Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

My fossils

1. Jun 14, 2008 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Here are a few of my fossil rocks I picked up outside, they are everywhere.

I am going to post some large ones for detail, so sorry if you have to scroll. I was going to post this in earth but images are disabled.

Bear with me as I add pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2008 #2

Evo

4. Jun 14, 2008 #3

turbo

Gold Member

Nice! There must be limestone everywhere around you.

5. Jun 14, 2008 #4
    Nice Evo! The cylindrical ones in the first picture look like crynoid stems while the others look like fossil bryozoans ie; coral. I actually took a trip to an old limestone quarry in Alabama just a few days ago. If I can take some pics i'll post them up.

6. Jun 14, 2008 #5

Evo

Yes, if you have fossil pictures, post them here!!

It's sandstone and limestone turbo. Unfortunately I had to leave all of my fossil rocks except for these few at my old house, I had hundreds. I see some down in the ditch of darn though.

I have more pictures I am trying to find.

7. Jun 14, 2008 #6

Evo

This one is quartz, but it appears to have formed around something that is not part of the quartz. If I had my old photo software,you could see how the quartz forms a lattice enclosure over something inside.

[​IMG]

This is the other side.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2008
  8. Jun 14, 2008 #7

Astronuc

Very cool!

You could set up a road side stand and sell fossils to tourists. :biggrin:

9. Jun 14, 2008 #8
    I really need to scan the ones in my display case, but here's a few I have laying on my dresser and coffee table.

Brachiopods
    [​IMG]

Underside of the brachiopod at the bottom in the previous picture
    [​IMG]

Bryozoans
    [​IMG]

Crinoid Stems
    [​IMG]

10. Jun 14, 2008 #9

Evo

Those are awesome B.Elliot!!!! I wonder if mine are still at my old house? :cry: I had some crinoids as big around as my thumb and 8" long. <snif> Most of the really large brachiopods had slightly crushed tops where they had been exposed. Had what looked like shark teeth in some.

11. Jun 14, 2008 #10
    Thank you. :biggrin:

I'd love to find some crinoids of that diameter, especially that length! All of mine range from a 1/4" to 1-1/2" at most. If you can get a hold of the shells with the teeth, I'd looove to see them.

12. Jun 14, 2008 #11

Evo

That crinoid stem in the middle of post two is one stem, you can see where it was broken, that one is about 10" long. Also, I should add that I can wear a size 7 ring on my thumb! I am positive that I moved with me a mid section of a crinoid inbedded in rock as big around as my thumb, very cool. I moved that one because it broke off from a larger piece and I threw it in the box. I will go crazy until I find it.

13. Jun 14, 2008 #12
    I hope all theses pictures don't completely overtake anyones connection, so i'll only post a few more. Awesome thread Evo! :biggrin:

Trilobites: Dalmanites
    [​IMG]

Trilobites
    Top: Calymene
    Bottom: Ptychagnostus
    [​IMG]

Trilobite: Metacanthina
    [​IMG]

Bryozoan: Plumatella repens (Not 100% sure)
    [​IMG]

These are from a dig I went on at the Coon Creek formation in western Tennessee.
    Top Right: Complete Pterotrigonia thoracica (Official Tennessee state fossil)
    Others: Cyclina parva.
    [​IMG]

If you ever find any that are very brittle and you fear they might get broken, coat them in Mop and Glo with a small brush and allow them to dry. I treated mine over ten years ago and the coating is still very strong

14. Jun 14, 2008 #13
    Good lord that thing is big. If you don't mind me asking, where was your old place located at? It almost has to be the southeastern area of the midwest.

15. Jun 14, 2008 #14

Evo

Here are some brachiopods, you can see the different shapes and sizes.

[​IMG]

16. Jun 14, 2008 #15

Evo

Those are AWESOME!!!!! Unfortunately most rocks I pick up have been bulldozed by construction and it's hard to find nice whole specimens. I hate you!! :biggrin:

I live in Kansas, we were undersea 440 million years ago.

17. Jun 14, 2008 #16
    Ugh, Kansas, the most boring state I've ever been...Too flat!

Cool fossils all.

18. Jun 14, 2008 #17
    Kansas?---Kansas has got some great places to go on the western side

I thought it would be fun to go to the Dakotas in the area where Sue was found if its available to the public

19. Jun 14, 2008 #18

Evo

Can anyone identify the fossil toward the top right?

[​IMG]

Arrgh, I had reduced this to e-mail it and hopefully the full size image is stil on the camera, but I have no way of downloading it right now.

20. Jun 14, 2008 #19
    You should go into Paint and circle it...If its the one I think it is then it looks like a tiny trilobyte

21. Jun 14, 2008 #20

Evo

I can enlarge it on my computer to see it beter, but I can't save it enlarged. It looks like a fleur de lis, not a trilobite.

rew, if you can view it enlarged on the Win 98 computer of yours, i'll e-mail it to you.

[​IMG]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?