My First Post: Questions About MIT, Physics & More

• Thread starter xpeter1130x
  • Start date
In summary: The odds of getting a job after getting a PhD in physics are about the same as winning the lottery. 3. There is no one "correct" field to pursue after getting a PhD in physics. 4. Salary depends on many factors, including the field you choose, your experience, and the country you live in. 5. Michio Kaku is a theoretical physicist and it's not clear what your goal is in wanting to be like him.
xpeter1130x
My first post. :))

I have some questions to ask. :))
1) How hard is it to enter MIT?
2) How hard is it to get a Ph.D in Physics?
3) What is the possibility of getting a job after getting a Ph.D in Physics?
4) How much will I get paid after Ph.D?
5) If I want to be like Michio Kaku, what field should I take?

Physics news on Phys.org

xpeter1130x said:

Whichever field gets you to a good plastic surgeon asap.

Good luck.

1) Pretty hard, though I think (undergraduate) college admissions is stupid.
2) Depends on how much work you want to put in.
3) A physics PhD does not give you any job skills, aside from the possibility of doing more research and a quantitatively-trained brain. I know that Materials Science/Engineering is a good option for physics majors. You should check out this thread.
4) See my answer to 3.
5) Wikipedia says Michio Kaku is a theoretical physicist. I'm no physicist, so you should check the sticky for "So you want to be a physicist."

Mépris said:
Whichever field gets you to a good plastic surgeon asap.

Good luck.

Hahahaha.

Its like the lottery, you should be applying to more than one school.
Depends on your motivation and perseverance.
PhD in what? There are a lot of things in physics...
No comments.

Seriously though, there is no field in physics to be on TV.

1) hard, with the sort of applicants they get every year, they can take whatever pick they feel like and have no problem justifying any of it

2) depends on how much you enjoy your work and your advisor

3) depends on how well you market yourself

4) 0~10mil+ a year

5) if you are that special you will be as successful regardless of the courses to take

Thank you for your replies.

xpeter1130x said:
Thank you for your replies.

What is your background in math and physics? It seems you have a very distorted view of physics. Physics isn't about entering MIT and making your own tv program. Its hard work for years on end grappling with mathematics and physical concepts. If your interested in making/starring in tv programs then go in the film industry.

Nano-Passion said:
What is your background in math and physics? It seems you have a very distorted view of physics. Physics isn't about entering MIT and making your own tv program. Its hard work for years on end grappling with mathematics and physical concepts. If your interested in making/starring in tv programs then go in the film industry.

He may be interested in physics education.

The world would be a lot better with more Michio Kaku's.

Although the more crap he writes, the more I feel 1 is enough.

If you want to go into physics. Learns as much elementary Algebra, Trig and Calculus as you can. Then take the physics only after you know calc I at least.

Pengwuino said:
He may be interested in physics education.

The world would be a lot better with more Michio Kaku's.

Although the more crap he writes, the more I feel 1 is enough.

Haha. Michio Kaku is a very smart man, he talks about what is theoretically possible.. unfortunately, people misinterpret his work and a lot of opinions out there don't do him justice.

If the OP is interested in physics education then he can pursue that. But at the moment he's talking about MIT, PhD, and being like Michio Kaku. Sounds like some advisement is needed to take him in the right direction. You need more than an interest in physics education to think about pursuing a PhD in physics. Physics is very math intensive.

OP, how do you feel toward mathematics?
xdrgnh said:
If you want to go into physics. Learns as much elementary Algebra, Trig and Calculus as you can. Then take the physics only after you know calc I at least.
It isn't necessary to take calculus before physics, albeit in some schools it may be a prerequisite? Though I haven't encountered a school like that around here, usually from my experiences its a co-requisite and that works just fine.

xpeter1130x said:

I will refer to the logarithmic "hardness" scale developed by "noble" prize winner Proffesor von Strazenpucherz.

1. On Professor S's scale this is certainly a 64.7, maybe 47.23, if you have a cv index of 54.235 you should be good.

2. How hard is it to fly? yeah pretty easy, this is most probably a 356.3823 hardness

3. A job as what? a cleaner? a chef? a physicist?

4. You will get paid with doing what you love.

5. If you want to be kaku, drop out of school and get a degree in journalism, spend the next 50 years of your life as a science reporter talking about black holes, time travel, aliens and genius computers. Don't expect to win a nobel prize talking about this junk, Kaku is hardly the standard to be aiming for as a theoretical physicist. Try Witten, Weinberg, Glashow, T Hooft or Laughlin.

