Has Site Moderation Gone Too Far?

• Thread starter cd27
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the frustration and dissatisfaction of a user with the rules and moderation of a site, specifically regarding the deletion of posts and threads that contain personal theories or speculation. The user believes that the rules are too strict and that the moderators should be more considerate and understanding. However, the staff defends the rules and states that they are constantly evolving to align with the objectives of the site. The conversation also touches on the possibility of retrieving deleted content and seeking an apology from the moderator responsible for the deletion.
cd27
okay, I've been here once before, many times before, and i can still remember when you could post your personal theories in the theory development forum, but now, if you even say something remotely close to "i think" in anything, your thread is deleted andyou're told to go strait to where ever.

i personally think that's a load of bull. and "I" also "think" that it's the dumbest thing this site has ever done. i can say one thing positive about it, not too long ago is when they just told you to go to "bleepersville", but now, they've gotten enough brains to figure out that that's not nice or polite in any way and can cause a dramatic drop in members; so now they've got their own nice little pretty room set up called "Independent Research"...nice guys, great job.

yea, but they're still going to sit there and say "hey dude, you posted in the wrong spot, so i deleted your post, you should have posted over THERE ---->"...i guess they completely forgot that you spent ten minutes of your valuable time to type all of that and they ouldn't be kind enough to move it for you. oh well, i guess i can spend another ten minutes chewing their butts off about it.

oh, and another thing...why delete the entire thread like some kind of jerk instead of just deleting the parts that were "unsatisfactory" to the "rules" (yea, great job with the rules too...it only represents a prison).

cd

Physics news on Phys.org
Feel free to find another site that would be a better fit for you.

thsi one WAS a GREAT fit for me. and i felt fine with it, until they started putting up all of these stupid rules that don't make any darn sense. who the heck made these dumb rulse up anyways?

cd

The Staff makes the rules here, and the rules are not static. They evolve to be more in line with the objectives of the site. If PF is no longer a good fit for you because we no longer allow unrestrained, unmoderated speculation here then you will probably be happier somewhere else.

this place is just like a freaking prison.."you can only say what i want you to say when i want you to say it!"

cd

One other thing:

cd27 said:
i guess they completely forgot that you spent ten minutes of your valuable time to type all of that and they ouldn't be kind enough to move it for you.

Anything that was deleted was most likely "soft" deleted, which means that it is still accessible to any member of the staff. So if you would like for a moderator to retrieve the deleted work and send you a copy (so that you can post it elsewhere of course), just ask.

cd27 said:
this place is just like a freaking prison.."you can only say what i want you to say when i want you to say it!"
cd

Tom Mattson said:
Feel free to find another site that would be a better fit for you.

Are you getting the feeling that we're going around in circles?

yea, I'm just going to call one of my site reviewer friend...so "feel free to find another site that would be a better fit for you"...

cd

Last edited:
cd27 said:
this place is just like a freaking prison

Actually, it's not. You can't leave a prison. :biggrin:

yea, i'd like it back if you don't mind and i'd like for an appology from teh person who deleted it. they didn't even just move it to the right forum (i myself am a mod of another site, i know it takes less that one button to move a document).

cd

Last edited:
cd27 said:
i don't know if i even want to...with how rudely it was deleted,

Was a moderator rude to you, or do you simply think that the act of deleting was rude?

If it is the former then you can take it up with an Administrator member via Private Message. If it is the latter then I would like to remind you of our Policies, which you agreed to.

From the PF Global Guidelines:

Overly Speculative Posts:
Physicsforums.com strives to maintain high standards of academic integrity. There are many open questions in physics, and we welcome discussion on those subjects provided the discussion remains intellectually sound. Posts or threads of a speculative nature that lack substantial support or well-considered argumentation will be deleted. Posts deleted under this rule will be accompanied by a private message from a Staff member, with an invitation to resubmit the post in accordance with our Independent Research Guidelines. Poorly formulated personal theories and unfounded challenges of mainstream science will not be tolerated anywhere on the site.

If you posted any non-mainstream independent research, then according to the rules you agreed to it should have been deleted and you should have been notified with an invitation to submit to the Independent Research Forum, subject to the guidelines of that forum. If anything other than that happened to you then feel free to state your case privately to an Administrator.

i do't think i want a response from anyone like that.

You don't have to ask the same moderator who did the deleting, you can ask any of us. I only mentioned this because your comments suggested that the post that was deleted is valuable to you, and that you thought it was lost forever.

