1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

My dream path

1. Sep 16, 2008 #1
    Hello. Let me start by asking your forgiveness for my lack of grammatical skill. I know I need work in this subject. None-the-less, I'd like to ask a couple question concerning my dream. Please keep in mind that college is quite a ways off. I'd like to be prepared now though.

Along with my interests in science, I have a severe interest in politics, and philosophy. There seems to be a horribly thin line between these subjects, and an broad expertise of all seem to be extremely advantageous in any major scientific career. Knowing this; one might think that a curriculum including all might give an extreme edge as a leader in scientific research. It goes without saying that not only does research involve intellect, but political, and social understanding for financial support.

My dream is to change the world for the better. To increase the odds of survival of the human race, and overall happiness in my philosophical interpretation of the word.

There are many ways to improve society, but I feel that the most advantageous improvement would be to expand the human race through-out the universe. This, ovcoarse requires many major scientific breakthroughs. These breakthroughs, I feel are on the verge of discovery, and the idea of my dream seems just out of view.

It seems that a degree in engineering would be essential toward designing, and building the structures, and mechanisms involved in creating what is essential toward my dream. This could be solar power, propulsion, an independent biosphere, along with countless more.

A degree in biology seems essential also. The understanding of ourselves is an obvious necessity when it comes to increasing the survival.

Physics, political science, sociology, along with others also seem extremely advantageous toward reaching my dream. It almost seems that one would need a complete understanding along with the greatest mind of all time.

I believe the advantage I have over my peers is that I have an interest in the listed subjects. It seems to me that you needn't be smart to understand, but have the interest in which to motivate to learn.

None-the-less, I do not see it possible with my parents income to finance such a severe curriculum Not only does currency worry me, but time as well. It seems one would take a horribly long time to have a degree in these subjects. Would I have enough time to follow up after such studies?

I understand that I am not taking into consideration the assistance of others to work toward my goal. The reason being; I can never fully understand the thought-process, and intentions of my peers. It seems from my experience, that the majority are optimists whom take advantage of others, and victims who are too trusting, and polite to see it coming. It seems that only I can trust myself to know that intentions are pure, and gratification is taken only in seeing society improve. This is why I fear dependency in a dream as radical as my own.

Taking all this into serious consideration, I'd like some advice and criticism. I mainly would like to use your responses to brainstorm my options, and reevaluate my thought process.

Thank you for reading, and I look foward to your response.

Love,

Eraniamayomii

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2008 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your "goal" is too large and nebulous to be attainable. Try to break your goal down into smaller, more manageable goals, and attack them one by one.

Also, recognize that as you begin your university education, you will eventually find yourself pulled in one direction or another. With some classes and some experience, you'll quickly figure out the right path for you. My advice, then, is simply to relax, and begin by taking classes that interest you at the moment.

- Warren

4. Sep 16, 2008 #3
    Dear Warren

Can we not agree that when stated; Alexander The Great's goal was far beyond reasonable conceivability? Napoleon? Hitler? Queen Elizabeth the 1st? Plato? Einstein?

I'd say my "dream" is beyond conceivability, but not inconceivable.

You are correct when you say take it step by step, but surely not aimlessly. .

Love,

Eraniamayomii

5. Sep 16, 2008 #4

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Eraniamayomii,

Let's look at it in the most practical way: to accomplish your dream, you must start with a single step, taking a first class in math or science, for example. You'll gain more from the class than just knowledge of the subject matter. You'll also gain knowledge about yourself, what you enjoy, what fascinates or bores you. You'll use that knowledge to pick the next class, and the next. You may find yourself interested in very different things by the end of your university years, and you may find your dream changing in entirely unexpected ways. You'll be happiest if you sit back and just let those changes happen naturally -- they're part of growing up.

- Warren

6. Sep 16, 2008 #5
    Dear Warren.

It would be great fun to become a fashion designer, model, or even house wife.

I realize that, as introverted as I am; I find great joy in kissing boys, slumber parties, and video games. I also realize that when neglected, my interest in science evaporates. I keep myself interested only by surrounding my life with, and continuously studying.

Knowing this, I truly believe that personal happiness would come to a much further extent with a simple life rather then the complexity of my dreams.

Is it fair to turn ones back on the improvement of society only to indulge in selfish desires?

One night about 4 months ago, I was having a philosophical conversation with my father. As I walked around the dining room table in circles contemplating happiness as my father challenged me, I came to the conclusion that happiness is the result of fulfilling needs. Then desires.