If you want to be like Kaku it is perfectly fine for now.

For that you need to study physics in a university. Just stay tuned with physics topics that you are interested in and go through the physics degree. Eventually there is no way around the maths, but that doesn't come all at once, don't worry. Mathematics is as easy as other topics, if you pay attention and work through your modules one after each other.

Gradually you will gain more experience and you will like some of the topics more than the others. Then you can still decide whether you like to do theory or experimental physics.

All comes with time. Just stay tuned and don't forget as in post #12 "You will get paid with doing what you love".

Functor97 said:
5. If you want to be kaku, drop out of school and get a degree in journalism, spend the next 50 years of your life as a science reporter talking about black holes, time travel, aliens and genius computers. Don't expect to win a nobel prize talking about this junk, Kaku is hardly the standard to be aiming for as a theoretical physicist. Try Witten, Weinberg, Glashow, T Hooft or Laughlin.

Ummm, you do realize that Kaku was a co-founder of string field theory?

odinsthunder said:
Ummm, you do realize that Kaku was a co-founder of string field theory?

This has nothing to do with how he currently spends his time writing popular books and appearing in dumbed down science documentaries. I am not trying to deny his ability in theoretical physics, what i do object to is his elevation to the highest echelon of the mathematical sciences by teenagers and ungergraduates (which i am myself). His work simply does not warrent "I want to be like Kaku", which has replaced the more noble/lofty "Einstein" or even "Hawking".

Last edited:

This is one of my personal favourite interviews with kaku. Apparently there could be an alien probe or base hidden on the moon, monitering us as we have no knowledge of the make up and composition of the moon itself. This guy isn't interested in science, he is interested in science fiction.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_NbHSVOJFQ&NR=1"

Apparently Mr Kaku thinks 5% of UFO sightings could be real aliens http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pw13F7ahjY&feature=related"

Apparently Terrorists have the primary motivation of stopping us from exploring out of space etc. Forget social injustice, globalisation, American Imperialism, these dastardly men are going to stop us playing star trek! Its just not fair!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSiVGw8rRlQ"

What more do you expect from a man who believes his occupation is to be a "god" or experience the thought process of "god"?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsmUi6k_Ya4&feature=related"

If you want to be a scientist, Kaku is not a man you should be idolising, much of what he says is pseudoscience to say the least. While his String Field work may have contributed to our knowledge he has long since given up this process. It makes me question the ideology of string theorists in general.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi friends!

My name is Mell Gibson

I am a big fan of physicsforums.

I am very thankful to all senior members for giving me an opportunity to share their knowledge with me.

Regards

Mell Gibson

I started liking Physics because I thought it was fun. I had always been curious about just about everything and it just so happened that physics was able to explain all this phenomena to me in a logical manner. That's what got me hooked. I never read any Hawking or Kaku.

mellg said:
My name is Mell Gibson

:rofl:

Your first time on a forum, I take it?

mellg said:
Hi friends!

My name is Mell Gibson

I am a big fan of physicsforums.

I am very thankful to all senior members for giving me an opportunity to share their knowledge with me.

Regards

Mell Gibson

They will never take away our PHYSICS!

Functor97 said:
They will never take away our PHYSICS!

In a similar note for our new member:

THIS... IS... PHYSICSFORUMS!

xpeter1130x said:

NuclearTide said:
1) Pretty hard, though I think (undergraduate) college admissions is stupid.
3) A physics PhD does not give you any job skills, aside from the possibility of doing more research and a quantitatively-trained brain. I know that Materials Science/Engineering is a good option for physics majors. You should check out this thread.

I disagree with NT's answer to 3.. I don't think it applies to all branches of physics equally.1. Getting into MIT is hard. Even if your qualified in every way, your chances of getting in still aren't that great. However, getting into MIT is not a requirement for a successful career in physics.

2. It's a lot of work involved, but not impossible. The important thing is to make sure you want to get a PhD in physics. And this is where your undergraduate classes and internships should help you.

3.As I said, I disagree with Nuclear Tides answer. The thread he linked to may apply to certain fields, but it is not general. I know quite a few people who, when done with their PhDs are able to do maintenance on complex laser systems and other optical and photonic systems, use finite element simulation software expertly, code in MATLAB, Labview and C++, give cogent talks and presentations (extremely important skill), and, of course, 6+ years of analytical problem solving experience. Any one person's PhD job prospects will strongly depend on their field and the skills they pick up there, along with how they market themselves.

4. You should only do a PhD if you really love learning physics and couldn't imagine doing anything else for a career. If your main concern is money, then you will want to reconsider a PhD. PhD's salaries are usually comfortable, but don't expect to live a life of extravagant luxury off any physicists salary. (Also, expect to work HARD for that money!)

5. Study what you love. If you choose physics, you will learn that physics and a career in physics are much different than how the popular science writers portray them.

Last edited:

I would like to reiterate what G01 has said about studying what "you love". In my opinion, it's important you figure out what that is and you do it. Try getting a feel of how the subject/field is actually like and see if you will like it.

I'll tell you my story, albeit, an abridged version of it. Everyone wanted me to be a doctor or an engineer...you know, because that's the thing to do if I wanted to walk into the supermarket, pick anything my kids want and walk out without thinking too much about the cost of an extra box of cookies or two. I decided that this was not *me* and I'd be better suited doing some other thing. I had always loved reading and I had recently started writing a bit and I decided that I was going to study English Literature. Two years down the line, after having studied some English Lit. at a fairly advanced level, I decided it really was not for me. I just didn't see myself being able to stay "tied down" to *just that*.

I see myself as more of a "free spirit"*. Incidentally, along the way, I was doing some math and I found out that I enjoyed the challenge and I kept asking myself why the math is the way it is. "What is this d/dx? Right, it's the rate at which this one thing changes when I change this other thing! Cool!" Well, yeah, it was something like that. The fact that I question just about everything there is helped as well. Anyway, that's that. Figure out what you like.

For the record, I still love writing and I probably won't ever stop. I just think it doesn't mean I should spend my parent's money to get a degree in Creative Writing which, let's face it, is not going to get me anywhere.

*I do enjoy literature but only certain aspects of it. I don't see myself as being able to go through 3-4 years of studying various parts of literature that I won't enjoy. For instance, I found Jane Eyre to be an abomination, utter tripe. But The Importance of Being Earnest? The Government Inspector? Caligula? YES PLEASE!

Imagine that literature consists of fields A-Z and that's what you have to study at the university level. I don't like fields A-Z and it's very likely that I will end up not doing any reading at all, in those fields I heavily dislike because they bore me. (Jane Eyre) BUT, I dig fields X-Z. Interestingly, I don't need a degree in literature to study these - I can still do this on my own, whenever I want.

1. What is MIT and why is it famous?

MIT stands for the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. It is a prestigious private research university located in Cambridge, Massachusetts. MIT is famous for its strong emphasis on science, engineering, and technology, and for producing numerous successful entrepreneurs and innovators.

2. What is the study of physics and why is it important?

Physics is the branch of science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It is important because it helps us understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the universe, and it also has practical applications in fields such as engineering, medicine, and technology.

3. What are some common misconceptions about studying physics?

One common misconception is that physics is only for geniuses or extremely gifted individuals. In reality, anyone can learn and understand the basic concepts of physics with dedication and hard work. Another misconception is that physics is boring or irrelevant, when in fact it is a fascinating subject that can explain many phenomena in our daily lives.

4. What are some potential career paths for someone with a degree in physics?

A degree in physics can lead to a variety of career paths, including research and development in industries such as aerospace, energy, and technology. Physics graduates can also pursue careers in data analysis, finance, or teaching. Many also go on to graduate school to further specialize in a specific area of physics.

5. How can I prepare for studying physics at MIT?

To prepare for studying physics at MIT, it is important to have a strong foundation in math, as well as a curiosity and passion for understanding the world around us. You can also familiarize yourself with the courses and research opportunities available at MIT, and seek out opportunities to participate in physics-related activities or competitions. It is also helpful to have good time management and study skills to keep up with the rigorous coursework at MIT.