My dream

  • Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • #1
wolram
Gold Member
4,330
559
To visit America and tour on my bike, if i had three weeks how many of
you could i visit, (if you would even entertain the idea) would any of you offer me a place to doss down, a barn or out house would do, could i even get through customs? if i kept my big mouth shut and did not insult a uniformed officer, i am saving my pennies, in the hope that my dream will come true.
 

Answers and Replies

  • #2
9
0
well, if you come through tennessee you might actually see an out house..and if you're lucky you might not get shot by people thinking you were trespassing...sorry :tongue2:
 
  • #3
JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
2,323
3
Are you sure it's worth it?

Riding around the US would probably suck. It's probably best to drive a car and drop off your bike at the good parts. The good parts are so far apart it's not worth the boring riding pain to get to another part.

In 3 weeks, I would say you can cover one coast maybe not even. Assuming you plan on stopping and enjoying yourself once and awhile. Also, assuming you aren't just going to drive on the boring highway.

But then you have the Central US and the opposite coast to do!
 
  • #4
turbo
Gold Member
3,147
52
I you want to make a swing through Maine, I can lead you on some really fine bike rides. The coast is pretty, but my favorite rides (with a LOT less traffic) involve twisty, hilly roads in the western mountains. We've only got one bedroom, and no couch, but if you've got a bedroll and don't mind the floor, we can put you up for a bit. From here, a 6-hour ride through the beauty of northern New Hampshire and Vermont puts you in upstate New York, then you could explore Pennsylvania, drop down through the Pittsburg area and south to western Maryland and West Virgina. Many, many twisty hilly roads through that region. You can get anywhere you want on some scenic roads, without having to resort to the Interstate highway system. You could see quite a bit of the Eastern US in three weeks. I will warn you that if you want to travel west of the Mississippi River, you are in for some long hours of boring driving to get across the plains states. Of course, if you're in Maine, one fun trip is to board the ferry at Bar Harbor and make a one-way run to Nova Scotia. I prefer the coastal run north along the Bay of Fundy, then cross through New Brunswick back to Maine. There are lots of parks and historical sites on that run.
 
  • #5
wolram
Gold Member
4,330
559
JasonRox said:
Are you sure it's worth it?

Riding around the US would probably suck. It's probably best to drive a car and drop off your bike at the good parts. The good parts are so far apart it's not worth the boring riding pain to get to another part.

In 3 weeks, I would say you can cover one coast maybe not even. Assuming you plan on stopping and enjoying yourself once and awhile. Also, assuming you aren't just going to drive on the boring highway.

But then you have the Central US and the opposite coast to do!

Jason the first obstacle is customs, how difficult is it? and surly there is a
place i could start from and see some of Americas wonderful sights in three or if i push it four weeks.
 
  • #6
wolram
Gold Member
4,330
559
turbo-1 said:
I you want to make a swing through Maine, I can lead you on some really fine bike rides. The coast is pretty, but my favorite rides (with a LOT less traffic) involve twisty, hilly roads in the western mountains. We've only got one bedroom, and no couch, but if you've got a bedroll and don't mind the floor, we can put you up for a bit. From here, a 6-hour ride through the beauty of northern New Hampshire and Vermont puts you in upstate New York, then you could explore Pennsylvania, drop down through the Pittsburg area and south to western Maryland and West Virgina. Many, many twisty hilly roads through that region. You can get anywhere you want on some scenic roads, without having to resort to the Interstate highway system. You could see quite a bit of the Eastern US in three weeks. I will warn you that if you want to travel west of the Mississippi River, you are in for some long hours of boring driving to get across the plains states. Of course, if you're in Maine, one fun trip is to board the ferry at Bar Harbor and make a one-way run to Nova Scotia. I prefer the coastal run north along the Bay of Fundy, then cross through New Brunswick back to Maine. There are lots of parks and historical sites on that run.

Turbo, even a boring ride is cool with good people, i have all ways found that people make the experiance better.
 
