My first motor bike was a BSA C11G

  • Thread starter wolram
  • Start date

wolram

Gold Member
4,224
550
Ok, hands up who can remember, filling up with petrol, takeing your girl, "oops"
lady friend to the pictures then having a fish and chip supper, all for 10 bob.
Well thats about the time we had our first tv, BBC only, when ITV came along
we had a converter by the side of the tv.
Thinking back cars were a luxury back then, and the anoraks were car spotters,
i even remember grass growing in the middle of the back lane to our village, and
im not THAT old.
Mom had a treadle singer sowing machine, our cooking was done on a bottled
gas cooker, and all the young lads wore short trousers.
My first motor bike was a BSA C11G, my first car was an ancient sit up an beg
ford pop.
 
50
9
your lucky to be able to get a more than 2 drinks each with 10 bob nowadays
 

brewnog

Science Advisor
Gold Member
2,701
7
'Fraid my hands are firmly down there, wolram.

I can't even remember being able to fill up a car for less than £30, let alone £10, and let alone getting cinema tickets and a chippy for two out of it too!

I can, however, remember short trousers. I'm wearing a pair right now...
 
(Edit: Actually, having said all those "old" things below, I realize now that your examples are generally older yet! So I don't know whether to keep my hand up or put it down! :smile: I understand the bbc/controller box was introduced in the sixties? Was it earlier?)

Yep. Three television stations, ABC, NBC, CBS. Bunny ear antennae. The picture in black and white on a nine-inch screen, flipping every three seconds.

Petrol when I started paying attention (a few years later) was 30 cents a gallon. Movies were 2 dollars. Fish and chips --- The chips weren't potatoes, they were crispy bits of fried batter and yum yum yum. We didn't discover fish and chips and vinegar until years later, though the song (sung in a round, Part 1: "One bottle of pop, One bottle of pop, One bottle of pop, One Bottle of pop. One bottle of pop, One bottle of pop, One Bottle of pop." Part 2: Fish, and chips and vinegar, vinegar, vinegar. Fish, and chips and vinegar, pepper pepper pepper salt." Part 3: "Don't put your dust in my dustpan, my dustpan, my dustpan. Don't put your dust in my dustpan, my dustpan's full.") is a fond memory from early childhood.

So now when we head to the Crown and Anchor and they set out the vinegar, I grin and think about my dad from 30 years ago.

Dad wanted mom to wear only skirts, no trousers. We couldn't go barefoot - might get hookworm. Girls couldn't grow up to be astronauts (so my sister went and showed *him.* No, she never made it as far as astronaut - hood, too bad.)

Breadbins and milkboxes.

And other things that were a lot different way back when.
 
Last edited:
brewnog said:
I can't even remember being able to fill up a car for less than £30, let alone £10, and let alone getting cinema tickets and a chippy for two out of it too!

Oooh ouch.

Get a Prius. The tank fills for 20 American dollars (roughly 10 - 12 pounds.) You can drive 400 miles on a tank. The money you save - will pay for the chippies! (Wait - you have really high fuel taxes. I forgot that. New calculation - at 92 pence per liter, you'd pay about 17 pounds to fill the tank.)
 
Last edited:
50
9
i paid 8.80 for 2 pints of carlsberg, 2 lemonades and an archers last nite. Daylight robbery really.
 

wolram

Gold Member
4,224
550
brewnog said:
'Fraid my hands are firmly down there, wolram.

I can't even remember being able to fill up a car for less than £30, let alone £10, and let alone getting cinema tickets and a chippy for two out of it too!

I can, however, remember short trousers. I'm wearing a pair right now...
Aw come on, £30 quids is not more than yesterday, "were you born yesterday"
or may be you are a sprog pretending to be adult
:biggrin:
 

brewnog

Science Advisor
Gold Member
2,701
7
pattylou said:
Oooh ouch.

Get a Prius. The tank fills for 20 American dollars (roughly 10 - 12 pounds.) You can drive 400 miles on a tank. The money you save - will pay for the chippies! (Wait - you have really high fuel taxes. I forgot that. New calculation - at 92 pence per liter, you'd pay about 17 pounds to fill the tank.)
Small fuel tank!
I get 400 miles out of mine, if I drive carefully (and I'm going down lots of hills, and there's a tail wind...). Sadly there's no chance of me being able to afford a Prius for a while.


Andy said:
i paid 8.80 for 2 pints of carlsberg, 2 lemonades and an archers last nite. Daylight robbery really.
Shocking news. I remember the days when I could get 8 bottles of Carling for £4. Oh wait a moment, that was Monday night...


wolram said:
Aw come on, £30 quids is not more than yesterday, "were you born yesterday"
or may be you are a sprog pretending to be adult
:biggrin:
Bloody £38 today, I almost had a heart attack! But yes, I'm only a little tyke, compared to some people.
 
50
9
lol, bloody special offers for students
 

brewnog

Science Advisor
Gold Member
2,701
7
Andy said:
lol, bloody special offers for students
Not a student any more old chap. Technically, I'm unemployed! :tongue:
 

*Kia*

Gold Member
18
0
hehehe I was having this conversation at work only a few days ago.
I remember polo mints being 9p per pack and panda pops were 10p and came in a glass bottle.
you got 2 sweets for a penny - sometimes even 4 if they were the right diddy ones..

And I am really not THAT old
 

wolram

Gold Member
4,224
550
*Kia* said:
hehehe I was having this conversation at work only a few days ago.
I remember polo mints being 9p per pack and panda pops were 10p and came in a glass bottle.
you got 2 sweets for a penny - sometimes even 4 if they were the right diddy ones..

And I am really not THAT old
Hi babe, Polo mints at 9p a pack? even i dont remember that.
 

*Kia*

Gold Member
18
0
Haha yeah back when the garage (uh that's not there now is it?) was Tommy's place
 

wolram

Gold Member
4,224
550
*Kia* said:
Haha yeah back when the garage (uh that's not there now is it?) was Tommy's place
Oh yes i remember the shop that isnt there anymore, the one that was at the bottom of the road, and Tommy and Mrs
Edwards.
 

brewnog

Science Advisor
Gold Member
2,701
7
I remember when Chomp bars went up to 15p.

Absolute outrage ensued, so much so that they quickly realised their folly and restored the price back to 10p. I'm convinced that no matter how much inflation affects this country's economics, Chomps and Space Raiders will always be 10p, even if it means the producers make a loss.
 
I can remember when the Beano was 19p. I can't afford it anymore. Boo.
 

brewnog

Science Advisor
Gold Member
2,701
7
I remember it being 16p, when they could only afford to print in 2 different colours each week (although I might have made that bit up).

How much is it these days?

Actually, you'd better not tell me, it'll shatter my fond memories of my raise from 20p to 30p pocket money being incredibly generous.
 

brewnog

Science Advisor
Gold Member
2,701
7
Currently something like $1.74? I'm not sure how this has been affected by todays events in London though.
 

Evo

Mentor
22,860
2,331
icvotria said:
I can remember when the Beano was 19p. I can't afford it anymore. Boo.
Beano? Here Beano is a liquid that you put on beans before you eat them, to prevent gas.
 

brewnog

Science Advisor
Gold Member
2,701
7
Evo said:
Beano? Here Beano is a liquid that you put on beans before you eat them, to prevent gas.
And why might you want to do that?!
 
Evo said:
Beano? Here Beano is a liquid that you put on beans before you eat them, to prevent gas.
:rofl: It's a comic book. I had such a funny image of little kids taking their pocket money to the corner shop every wednesday to buy the weekly edition of your version of Beano.
 

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving

Hot Threads

Top