1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

My first post.

1. May 3, 2003 #1
    My first post, about rotation groups..

A result about rotation groups.

To me this seems clear, simple and very intuitive, but in all the papers and books I've read on the subject I have never seen it presented. Maybe some of you have seen it, or maybe it is new. It is very simple to state:

The group of orthonormal rotations in a space of n dimensions, SO(n) is isomorphic to the group of geodesic translations in a positively curved space (hypersphere) of n(n-1)/2 dimensions.

Last edited: May 5, 2003
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2003 #2

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Re: My first post, about rotation groups..

this is a nice thought. It may require a special clarification of what is meant by "group of geodesic translations" in order to make sense-----or this could be my private confusion and it is immediately understandable to everyone but me!

I think of the case n=3 where your theorem says
    SO(3) is isomorphic to the geodesic translations of a sphere in 3 dimensions.
    This seems right except that rotation around an axis is only a "geodesic translation" for points on the equator. So that one may have to extend the definition in some fashion.

Sorry about the vagueness, I just this moment saw your message and am replying directly.

4. Jun 11, 2003 #3
    Maybe I better clarify my statement

Choose any two points in a sphere of n(n-1)/2 dimensions, draw a geodesic from one point to the other. Every such geodesic can be mapped to a rotation in a space of n dimensions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?