Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

My first lecture

1. Aug 18, 2011 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

WOOT! I just had my first lecture tonight, went 2 1/2 hours.... with 20 minute break.

And....................

My head hurts. I've never had to talk that long before in my life. I'm glad I brought water.

So how did it go? Well, I don't want to talk myself up too much, but I think I'm the greatest lecturer in history. One girl even thanked me after the lecture. Another asked me to marry her and a few just gave me their numbers and said they knew about discretion. Whatever that means.

All in all, I'm sex.

Actually, one girl really DID thank me, but I think she may just be a suck up.

DISCUSS.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2011 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I always thought that lecturing on Mellin transforms would be a great way to attract salivating groupies.
    Unfortunately, I haven't had the occasion yet, but congratulations to you, flappers.

4. Aug 18, 2011 #3
    Congrats. I have quite an issue with public speaking. I tried to get over it by doing poetry readings when I was a teenager but that didn't really help a whole lot.

5. Aug 18, 2011 #4
    What was your lecture on, Penguin? Also, congrats. :)

I spoke about overcoming social anxiety...it worked out well enough for me. As a general rule, the more you do it, the better you get.

6. Aug 18, 2011 #5

chiro

Science Advisor

Congratulations Pengwuino!

Speaking in front of an audience can be daunting (I go to Toastmasters myself and sometimes I still get daunted), but its great for any kind of personal development.

Bravo!

7. Aug 18, 2011 #6

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I'm teaching physics/chemistry for educators.

Normally in my labs as a TA, i would only need to talk for like 10 minutes and I wasn't really lecturing to them, just making the lab run smoothly and I would always get nervous the first day. However, when I went up there, I pretty much kicked *** and took names. It was HAWT.

8. Aug 18, 2011 #7

rhody

Gold Member

Way to go, Pengy Bird,

Now can you "KEEP THEM ENGAGED", with your wit, wisdom, humor, technical knowledge. Remember, when things get tough and you find yourself grasping for words (it happens to all of us), remember what Feynman would say and do given the situation and you will be fine, I hope... hehe... :redface:

That's a tough course to teach, are these folks already educators, or studying to become educators ?

Rhody... :smile:

9. Aug 18, 2011 #8

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

So, what was the particular subject(s)/topic(s) of the lecture?

10. Aug 18, 2011 #9

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Congratulations pengy!!!! :approve:

Did you get people to leave the classroom crying yet?? It's the fun part about lecturing :biggrin:

What was the lecture about??

Be sure to fail that suck-up, nobody can stand such people :biggrin:

11. Aug 18, 2011 #10

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Crying? I thought the sign that you'd arrived as a lecturer was when you caught someone imitating you in the hall.

And, yes, the smart-alecks are usually more fun than the suck-ups - especially if you have a big enough stockpile of knowledge that you have an answer for even the strangest questions. (I still remember coaching a youth soccer team and ending a talk with "Any questions?" and having one kid ask me why soccer balls had those black spots on them. I think he was kind of surprised when that question sparked a lesson on how reading the spin on the ball helps the goalkeeper and why I put so much emphasis on shots coming off the player's foot with no spin.)

12. Aug 18, 2011 #11

Evo

Staff: Mentor

WOOT!!! Go PENG!!!!

So did you make them laugh? Hey you could be the next Brian Cox!

13. Aug 18, 2011 #12
    LOL! Wow Peng! Good work! :D Ha I have always wondered too how professors can lecture for so long.

14. Aug 18, 2011 #13

Pengwuino

Gold Member

They're studying to become educators. Now where do I go find some technical knowledge, wit, and wisdom? :D

It was just the intro "why is science is important, this is what a theory is, this is how science works, and here's a quick math review" kind of lecture.

I thought that's when it was time you departed as a lecturer :rofl:

OH so that's why they're made like that! Learn something every day :)

Yup I made them laugh. Little do they know that will be the last laughing they'll ever do in my class :devil:

15. Aug 18, 2011 #14
    Congrats Penguwino :D This rox!

16. Aug 18, 2011 #15

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Congrats Penguwino! :smile:

(I just Googled for Penguwino and only found another post of HeLiXe! :wink:)

17. Aug 18, 2011 #16

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Anyway, are there tests or reports planned for the near future?? I need a laugh :biggrin:

18. Aug 18, 2011 #17
    I guess I'm not discrete :tongue2:

19. Aug 18, 2011 #18

Pengwuino

Gold Member

3 weeks until the first exam! There is going to be free-response questions. I may or may not have put them in there simply to have material to laugh about.

And thanks for the congrats everyone :P

20. Aug 18, 2011 #19

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

<wonders what a penguin accent sounds like>

21. Aug 19, 2011 #20

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Congratulations Pengwuino!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook