My first year of my physics/pre-med program is almost done. .

In summary, the conversation discusses the dilemma of a non-traditional student who is considering entering either a physics graduate program or medical school. The student is contemplating if they should pass on research to finish their degree in only 3 years, thus allowing them to enter graduate school or medical school sooner. The conversation also mentions the option of an MD/PhD program, which combines both graduate school and medical school. Ultimately, it is mentioned that research experience is important for graduate school admissions in physics, and it is unclear if graduating in 3 years is viewed positively by medical school admissions committees.
Leonidas1
My first year of my physics/pre-med program is almost done (studying at UoWestern ontario.) I have heard some students say that they are going to pass on research so that they may take more courses to finish off their degree a year earlier(by taking 3 summers of courses to finish a 4 year program in only 3.)

Now that summer is only months away, should i consider this approach and go right into my master's program or enter medical school.Will my graduate school(for physics) prefer that i do some research?

I'm concidering this since I am a non-trad student. I graduated last year(21) from a community college in electromechanical engineering technology. Now 22 I'm looking into my future and see myself doing either 2 things.try and get a academic career going in physics or go to medical school. I would rather take the time to study then do research if i do decide to attend medical school.

My mind isn't made up just yet, so any feedback would be gladly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Physics graduate school admissions committees will look for research experience.

One question I am not sure about is if graduating in 3 years is looked highly on by the medical school admissions committees. (Physics graduate committees don't really look for this... they look for good test scores, GPA, and RESEARCH!)

I do, however, know several undergrads (physics majors) that graduated in 4 years, did significant amounts of research in physics groups, then went to excellent medical schools. They studied hard for their MCATs and also took many extra courses in chemistry and biology.

One (long program) that you could look into and prepare for is an MD/PhD program. They are highly competitive... and are both grad school and med school. Your thesis research (done after a year or two of med school classes) would be medical-related, then after your thesis you would return to do medical residency.

Take all this with this in mind... my experience with both graduate schools and MD/PhD programs is USA in origin.

my advice would be to carefully consider all of your options and decide what path aligns best with your long-term goals and interests. While completing your degree in three years may seem appealing in the short-term, it is important to also consider the potential benefits of gaining research experience. Research allows you to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as gain a deeper understanding of the scientific process. This experience can be valuable for both graduate school and a career in either physics or medicine.

If you are unsure about your career path, I would recommend exploring both options further by talking to professors, attending seminars and workshops, and perhaps even shadowing individuals in both fields. This will give you a better understanding of what each path entails and help you make a more informed decision.

Additionally, as a non-traditional student, it is important to consider how your previous education and experiences can contribute to your future goals. Your background in engineering technology may be advantageous in pursuing a career in medical physics or biomedical engineering, for example.

Ultimately, there is no right or wrong answer here. It is important to carefully weigh your options and choose the path that aligns with your interests and goals. And remember, it is never too late to change your mind or pivot your career path. Keep an open mind and continue to explore your options as you progress through your education and career.

What courses should I take in my first year of a physics/pre-med program?

In your first year of a physics/pre-med program, it is important to take courses in calculus, general chemistry, biology, and physics. These foundational courses will provide you with a strong understanding of the fundamentals necessary for success in your future classes.

What are some tips for succeeding in my first year of a physics/pre-med program?

Some tips for succeeding in your first year of a physics/pre-med program include attending all of your classes and actively participating, seeking help from professors and tutors when needed, staying organized and managing your time effectively, and forming study groups with your peers.

What are the differences between a physics and pre-med program?

A physics program focuses on studying the fundamental principles of matter and energy, while a pre-med program is geared towards preparing students for medical school and careers in healthcare. However, there is significant overlap between the two fields, as physics is the basis for many medical concepts and technologies.

What types of research opportunities are available for first-year physics/pre-med students?

There are many research opportunities available for first-year physics/pre-med students, including assisting professors with their research projects, participating in summer research programs, and joining a research lab on campus. These experiences can provide valuable hands-on experience and help you explore your interests in the field.

What are some potential career paths for students in a physics/pre-med program?

Students in a physics/pre-med program have a variety of potential career paths available to them. Some may choose to pursue medical school and become doctors, while others may go into research, teaching, or other healthcare-related fields such as physical therapy, dentistry, or optometry.