Photos of Ghent, Belgium - Van Eyck's Agnus Dei

• Thread starter marlon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Belgium
In summary, Ghent is a beautiful city with lots of history. The Three Towers of Ghent are a popular tourist destination. The city has a lot of nice bridges.
Physics news on Phys.org
Ghent's a lovely city :smile:

Good beer too :wink: Spent a few hours in the Bierkoning last time I was there o:)

J77 said:
Spent a few hours in the Bierkoning last time I was there o:)

Never visited "de dulle griet" or "de trollenkelder" ? They have lots of different beers there.

marlon

I love the butter-cream colors of the historic area. Very nice photos!

i love the river, hope one day i could be there.

I saw the traveling exhibt of 18th century Dutch paintings from your National Museum last week. Very Nice. You have a lovely country.

i got stranded from my group 18 km from Ieper with no money
caught a bus with no money and walked and hitchhiked for a bit of too

got very nice people

TripleS said:
i got stranded from my group 18 km from Ieper with no money
LOL

How did that happen ?

marlon

well...we stopped at this memorial...i was looking at the cross of remembrance when i realized the bus was leaving...i ran after it but it didnt stop...

i waited a while at the place but they didnt come back...so i got walk approx 7 km, hitchhiked 3km and caught a bus for the last 4 and found them at ieper

i got shouted lunch:biggrin:

Very awesome photos!

marlon said:
Never visited "de dulle griet" or "de trollenkelder" ? They have lots of different beers there.

marlon
Yeah -- have been to the trollenkelder, I think. It's across the other side of town from the castle -- heading through the square, right?

At least, I've been to a place with lots of beer and lots of trolls :smile:

Have a bit of Amsterdam...

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/4558/dsc02718ve9.jpg

Bridge in the Jordaan :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the significance of Van Eyck's Agnus Dei in Ghent, Belgium?

Van Eyck's Agnus Dei is a famous painting that is located in the St. Bavo's Cathedral in Ghent, Belgium. It is significant because it is one of the most iconic works of art from the Northern Renaissance period, and it is also considered to be one of the earliest examples of oil painting.

2. Who is the artist behind the "Agnus Dei" painting in Ghent, Belgium?

The artist behind the "Agnus Dei" painting in Ghent, Belgium is Jan van Eyck, a well-known Flemish painter from the 15th century. He is known for his meticulous attention to detail and use of vibrant colors in his paintings.

3. When was the "Agnus Dei" painting created?

The "Agnus Dei" painting was created in 1432 by Jan van Eyck. It took him over a year to complete the painting due to the intricate details and techniques he used.

4. What is the subject of Van Eyck's "Agnus Dei" painting?

The subject of Van Eyck's "Agnus Dei" painting is a lamb, symbolizing Jesus Christ, standing on an altar with a halo of light and a banner with a cross. This painting is a representation of the sacrificial lamb in Christianity.

5. Can visitors still see the original "Agnus Dei" painting in Ghent, Belgium?

Yes, visitors can still see the original "Agnus Dei" painting in Ghent, Belgium at the St. Bavo's Cathedral. It is displayed in a special chapel dedicated to the painting and is one of the most popular attractions in the city.

Back