My computer has stopped acknowledging CD's in the Disc Drive.

In summary, the person's computer is not recognizing any CDs that they have inserted. They have recently reformatted their computer, but the CDs that they have copied to their hard drive before the reformat work on their actual CD player. They are not sure what is wrong, but they think it may be something with the Windows OS.
wasteofo2
A few minutes ago, I had a CD in my computer which I was listening to. I switched the CD for another one, and it didn't recognize that CD. I tried 4 other CD's, and my computer keeps showing a little icon oc a CD next to my mouse right when the CD is put in, but then acts as if there's no CD in there. I recently has to reformat my whole computer, but these are all CD's which I had copied to my hard drive in the past, and they work on my actual CD player, so I have no idea what's going on with this.

Anyone have a clue what's up?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Ok, after some experimentation, I've discovered that burned CD's work (whether self-made compilations or copies of actual CD's), but no actual CD's that I've bought from a store (whether I've copied them already or not) work.

Goddamned Dells...

The system Registry fiel could have gotten corrupted. I had that experience with a Compaq running Win95.

You could try going through device manager and fix it that way, perhaps reinstalling the driver. The most extreme case, delete it in Device Manager, and shutdown the PC. Disconnect the CD, and restart. Then shutdown again, reconnect the CD and startup again, and let Windows do plug and play, unless you have the CD-manufacturer's install disc, then use that instead.

It's not a problem with Dell - it's a Microsoft problem. Occasionally the Windows OS gets corrupted.

Ah, the joys of not using crappy pre-packaged hardware, or crappy operating systems.

Actually, I've never seen this at all. My guess would be as astronuc said, something got corrupted.

Just try a simple restart first. If that doesn't work, follow Astronuc's suggestion.

Before you start messing with the computer's registry and so on, try cleaning the lens with a can of compressed air.

Playstations are notorious for that. It the lens gets dusty, they start acting up on DVD's first, then eventually start having problems reading games, as well.

Good point BobG! It may be no coincidence either that this is happening as the weather is changing wildly. A bit of condensation on the lens from temperature/humidity changes can cause sporadic problems reading CDs too.

I had assumed Waste knows enough to simply try restarting the computer before doing anything else more drastic (or even deciding it's really a problem).

1. Why is my computer not recognizing CDs in the disc drive?

There could be multiple reasons for this issue. It could be due to a faulty disc drive, outdated drivers, or even a software problem. It is important to troubleshoot and identify the root cause of the problem to find a solution.

2. What can I do if my computer is not acknowledging CDs?

If your computer is not recognizing CDs, you can try some basic troubleshooting steps such as checking for any physical damage to the disc or disc drive, cleaning the disc and drive, updating drivers, and running a virus scan.

3. Can a virus cause my computer to stop acknowledging CDs?

Yes, a virus or malware infection can corrupt drivers or system files, causing your computer to stop recognizing CDs. It is important to regularly run virus scans and keep your computer protected with an updated antivirus software.

4. How do I update my disc drive drivers?

You can update your disc drive drivers by going to the Device Manager in your computer's Control Panel. Find the disc drive, right-click on it, and select "Update Driver". You can also download the latest drivers from the manufacturer's website.

5. Is there a way to fix my disc drive without replacing it?

Depending on the cause of the problem, there may be a way to fix your disc drive without replacing it. You can try troubleshooting steps such as cleaning the drive, updating drivers, or running a virus scan. If these do not work, it may be necessary to replace the disc drive.