DIY automated security system Project

In summary, the conversation revolved around the development of an automated security system, specifically a mounted machine gun, for home use. The creator has hired a graphic artist to create representations of the product and is seeking feedback on how to improve the design and address potential legal issues. However, others have expressed doubts about the legality and practicality of the product, citing existing alternatives and limitations on civilian ownership of weapons. The conversation ends with doubts about the seriousness of the project and the possibility of restarting the discussion with a more serious tone.
Cactus Jack
Howdy everyone, I have begun work on an automated security system. Essentially it is a mounted machine gun made to keep your children safe. I have begun work on models and finished the automated firing mechanism, but am still in the early stages of development. On the image below, you will see a graphical representation of the final product.

sent.jpg

There are three separate models at varying prices to enable home security for people of all economic classes. This image is obviously lacking mechanical detail as it must still be tested for flaws created by these first designs. Any opinions on how I could improve on my design or fix possible flaws that could hurt the efficiency of the Automated Security System will be very helpful, thank you for taking your time to assist me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you steal these drawings from a GI-JOE magazine?

No, as I said these were drawn up by a graphical artist I hired to make a cleaner and more dynamic representation of my idea than my original sketches had them looking. I am no artist and my original drawings were quite terrible.

Is this even legal? (The automation of a weapon).

i_dont_think_so_tim.jpg

Well I have started to research into the applicable legal problems that could come into play and I believe as long as it stayed in the house and required a license to possesses it would fall under the right to bear arms. While it would obviously have to pass safety checks and various tests to meet government regulation, I believe with proper design and a firm platform supporting it I could have one in every home in the next decade.

P.S Do you have any suggestions or comments, it would really be helpful.

I'm all for guns, but let's be real. There isn't a snowballs chance in hell any state is going to legalize an automated mini-gun.

But you could try selling it to the military.

I'm curious as to how you are marketing this thing though: "To keep my children safe." Do my kids live in Afghanistan or Iraq!?

Cactus Jack said:
Well I have started to research into the applicable legal problems that could come into play and I believe as long as it stayed in the house and required a license to possesses it would fall under the right to bear arms. While it would obviously have to pass safety checks and various tests to meet government regulation, I believe with proper design and a firm platform supporting it I could have one in every home in the next decade.

No. No. No. What makes you think that in a country where it's fairly hard to get an assault rifle, you'll be able to get onto the market an automated gatling gun with... what the hell is that, a mounted missile launcher?

Cactus Jack said:
No, as I said these were drawn up by a graphical artist I hired to make a cleaner and more dynamic representation of my idea than my original sketches had them looking. I am no artist and my original drawings were quite terrible.
Nevertheless, these are basically just comic book representations (my guess is it was copied from the manual for a video game). They have no engineering value whatsoever.

I'm not sure if this is a joke or not - I'd like to think any junior high kid understands that civilians in the US don't own gatling guns and rocket launchers, and would also know that a comic book drawing isn't an engineering drawing. But a kid in junior high probably wouldn't be hiring a graphic artist either, so I'm not quite sure what is going on here.

I'm locking the thread. Please feel free to restart it with serious discussion. If you don't know what serious discussion looks like, we'll we'll figure it out pretty quick.

This may be moot anyway, though, since variations on what you describe already exist (notice how it looks nothing like what you have sketched...): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phalanx_CIWS

1. What is a DIY automated security system project?

A DIY automated security system project is a project where individuals can create and install their own security system using various components and technology. It allows for a more customizable and cost-effective approach to home security.

2. What are the benefits of a DIY automated security system project?

Some benefits of a DIY automated security system project include cost-effectiveness, customization, and the ability to monitor and control the system from anywhere using a smartphone or computer. It also allows for easy integration with other smart home devices.

3. What components are needed for a DIY automated security system project?

The components needed for a DIY automated security system project may vary, but typically include sensors, cameras, a control panel, and a wireless connection. Other optional components may include smart locks, motion detectors, and alarms.

4. Is it difficult to set up a DIY automated security system project?

The level of difficulty in setting up a DIY automated security system project may vary depending on the individual's technical skills and the complexity of the system. However, many DIY security systems come with step-by-step instructions and online resources to help make the installation process easier.

5. How reliable is a DIY automated security system project compared to professional systems?

The reliability of a DIY automated security system project depends on the quality of the components used and how well it is installed. While professional systems may offer more advanced features and monitoring services, a well-designed and properly installed DIY system can be just as reliable.