Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

My first encounter with Feynman

1. Dec 21, 2004 #1
    I just started reading The Character of Physical Law and I have to say I got goose bumps from some of the things I have read. I would like to share a few lines that I am sure a lot of you have either heard or read yourself and maybe you too can share your first experience with this fellow.

In referring to the same law explained different ways: "People may come along and argue philosophically that they like one better than another; but we have learned from much experience that all philosophical intuitions about what nature is going to do fail."

"To what extent do models help? It is interesting that very often models do help, and most physics teachers try to teach how to use models and get a good physical feel for how things are going to work. But it always turns out that the greatest discoveries abstract away from the model and the model never does any good."

"So I often made the hypothesis that ultimately physics will not require a mathematical statement, that in the end the machinery will be revealed, and the laws will turn out to be simple, . . ."

Maybe these won't be as powerful out of context but I thought I would at least share my excitement. :biggrin:
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2004 #2
    A few months ago I bought Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman! and started reading it. I'd started it years ago when I was fourteen years old or so but abandoned it because I didn't have the background to get much of the sublety. I realized just how much I enjoy the guy's thought process because mine's run along the same lines on many topics upon many occasions.
    There's a website that can be accessed here that archives some famous Feynman videos. The one titled "Scientists can see beauty, too" is on my desktop and I play it on occasion to remind myself why I'm doing what I'm doing.
  4. Dec 21, 2004 #3
    Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman is a very interesting book. I love it.
  5. Dec 21, 2004 #4
    Great link, thanks. This is the first time I have seen him talk "real-time."
    It seems I will have to check out Surely Your're Joking as well.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?