  • #7
berkeman
Mentor
60,847
11,235
wolram said:
Jason the first obstacle is customs, how difficult is it? and surly there is a
place i could start from and see some of Americas wonderful sights in three or if i push it four weeks.
First of all, you need to stop calling Jason Shirley :rolleyes:

Second, spend some time checking out the roads in California:

http://www.pashnit.com/motoroads.htm [Broken]

My favorite is Mines Road from Livermore up the backside of Mt. Hamilton. Very few cars, no police, and lots of 3-dimensional twisties. There can be patches of gravel, though, so you have to know how to look for those. I don't ride the twisties much anymore, though -- just too dangerous. I take my sportbike to the racetrack to get my speed fix instead. If you end up here in NorCal on your bike tour, I'll take you up Mines Road though. And you can spend a night at our house as well. Just don't call me Shirley. :biggrin:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • #8
355
1
If you have time riding through the mountains of British Columbia is a beautiful ride that should not be missed, the scenery is just awesome.
 
  • #9
wolram
Gold Member
4,330
559
scorpa said:
If you have time riding through the mountains of British Columbia is a beautiful ride that should not be missed, the scenery is just awesome.

This is what i am looking for, it is just the legalities of geting into America i
worry about, after that it would be a reliance on charitable people to give me a place to lay my head.
 
  • #10
wolram
Gold Member
4,330
559
Well replies are thin, but if any of you want to visit the UK, you would have a warm welcome and free run of my cott, and i would go out of my way to make sure your visit was enjoyable.
 
  • #11
Evo
Mentor
23,538
3,173
You are welcome here in the pit of doom Wolram. :smile: I can put you up in the Chinchilla Palace aka JAWS OF DEATH, it even has a skylight. Damn dog doesn't use it. "I'd" live in it, it's damn nice. :grumpy: 12' by 8', cross ventilated windows, I installed insulation in the walls. :grumpy:
 
  • #12
355
1
wolram said:
This is what i am looking for, it is just the legalities of geting into America i
worry about, after that it would be a reliance on charitable people to give me a place to lay my head.


Well if you would be willing there are a lot of campgrounds in that area if you wouldnt mind going that route. Definitely try to go through B.C it is a beautful place. We were in Revelstoke last year for a holiday and happened to meet a couple from Australia who said that nothing in Australia could ever compare to the beauty of the mountains in Canada. Riding in Vancouver Island would be nice as well, the roads are very twisty .....however it takes forever to get anywhere as the speed limits are so low due to the twisty roads.
 
  • #13
508
4
scorpa said:
If you have time riding through the mountains of British Columbia is a beautiful ride that should not be missed, the scenery is just awesome.
BC is a gorgeous place! Isn't there a train ride to Banff that is supposed to be spectacular?
 
  • #14
9
0
I think going through the mountainous(more like hilly) lands of Chattanooga(sp?), TN...there's actually a Chattanooga Choo Choo that takes you through some of the landscapes...other than that I suggest going to the beach :cool:
 
  • #15
wolram
Gold Member
4,330
559
Evo said:
You are welcome here in the pit of doom Wolram. :smile: I can put you up in the Chinchilla Palace aka JAWS OF DEATH, it even has a skylight. Damn dog doesn't use it. "I'd" live in it, it's damn nice. :grumpy: 12' by 8', cross ventilated windows, I installed insulation in the walls. :grumpy:

Sounds like my kind of place :smile:
 
  • #16
J77
1,083
1
wolram said:
This is what i am looking for, it is just the legalities of geting into America i
worry about
Why would you worry?

As long as you don't smile at customs you should be fine :biggrin:
 
  • #17
wolram
Gold Member
4,330
559
J77 said:
Why would you worry?

As long as you don't smile at customs you should be fine :biggrin:

Last time i visited the US i crossed a line at customs and got into trouble .
i was tired and did not mean to call the big police lady a battle axe.
 
  • #18
J77
1,083
1
wolram said:
Last time i visited the US i crossed a line at customs and got into trouble .
i was tired and did not mean to call the big police lady a battle axe.
You talked to a US customs person!?!?!!! :surprised

Big mistake.

Simple rules: look directly ahead, hand passport over when asked, give exact address of where you'll be staying, walk on (not too fast).

:biggrin:
 

Related Threads on My dream

  • Last Post
3
Replies
71
Views
6K
  • Last Post
Replies
9
Views
1K
  • Last Post
Replies
21
Views
3K
  • Last Post
Replies
9
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
1
Views
6K
Replies
5
Views
3K
  • Last Post
Replies
4
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
1
Views
1K
  • Last Post
Replies
17
Views
3K
K
  • Last Post
Replies
20
Views
3K
Top