1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: My final assignment - please help me :-(

1. Dec 10, 2009 #1
    Hello guys!

I'm REALLY and i mean REALLY frustrated due to the fact that i just can't solve this stupid assignment!

I did a experiment at school with a weight attached to a spring. The weight was then set to do some swings where it sink into some water, a so called damped oscillator. I know have some values for time (s) and the force (N). So i plotted my values and got a sinus graph.

and now the s****y part..

how can i compare this with a second order differential equation and determine the constants? When i plot the values and get a sinus graph i cant even get excel to give me a function.

This is my final assignment before getting graduated from senior high school (teh schoolsystem is a bit different here in DK)

btw here is a link with values: http://www.2shared.com/file/9887389/4cc70714/Values.html

Just found out that i have posted this in the wrong section, could moderator be so kind and move this to the correct section? And i do apologies for this.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2009 #2

AEM

Well, you could do a Google search on Damped Harmonic Motion or Damped Harmonic Oscillator. I think you'll find something of value to you on Wikipedia.

I doubt that Excel knows about second order differential equations.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook