My first encounter with Feynman

• Thread starter Olaf.of.Ísland
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Feynman
In summary, the author of The Character of Physical Law says that although some philosophers argue about what nature is going to do, all of their intuitions about the subject fail in the end. He also says that models can help a lot, and that ultimately physics will not require a mathematical statement.
Olaf.of.Ísland
I just started reading The Character of Physical Law and I have to say I got goose bumps from some of the things I have read. I would like to share a few lines that I am sure a lot of you have either heard or read yourself and maybe you too can share your first experience with this fellow.

In referring to the same law explained different ways: "People may come along and argue philosophically that they like one better than another; but we have learned from much experience that all philosophical intuitions about what nature is going to do fail."

"To what extent do models help? It is interesting that very often models do help, and most physics teachers try to teach how to use models and get a good physical feel for how things are going to work. But it always turns out that the greatest discoveries abstract away from the model and the model never does any good."

"So I often made the hypothesis that ultimately physics will not require a mathematical statement, that in the end the machinery will be revealed, and the laws will turn out to be simple, . . ."

Maybe these won't be as powerful out of context but I thought I would at least share my excitement. :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
A few months ago I bought Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman! and started reading it. I'd started it years ago when I was fourteen years old or so but abandoned it because I didn't have the background to get much of the sublety. I realized just how much I enjoy the guy's thought process because mine's run along the same lines on many topics upon many occasions.
There's a website that can be accessed here that archives some famous Feynman videos. The one titled "Scientists can see beauty, too" is on my desktop and I play it on occasion to remind myself why I'm doing what I'm doing.

Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman is a very interesting book. I love it.

Andromeda321 said:
A few months ago I bought Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman! and started reading it. I'd started it years ago when I was fourteen years old or so but abandoned it because I didn't have the background to get much of the sublety. I realized just how much I enjoy the guy's thought process because mine's run along the same lines on many topics upon many occasions.
There's a website that can be accessed here that archives some famous Feynman videos. The one titled "Scientists can see beauty, too" is on my desktop and I play it on occasion to remind myself why I'm doing what I'm doing.

Great link, thanks. This is the first time I have seen him talk "real-time."
It seems I will have to check out Surely Your're Joking as well.

1. Who is Feynman and why is he important in science?

Feynman, also known as Richard Feynman, was a renowned American theoretical physicist who made significant contributions to the fields of quantum mechanics, quantum electrodynamics, and particle physics. He is known for his work in developing the path integral formulation of quantum mechanics, and for his contributions to the development of the atomic bomb during World War II. He is also known for his unique teaching style and ability to explain complex scientific concepts in a simple and engaging way.

2. What was your first encounter with Feynman like?

My first encounter with Feynman was through his famous lectures on physics, also known as the Feynman Lectures. These lectures were recommended to me by my physics professor in college, and I was immediately captivated by Feynman's ability to make complex concepts easy to understand. I was also intrigued by his unique perspective and approach to problem-solving.

3. What makes Feynman's teaching style unique?

Feynman's teaching style was known for being engaging, humorous, and unconventional. He believed in using simple analogies and everyday examples to explain complex scientific concepts. He also encouraged active learning and critical thinking by asking thought-provoking questions and posing challenging problems to his students.

4. What was Feynman's impact on the field of physics?

Feynman's impact on physics is immense. His contributions to the development of quantum mechanics and quantum electrodynamics have greatly advanced our understanding of the subatomic world. He also made significant contributions to the study of superfluidity, superconductivity, and particle physics. His work continues to inspire and influence current research in these fields.

5. How can I learn more about Feynman's life and work?

There are many resources available to learn more about Feynman's life and work. In addition to his famous lectures, there are several books written by or about Feynman, such as "Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!" and "Genius: The Life and Science of Richard Feynman". You can also watch videos of his lectures and interviews, or visit websites dedicated to his legacy. Visiting the Feynman Memorial at Caltech is also a great way to learn more about his life and contributions to science.