Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

My first post.

1. May 3, 2003 #1
    My first post, about rotation groups..

A result about rotation groups.

To me this seems clear, simple and very intuitive, but in all the papers and books I've read on the subject I have never seen it presented. Maybe some of you have seen it, or maybe it is new. It is very simple to state:

The group of orthonormal rotations in a space of n dimensions, SO(n) is isomorphic to the group of geodesic translations in a positively curved space (hypersphere) of n(n-1)/2 dimensions.

Last edited: May 5, 2003
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2003 #2

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

Re: My first post, about rotation groups..

this is a nice thought. It may require a special clarification of what is meant by "group of geodesic translations" in order to make sense-----or this could be my private confusion and it is immediately understandable to everyone but me!

I think of the case n=3 where your theorem says
    SO(3) is isomorphic to the geodesic translations of a sphere in 3 dimensions.
    This seems right except that rotation around an axis is only a "geodesic translation" for points on the equator. So that one may have to extend the definition in some fashion.

Sorry about the vagueness, I just this moment saw your message and am replying directly.

4. Jun 11, 2003 #3
    Maybe I better clarify my statement

Choose any two points in a sphere of n(n-1)/2 dimensions, draw a geodesic from one point to the other. Every such geodesic can be mapped to a rotation in a space of n dimensions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?