1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

My First Observation

1. May 16, 2006 #1
    I just picked up my first telescope today, a 12" dobsonian. We've had clouds for the last 2 weeks, but thank god tonight was a clear night. Despite the light pollution, telephone wires, aerials, buildings etc, I was able to find Jupiter. It was absolutely incredible. Could make out several bands across the surface, and 4 moons. I need to learn to use my finderscope better before I can find some fainter things, but damn it was exciting tonight. Can't wait to see Saturn's rings.

2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2006 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Congratulations -- Always exciting seeing what a new scope can do.

Find Saturn soon, though, or you'll have to wait until January.

4. May 16, 2006 #3

turbo

Gold Member

Congratulations! A 12" scope can do wonders. Get to a dark-sky site when you can, and prepare to be amazed. Just scan around for a while after your scope has cooled down and your eyes are dark-adapted. You will see more "faint fuzzies" than you can shake a stick at.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?