My friend and MIT

• Thread starter um0123
  • Start date
GCT
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I have a friend who says he wants to become an engineer, and says the only way he will become a respected engineer is by going to MIT as an ungdergraduate. I told him he is f****ing ridiculous and shouldn't think like that.

Tell me what to tell him to change his mind.
BTW engineers are not doing very well in the job market nowadays , lots of lay offs.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
:biggrin: And they have the BEST faculty too. :biggrin:

There are a lot of good engineering schools. As for MIT, I dunno. My friends with engineering degrees don't have a very high opinion of MIT grads when it comes to employing them. Sure, they get good coursework, but the prevailing opinion is that they also lack common sense and people skills that are essential to dealing with clients in engineering. It's not that MIT makes them antisocial, but more that their selection process seems to pick out the fiercely competitive students who have attitudes similar to the friend of the OP, and don't focus much on social skills or team players.

But, if that's where he's set on going, and perceives it as the best, let him aim for it. All I'd ask him is what is his back-up plan if he can't get into MIT. He should at least be thinking about that.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are a lot of good engineering schools. As for MIT, I dunno. My friends with engineering degrees don't have a very high opinion of MIT grads when it comes to employing them. Sure, they get good coursework, but the prevailing opinion is that they also lack common sense and people skills that are essential to dealing with clients in engineering. It's not that MIT makes them antisocial, but more that their selection process seems to pick out the fiercely competitive students who have attitudes similar to the friend of the OP, and don't focus much on social skills or team players.
The Indian students on my engineering course are amazing at maths, but not so good at the practical side of things. The best all round student I met was a Russian, he told me that part of his high school work involved a lot of practical skills (particularly workshop stuff), things which you don't always see in schools here in the UK.

I don't know what everyone else thinks, but I find common sense very important in engineering. Otherwise I see a lot of over complication and over thinking when it comes to designing a relatively simple object. In my first year we had to design and build a simple rib and spar wing, and to test it you had to hang 2kg off it and it not break. Some of the designs were amazing on paper, but far too intricate and over the top for what they needed to be. Suffice to say they were the first to fail the test.