As for the complaint you registered in your opening post: retrieving your work and sending you a copy is all that can be done for you. The rules are not going to change just because you do not like them.

cd27 said:
yea, i'd like it back if you don't mind

OK, I'll track it down for you and email a copy.

and i'd like for an appology from teh person who deleted it. they didn't even just move it to the right forum (i myself am a mod of another site, i know it takes less that one button to move a document).

See my last post. If the deletion was done "by the book" then no one owes you an apology.

i won't get it through email. i only get a chance to get it twice a week. it'd be best to just send teh copy through private message.

cd

I see that you've retrieved the work yourself and have submitted it to the IR Forum, so I will consider this matter closed.

yes..and what happened to it?

cd

cd27 said:
yes..and what happened to it?
cd

Read the IR guidelines:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=82301

OHHHHHHH!...lol. sorry. thanks greg, i appreciate that. i didn't read those all the way, just kinda skimmed through it.

cd

about my thread (Psinetic Core(TM))...i just don't see how one can conclude "hey, science has'proven' that propetual motion is impossible" gives any respective thought to close a topic. i don't give a crap if it can't be done, i want to try OKAY?! tom's right, no one can help me build a propetual motion device...that's why I'm dong it, and not them. i just need to know what i need to do to build the device i described in that thread. that's it. is that too hard for a physics site to do? come on..if it is that's the cheesiest thing I've heard form this site. i don't see one person in the entire world who can explain to me why they are the ones who created the universe and therefore know everything off the bat can or can not be done. you guys look at physics a specific way, i look at it different.

the reason laws can't be broken is because you're trying to break them, and on top of that, you don't even know how to. this device will do it, and i can guarontee that. just because you say propetual motion does not exist does not mean it's true at all. idon't care how many tests you do, you're doing them wrong.

now, this is a simple device to make, but i just don't have the measurements and need to know the specifics with it. i gave the instructions on what exactly I'm trying to do with it, whether or not propetual motion exists, it has absolutely nothing to do with how to build the device. JUST HELP ME OUT WITH THIS THING!

cd

cd27 said:
i just don't see how one can conclude "hey, science has'proven' that propetual motion is impossible" gives any respective thought to close a topic.

Scientists have not disproven perpetual motion. But then again, they also haven't disproven that invisible fairies are orbiting the planet Venus. Some message boards choose to allow discussion of such speculations as fairies and perpetual motion. Physics Forums is not one of those message boards. You agreed to that before you posted, and you have been reminded about it more than once. Get the hint, please.

i don't give a crap if it can't be done, i want to try OKAY?!

Then by all means try OKAY?!

No one is stopping you.

by closing my thread, you are preventing it. screw, this site sucks. it's just a piece of crap, even the basic design sucks.. you couldn't do nay better than this? oh wel, i guess it's okay, I've seen worse. as for your stupid rules...they are just that, completely stupid. and i don't see how i broke any freakin' rule, if so, plese show me...and don't just give me some stupid link. I'm getting really tired of this crap. teh very first time i came on to this site, it was bad, but not this bad. at least now there are just a bunch of idiots knocking people down over every little thing, now they don't have to, they just click a little button that says "close" and it's done, then they blame their stupidity and arrogance on "rules" (idiotic ones i might add). i'd figure that being a "professional" site, someone could get help when they need it. all i asked for was for someone to help me with my design, i didn't want help proving propetual motion, all i need a little bit of help, but if you're not going to do anything, screw you too.

cd

Thank you for your feedback. Your opinion has been noted, and we respectfully disagree.

What is "My Feedback on This Site"?

"My Feedback on This Site" is a feature on this website that allows users to provide their thoughts and opinions on the site. It is a way for users to share their feedback and suggestions for improvements.

How do I access "My Feedback on This Site"?

To access "My Feedback on This Site", simply click on the designated feedback button or link on the website. It may be located in the navigation bar, footer, or a specific feedback section on the site.

Who can provide feedback on the site?

Anyone who visits the site is welcome to provide feedback through "My Feedback on This Site". It is open to all users and does not require any specific qualifications or credentials.

Is my feedback anonymous?

Yes, your feedback on the site is anonymous. You do not have to provide any personal information when submitting your feedback. However, you may choose to leave your name or contact information if you wish.

How is my feedback used?

The feedback provided through "My Feedback on This Site" is used to improve the website and make it more user-friendly. It is carefully reviewed and considered by the website team to make necessary changes and updates. Your feedback is highly valued and helps us make the site better for all users.