Desires seemed to be based on improvement whether it be way of life, knowledge, or the improvement of society. Surely Einstein would not have made such fascinating leaps in science hadn't he the desire for knowledge.

This leads me to think that our wants, our desires, our instinct is to improve society for the good of our species throughout our lifetime.

Naturally my father brought up the religion of Buddhism. My response being that they are a selfish religion when it comes to doing there part to improve society. They are a drain on the species.

Taking all this into consideration, what right have I to indulge in selfish desires when, I can attempt to make great leaps just as the greats before for the improvement of the species.

My dream is to improve society for the good of human-kind. Not my happiness. I pray to whatever force exists that I do not fall to desire, and neglect my dream.

Love,

Eraniamayomii

7. Sep 16, 2008 #6

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, if your goals are purely altruistic, there are many better, more direct ways to help others than trying to invent space travel. Helping people eat, clothe themselves, and obtain education are far more humanitarian -- and immediate -- goals.

I also must say that your plan of ignoring your own personal needs in order to create space travel sounds like the plan of an idealistic child. I would not wish such a life on anyone, and I hope that as you mature you will discover a healthier balance, in which you can be fulfilled, yet continue to make an impact on the world.

Either way, you seem to no longer be asking questions about what you should do, and instead have descended into idealized dream-like statements. I wish you luck, but there's nothing else I can tell you.

- Warren

8. Sep 16, 2008 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think you're trying to attain a few too many degrees there. Focus on one, whichever seems like your favorite of them all, and do it well. With an interest in both science and politics, one thing you might want to consider down the road is pursuing a career as a science policy advisor. You can do this from any field of the sciences, and once you have a Ph.D., can apply for a fellowship to work with members of Congress to learn to advise them about formulating scientific public policy.

My suggestion for your immediate future is to pursue your further education at a liberal arts institution where you can sample a variety of courses in the different sciences, politics, etc., and reserve making a decision about which you'll get a degree in until after you've sampled enough to make a more educated choice based on your own likes and dislikes.

9. Sep 16, 2008 #8

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Eraniamayomii,

You may want to look up the work of Abraham Maslow and the concept of self-actualization.

10. Sep 16, 2008 #9
    My plan as of the moment leans toward getting a job when my father allows. This will help me pay for 2 years of community college. Post, I plan to attempt at a scholarship in ballet. If not, a grant. My major would have been biology.

After I get my bachelors, I plan to apply to Ames University to become an astro-biologist. While attending these classes, I could minor in political science.

It seems that I would need to get a masters in engineering also. When I will get this, I haven't any idea.

I suppose I can study on my own these other areas on my off time. You needn't the qualifications. Only the understanding.

Love,

Eraniamayomii

11. Sep 17, 2008 #10
    No, if you are going to make any kind of serious effort to help get the human race into space, you are going to need the qualifications.

If you just want to daydream in your parent's basement, then yeah, the understanding is enough.

12. Sep 17, 2008 #11
    Dear TMFKAN64

To be terribly honest, I'm slightly hurt by your comments.

Please make an attempt to understand before posting your opinions.

I ask that you read over what it is I said, and attempt to find your error. If you still cannot, I will then explain it to you. I trust you have far more intellect than I, and an explanation will not be necessary.

Thank you,

Eraniamayomii

13. Sep 17, 2008 #12
    You should concentrate on what you enjoy. Read up allot and find what you are passionate about. You may not be able to change the world on your own but you would be more likely to make advances in your field if you enjoy what you are doing.

14. Sep 17, 2008 #13

Defennder

Homework Helper

Dear Eraniamayomii,

I do not know how old you are but I would hazard a guess that you are at most a senior at high school who have yet to enrol in college. Possibly even younger. You may think the replies of others here are unnecessarily harsh and in your opinion, pessimistic. Bear in mind that, like you most of us grew up with dreams such as that of yours but found it impossible to attain after we realised how time-consuming and intensive it is to even finish a single degree. Yet here you are talking about self-studying for multiple degrees and post graduate education even before you have entered college. I will confess that when I was younger I had impossible dreams which I am too embarassed to reveal here. At the end of the day, you must realise that your dreams of expanding the human race outside of just Earth itself would require more than just a determined individual but also the cooperation of an entire nation at least. Suffice to say, who would they be to listen to someone who has not even entered college?

It is good that you feel an obligation to give back to society. There are many ways you could do so in terms of voluntary welfare work and donations. These actions are more immediate and concrete than the hazy ideals of human paradise you have promised them. When you commence your working life, you will have to pay bills and taxes and whatnot. Thinking of what kind of space colony humans may be able to live in the near future would be the least immediate of all your concerns, to say the least. I trust I don't have to elaborate. Others will do so if prompted.

