Are You a True Elite Geek? Join the Ranks Now!

• Thread starter The_Professional
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of different web browsers, specifically Internet Explorer and Firefox. The original poster expresses their frustration with using IE and suggests that using Firefox is a more logical choice. Other users chime in, agreeing that Firefox is a superior browser due to its lack of pop-ups, spyware, and viruses. There is also a discussion about the potential threat of viruses targeting Firefox in the future. The conversation ends with a playful exchange about true geeks using IE and the benefits of using Firefox.
The_Professional
Dear Fellow PF'er,

...I'm still using IExplorer. I have no firewall, blah, blah, blah..I don't deserve the title Geek.

Any true geeks out there, I'll be more than happy to anoint you: The Truly, Truest Elite Geek Ever.

Love,
The_Professional

Physics news on Phys.org
how bout getting firefox?

Using firefox is not even a geek thing anymore, firefox is now more of a common sense thing.

Hmmm...maybe true geeks do use IE. Afterall, they might enjoy the challenge of fending off violent virus attacks and battling spyware. Who else but a true geek would enjoy needing to reformat their hard drive and reinstall all their software a few times a year because it has become too corrupted by all the nasty beasties? :biggrin:

Right now we are in a golden age of browsers.

It is only a matter of time before spyware/viruses etc are engineered primarily for Firefox.

But for now we can enjoy our wonderful browser free of popups, spyware and viruses and laugh at people still using IE.

Firefox is so valuable to me I would pay a monthly fee just to keep it if I had to.

ek said:
Firefox is so valuable to me I would pay a monthly fee just to keep it if I had to.
And I'd be willing to bet that's their long-term business strategy. Get a sufficient customer base hooked on it, and then start charging for upgrades when you're no longer willing to give it up.

I believe you're also right that once they hit a critical mass of users, virus writers will start targetting those applications as well. Though, these other companies seem to be far more responsive than microsoft in providing patches to fix vulnerabilities when they find them.

When I read the title of the thread I thought that you had commited some heinous crime and were confessing. :grumpy:

I see that I was right. :tongue2:

P.S.
Seriously though, Firefox is the greatest thing since cute teddy bears.

Moonbear said:
Hmmm...maybe true geeks do use IE. Afterall, they might enjoy the challenge of fending off violent virus attacks and battling spyware. Who else but a true geek would enjoy needing to reformat their hard drive and reinstall all their software a few times a year because it has become too corrupted by all the nasty beasties? :biggrin:

You read me. It takes one to know one :wink:

Moonbear said:

I use IE, and I reformat about once every 3 months.

0|-| & I 7|-|0ug|-|7 f012/\/\477i/\/g \/\/45/\/'7 g33|<y 4/\/y/\/\0123!

-- 4I

1. What is a confession?

A confession is a statement or admission of guilt or wrongdoing, typically made to someone in a position of authority or trust.

2. Why do people make confessions?

People may make confessions for a variety of reasons, including wanting to clear their conscience, seeking forgiveness, or facing consequences for their actions.

3. How do confessions impact legal proceedings?

Confessions can be used as evidence in legal proceedings, but they must be voluntary and made with an understanding of their consequences. If a confession is obtained through coercion or deception, it may not be admissible in court.

4. Can false confessions occur?

Yes, false confessions can occur for various reasons, such as coercion, mental illness, or a desire to protect someone else. It is important for law enforcement to carefully evaluate the validity of a confession before using it as evidence.

5. Are confessions always reliable?

No, confessions are not always reliable. They can be influenced by factors such as memory distortion, suggestibility, and the desire to please authority figures. It is important for investigators to corroborate a confession with other evidence to ensure its accuracy.