah there all evil. I had a tooth ache and all they cared about was taking my chocolates! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Smurf said:
you little bugger!
You're totally scamming my idea!

Contrarily, my fellow PFer, I began this campaign specifically to serve the needs that you highlighted as being something you want that is currently lacking in the system. I am doing this for you and I promise that, if selected, I will always serve the needs of the people of PF, wherever and however they may be voiced.

So this is sort af a "friendly despot" sort of thing?

Would I get a warning for saying that?

Hmm. So, you'll ban people who say they want to be banned whether you have reason or not? Would the corollary then be that you will not ban those who say they do not want to be banned? Would we then be allowed to post off-topic in any forum we wish, give complete solutions at the first crack in the homework forums, eat crackers in bed, and never wash behind our ears? Promise that, and I think your victory would be assured!

loseyourname said:
That really is a good idea :smile: I know that PF sometimes distracts me from things... But what if one suddenly needs PF, to finish? Or if one has physics homework? Or needs to do a survey? Or use the bio or sociology or history or cosmology or engineering or tech forums?

And people will also be making excuses like that so they can chat... ah ha! "Banners" will only ban people from GD! That was probably your original thought, but yeah. Its a good idea!

I think loseyourname is a very respectable, dedicated member that is certainly around enough to do a good job.

You have my vote! I think maybe a ban from everywhere but the homework section would probably be the best idea.

I'll vote for you LYN.

Gee, if you guys want to be banned, why didn't you just ask?

OK, I have invalidated all GOOBF cards. WATCH OUT! :devil:

Evo said:
I'll vote for you LYN.
All the better anyway, I need them to burn to stay warm with all this mucky snow around. :tongue:

Yes, I do believe we need a despot or two around; it makes the rest of us look extremely benevolent by comparison. We'll be revered as goddesses, Evo! :biggrin: :uhh: Wait, we already are, right? Right?!

Evo said:
I'll vote for you LYN.
WAIT!

I have two, and I don't want to be banned! And I don't have any stinking term papers to write, or grades to worry about... No Evo, no!

Sorry, I've already written a program that will be automatically banning random members for the next few weeks. I thought it might be fun to start a thread "who's going to be banned next?" :biggrin: Every time you guess correctly, your name is exempt for the next 24 hours.

Of course a large shipment of dark chocolate might get your name permanently removed from the list. o:)

Evo said:
Sorry, I've already written a program that will be automatically banning random members for the next few weeks. I thought it might be fun to start a thread "who's going to be banned next?" :biggrin: Every time you guess correctly, your name is exempt for the next 24 hours.
Ooh, it's like a reality show! I'll call Fox network.
Evo said:
Of course a large shipment of dark chocolate might get your name permanently removed from the list. o:)
Say, do you mind if I just leave this dark chocolate fountain here with you, Evo?
I really don't have room for it at my place. :wink:
http://www.chocolatefountainsoftennessee.com/images/highres/SephraFlames.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ooooh, looks like MIH is exempt. :approve: :biggrin:

pattylou said:
WAIT!
I have two, and I don't want to be banned! And I don't have any stinking term papers to write, or grades to worry about... No Evo, no!

So you don't give your students grades and don't have them write papers?

I'm not teaching at the moment. :biggrin: Occasional subbing, no grading, life is good. :smile: :smile:

Pengwuino said:
Yah there all evil. I had a tooth ache and all they cared about was taking my chocolates! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Excuse me? I simply offered a possible explanation for your tooth pain.
I made no attempt to talk you out of your precious chocolate. (And this of course had nothing to do with the fact that, for medical reasons, I am no longer supposed to eat chocolate . :uhh:)

What is "My Campaign for Mentorhood"?

"My Campaign for Mentorhood" is a program designed to connect individuals looking for mentorship with experienced professionals in their field of interest. It aims to provide guidance, support, and valuable insights for mentees as they navigate their career paths.

Who can participate in "My Campaign for Mentorhood"?

Any individual who is seeking mentorship in their professional or personal life can participate in "My Campaign for Mentorhood". This program is open to people of all ages, backgrounds, and industries.

How does "My Campaign for Mentorhood" work?

Once an individual expresses interest in being a mentee, they will be matched with a mentor based on their interests and goals. The mentor and mentee will then communicate regularly, whether through in-person meetings, phone calls, or video chats, to discuss various topics and work towards achieving the mentee's objectives.

What are the benefits of being a mentor in "My Campaign for Mentorhood"?

Being a mentor in "My Campaign for Mentorhood" allows you to share your knowledge and expertise with someone who can benefit from your experiences. It also provides an opportunity for personal growth and development as you help guide and support someone else in their journey.

Can I participate in "My Campaign for Mentorhood" as both a mentor and mentee?

Yes, it is possible to participate in "My Campaign for Mentorhood" as both a mentor and a mentee. However, it is recommended to focus on one role at a time to fully benefit from the mentor-mentee relationship.