I can guarantee that once you step into college and begin your studies you'll look back at all of this as a childish dream. I'm not being condescending here. Just being truthful. Because it happened to me personally.

P.S. This website does address some aspects of your dream, though not from a personal viewpoint.
    http://www.hedweb.com/welcome.htm

15. Sep 17, 2008 #14
    Yes, yes, I know... "parents' basement", not "parent's basement". My apologies.

Seriously, re-read what the other posters have said and take it to heart. Space travel is a huge endeavor that requires the resources of a nation, not the efforts of one person. If you are interested in trying to make it a reality you can... just choose *one* aspect of the problem, and focus your energies on it.

Very few people excel in even one area to the point that they can make a difference in it.

16. Sep 17, 2008 #15
    I didn't mean your punctual errors. That would be hypocritical of me to point out due to the fact that I haven't the best english skills.

Your error is that I stated I would get my bachelors in Biology, Masters in Astro-biology, Minor in political science, and doctorates in Engineering. The rest like sociology, philosophy, and other minor subject stated above need only understanding in order to know how to manipulate society as one to support. Nowhere did I say that I plan to not get any degree.

Also, I'm 14. I do live with my parents, not in there basement, rather my point being that it isn't polite to use that phrase in such a offending way when in respect, you haven't a clue about whom you are generalizing.

I suppose I have taken into account everything stated despite its harsh pessimistic deductions. I must admit that I feel a little overwhelmed, and fruitless by this thread overall. I don't think I'v ever received such an amount of discouragement even by my father who is a harsh realist.

I guess I have to take into account all variables for lack of a better word. If I were older, and more educated; would the response be different? If I already had a degree out of the way? Could I be talking to an illogical group?

None-the-less, I won't give up. Even if it is only a naive child-like dream. It is, as of now; possible. I believe if I try my hardest, I can do whatever I like, and be whomever I want.

Admins, I wouldn't see fault if you locked this thread. I believe it's a bit more harshly opinionated then my taste prefers.

Love,

Eraniamayomii

17. Sep 17, 2008 #16
    Not to be mean to the threadstarter, but this really made my day. :rofl:

18. Sep 17, 2008 #17

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is already quite a stretch. But, given your age, it now makes more sense. When I was young, I still wanted to be a heart surgeon who cured cancer and became the first female president of the US (Drat! People are already trying to beat me at that!), while becoming a famous playwrite. Just work on doing well in school for now and more focus will come naturally as you get older. You have plenty of time before you decide which of your interests will be your true passion for studies and a career path when you're older. The rest can always be hobbies you pursue.

19. Sep 18, 2008 #18
    OK, stop there. No.

I'll assume that the 's' at the end of doctorates is a typo. Minors are no problem... you can easily get a bachelors' degree in biology while minoring in political science. I don't even think it's unreasonable to get a masters' degree in astrobiology... it might be difficult to squeeze in the necessary prerequisites while you are trying to take all of those additional political science courses... but yes, the fields are still related, so it's not beyond the realm of possibility.

You cannot get a doctorate in engineering without a substantial undergraduate background in the subject. Period.

Career changes happen. People get degrees in one subject, and later decide they are interested in something else. However, to *plan* on getting a set of unrelated degrees is madness.

If I'm being cruel, it's being cruel to be kind. You have to choose. You can change your mind later, if you need to... but you have to choose.

20. Sep 18, 2008 #19

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

To the OP: I think you should re-read the title you chose yourself for this thread. It says it all.

I guess many of us, at your age, had such dreams. Why do you think movies and books about superheros have such a success for adolescents ? I'd say: enjoy the dream! But don't let it ruin your life.

Now, if you think that you're going to be a legend (hell, why not ?), then legends don't take advice, they just do their thing and know where they go (there where no-one has gone before...). But we've no statistics about failed legends...

21. Sep 18, 2008 #20

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Dammit ! I just wanted to be the richest and most admired scientist in the world and invent a bomb that could blow up planets... (uh ? I didn't have my priorities right, I know...) :rolleyes:
    :rofl:

Now that I think of it, I was much younger then (I know because I remember the house where I had such fantasies and it was when I was about 10-11 years old...)

edit: unfortunately, I *really* wanted to invent a bomb that could blow up a planet... I still have this clearly in my mind... everybody his/her pet idea, I guess.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?