Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

My Dad with FDR

1. May 28, 2013 #1

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In honor of my father's military service in the US Marines, who passed in April 2011, here's a picture I snapped of his signed photograph of himself with President Franklin D. Roosevelt and the associated letter from The White House .

[Broken]

Here's dad with the photograph as it appeared in a newspaper article which tells the story behind having the honor of setting to the right of FDR and having lunch.

Eudoran_William_Goff__t440.jpg

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2006/dec/18/lunch_fdr_satisfying_memory/

His Proud Son

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2013 #2

turbo

Gold Member

Wonderful! What a nice story and image.

4. May 28, 2013 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

So wonderful dl!

5. May 28, 2013 #4

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks guys. A few months before his sudden death, he gave me his account of all the photographs he had while stationed in the Aleutian islands.

6. May 29, 2013 #5

Borek

Staff: Mentor

It was for sure a great memory for him, and it definitely is a great memory for you :smile:

7. May 29, 2013 #6
    Very cool!

8. May 29, 2013 #7

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Thanks

Thanks.
    If that stationing in the Aleutians was during the battle it was hard fighting and very harsh conditions, an episode not many people, outside American at least, know about.

9. May 29, 2013 #8

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It was just after the battle but there was still plenty going on. He told me about the time a sub got through the nets and into the harbor. They waited until it had finished is business and moved out of the harbor where it was promptly eliminated. Dad was the Admiral's orderly/bodyguard who helped him get the this photo and another (not signed) through proper channels to the White House.

Oh. And there were daily earthquakes and trimmers. Maybe I'll snap a pic of his volcano photograph. I thinks it's the volcano that's been more active lately.

10. May 31, 2013 #9

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Here's the Mt. Shishaldin photograph and another of Dad with FDR.

[Broken]

[Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  11. May 31, 2013 #10

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's so cool, Don! Alaska wasn't even a state then, btw.

12. May 31, 2013 #11

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I didn't know about it until I spent a summer long-line fishing black cod in the Aleutians. There were so many sunken Navy ships, some still poking above water!

Ah, the earthquakes. A sharp one hit under our ship. The whole ship rose and fell about an inch in a split second. Scared the bejeezus out of me (I think I actually said, should we check the rivets for leaking? :redface:), but the old salts just shrugged it off.

13. May 31, 2013 #12

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Dad said that he had been shaken out of his bunk many times but got use to it. :bugeye:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook