My Dream

• Thread starter Clausius2
  • Start date

wolram

Gold Member
arildno said:
Yeah, I pity myself occasionally (not on the age matter, though, the guy is older than me).
Well i am sure there are better fish in the sea, go dangle your line, you may
end up with a young cod instead of an old trout :biggrin:

arildno

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
wolram said:
Well i am sure there are better fish in the sea, go dangle your line, you may
end up with a young cod instead of an old trout :biggrin:
:rofl:
Now, "cod", that's medieval for .., isn't it?
As it happens, I do dangle my line now and then as you so delicately put it , but I still would most like a well-grown trout ! :cry:

(BTW, there isn't anyone better; my friend is the most handsome, warm and generous person I've ever met)

QE

Dream dream: discover something extraordinary (observe a graviton, find hidden dimensions of space or time...), be a Nobel prize in physics laureate and have something important named after me (equation, theorem, particle, element, institute, laboratory, cyclotron...). :approve:

Plan dream: get a PhD in physics and possibly get a job at one of the more famous laboratories (CERN, Fermilab or something), universities or institutes. o:)

My dream only consists of two things:

Finding a girl who loves me very much who I can spend countless happy moments with, and:

Becoming a physicist, not even an extraordinary one, just enough so that I will be content. Although trying to accomplish this seems difficult, and I often doubt my own capabilities. Its slanted in my mind to where only the real geniuses and the fastest thinkers can ever become one :frown:. Nevertheless, I'm persistent, hard-working and downright stubborn about these things. Perhaps it'll come my way. Perhaps not.

GCT

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
The rest of dreams of yours are linked to salary and material possiesions.
if you don't mind living in a shack, sure.

I guess, the priority is to be content and excited about the work, such a thing that will constantly preoccupy your mind and stimulate you.

I wouldn't mind though, coming home to a well lighted, clean, spacious house with adequate air conditioning, plenty of leisure appliances...but most of all, for supporting my family the "material" aspect is important.

I don't consider myself incredibly gifted such that the pure aspect of the gift is all I care about (one might bring up the example of Tesla, who did not seem to care so much about cashing in and persisting on lucrative potentials, rather kept skipping idea after idea). Sooner or later, I imagine that I would be "basely" content with some aspects of material possessions.

dduardo

Staff Emeritus
*Raises right pinky to corner of mouth*

One Hundred Billion Dollars

arildno

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
dduardo said:
*Raises right pinky to corner of mouth*

One Hundred Billion Dollars
plus one hundred more.

klusener said:
I wouldn't be surprised if a Moonbear-bot will come out in a few decades from wherever Heman works.
well you see that will not be all!!!....what i mean is that i will try and develop(although its real tough to emulate prodigies!)a klusener-bot too.....which will try to make fun of every human being it sets its sights on!!!!.....just kidding :rofl: ...well you see dreams aren't a thing to be made fun of....and well i think u could've done a bit more by telling us all about your dreams(i am waiting to hear from you!) :smile:

honestrosewater

Gold Member
arildno, you break my heart. I know how you feel. :frown:

arildno

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
honestrosewater said:
Thank you for your empathy&sympathy, honestrosewater.
At times, life just don't turn out the way we'd like it to.

ok, not a very deep or controversial statement, that; it's true nonetheless.

wolram

Gold Member
honestrosewater said:
You do not need money if you live in a cottage with a pixie at the bottom of
the garden, so any that want to be self sufficient, chuck all your goods and
chattels and come live in the cottage.

Evo

Mentor
wolram said:
I dream of having a big old cottage in the country miles from any where, and
be self sufficient, have a huge work shop with all manner of machines and tools
to keep me occupied, and a twin engined aeroplane so i can go any where i want, and female company, The cottage would be sited in a rolling green and
partly wooded land scape.
Can I move into your dream?

Clausius2

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Evo said:
I think he dreams of you every night....but in another way. :!!) :rofl:

arildno

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Clausius2 said:
I think he dreams of you every night....but in another way. :!!) :rofl:
Evo's reply doesn't seem to rule out the existence of convergent dreaming across the big pond..

honestrosewater said:
Would you even accept a one-way ticket?
Hopefully I won't need to :tongue2:

Clausius2 said:
Yes, but don't forget I am going to be the spacecraft commander. I will give you the pleasure of stepping on Mars while I see you from the spacecraft in orbit, because some unaware man has to take the risk of landing there. I could throw you a water bottle from up there if you see the mars ambient too dry :rofl: .
Forgive my unawareness but why couldn't someone land there? (why do you have to be in orbit while I land?) I'm not being bitter about ur post I'm just curious.

Lisa! said:
Your dream reminds me of a blonde joke. :uhh:
What's the joke?

honestrosewater said:
Okay, this may sound far-fetched:

My dream is hard to relate, because I only have an inkling as to how it would work. I want to create, let's say, a 'mechanical procedure' (or set of separate procedures) for 'creative writing'. And not just any writing, but the next Shakespeare. Well, the system will be adaptable, but my version will be the next Shakespeare. Eh, yeah, that's it.

Hopefully, everyone will think I'm crazy and not try to beat me to it. :biggrin:
I believe we currently call it EBONIX

honestrosewater

Gold Member
outsider said:
I believe we currently call it EBONIX
:groan: :biggrin:
I really do need to learn about the current state of computational linguistics ASAP - they may already be very close.

wolram

Gold Member
Evo said:
How many ways can one say yes? :!!) :!!)

My dream used to be quite simple (and after reading this thread not uncommon!) die a wealthy man, but then i gained wealth and became very unhappy now it`s to die knowing I made a contribution to man kind (even a small one, size really doesn`t matter :wink: ) i have no aspirations to ... find a gravitino or the Higgs Boson but only to know that the work i under take furthers our knowledge of how and why things are the way they are, and knowing that i have done something worth while with my life will make me happy.

honestrosewater said:
:groan: :biggrin:
I really do need to learn about the current state of computational linguistics ASAP - they may already be very close.
I was just buggin. :tongue2:

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Okay, my wish list.

First, peace on earth, an end hunger, dolphins and whales are all saved, and all of that sort of thing being handled, here is my wish list in no particular order.

A personal re-entry suit. I want to push off the ISS and land in my pasture without a space vehicle.

Go to phobos or Deimos so that I can run and jump into orbit. That would be cool.

To be sucked off the planet by a passing black hole. Wouldn't that be a great ride? Tsu is hoping for that one as well.

To stand just outside the event horizon of a black hole and then stick my toe in.

Travel at or beyond the speed of light

Human powered flight is possible on the moon - obviously this would be done in a large, enclosed, air filled chamber, but there are already commercial plans to build such facilities eventually. So I have to add a trip to the moon and the chance to fly like a bird.

Last edited:

Tsu

Gold Member
Ivan Seeking said:
To be sucked off the planet by a passing black hole. Wouldn't that be a great ride? Tsu is hoping for that one as well.
No, dear. We're in this together. :biggrin: If you get sucked off the planet by a passing black hole, I'm goin' along for the ride. (WOOHOO!!!11 :rofl: :rofl:) And for SURE I can't think of anyone I'd rather be sucked off the planet by a passing black hole WITH. :!!) :!!) :!!) :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

arildno

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Tsu said:
No, dear. We're in this together. :biggrin: If you get sucked off the planet by a passing black hole, I'm goin' along for the ride. (WOOHOO!!!11 :rofl: :rofl:) And for SURE I can't think of anyone I'd rather be sucked off the planet by a passing black hole WITH. :!!) :!!) :!!) :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
From this fervent declaration of love, we can reasonably conclude that Tsu does not think that IvanSeeking is in need of the elongation effect an object experiences when approaching a black hole..

Tsu

Gold Member
arildno said:
From this fervent declaration of love, we can reasonably conclude that Tsu does not think that IvanSeeking is in need of the elongation effect an object experiences when approaching a black hole..
Uhhhh...correct. :biggrin: His toe is quite long enough. :wink: :rofl: :rofl:

arildno

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I feel for you, Tsu. It is such a bother to be kicked out of bed&sleep just because the one you're sharing it with can't keep his feet on his half. :grumpy: