1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

My GPA

1. Jun 18, 2007 #1
    OK. I thought that GPA is calculated in a different way. But my school says that that's the wrong way.
    I got an average of a 87.25% in 9th grade. The school gave me a GPA for that of 3.56
    In 10th grade I got an average of 90.325. The school gave me a GPA of 3.75. I thought it should be a 4.0. But the school is saying that you get a GPA of 4.0 only if you get all A's.
    in 11th grade, the gpa is a 4.0. i'm changing schools so i needed a transcript.
    they gave me a total gpa of 3.77
    I thought that the total gpa is found by finding the average of each year's grade. That was a 90.somethign.
    So I was really happy thinking I got a GPA of 4.0.

Is my school right?:frown::cry:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2007 #2

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your GPA is the average of the grade point values for each course. Suppose you have five courses, courses A, B, C, D, and E. Your final marks for these courses are:

A: 78%
    B: 62%
    C: 88%
    D: 93%
    E: 81%

There is some chart which assigns each mark a grade point value. In my school, 85%-100% merits a 4.0, 80%-84% gets you a 3.7, etc. So with each mark above, a grade point value will be associated, perhaps something like this:

A: 78%; 3.4
    B: 62%; 2.0
    C: 88%; 4.0
    D: 93%; 4.0
    E: 81%; 3.7

Your average mark for this semester will be (78% + 62% + 88% + 93% + 81%)/5 = 80.4%. Your GPA is not based on this number whatsoever, though. Your GPA is the average of your grade point values. In this example, it would be (3.4 + 2.0 + 4.0 + 4.0 + 3.7)/5 = 3.42. So, if your school makes a grade of A equivalent to a grade point value of 4.0, then yes, you do need to get all A's to get a GPA of 4.0.

4. Jun 18, 2007 #3
    Darn.
    This sucks.
    So this means it was absolutely useless to get 99's and 97's, because everything above a 90 is a 4.0?
    In my school a 90+ is a 4
    85-89 is a 3.5
    80-84 is a 3
    and so on.
    So this means I won't be able to get a 4.0 in my high school.
    Even if I get a 4.0 next year, it will still be a 3.8...
    isn' this unfair. In your school it's different in mine it's different.
    if i apply to a university will they even care about this?
    Edit: and how come there's no 4.5 for a 95-99%?
    unfair and depressing

5. Jun 18, 2007 #4
    A -4.0
    B -3.0
    C -2.0
    D -1.0
    F -0.0

Whats not fair about that? Any school you apply to will care a LOT about your grades, so get more A's.

6. Jun 18, 2007 #5
    apples,

If you think thats unfair and depressing, wait till something really unfair and depressing occurs.

Might want to sit back, and release that isn't so bad and theres bigger things to worry about than something so trivial.

7. Jun 18, 2007 #6
    My GPA is trivial?

8. Jun 18, 2007 #7
    life IS unfair

9. Jun 18, 2007 #8

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's not unfair, it just measures something else. The higher your GPA is, the more consistently you get good grades. If you get a bunch of 95+ marks but then get a few 60's, your average mark could still be over 90%, belying the fact that you did quite poorly in a few courses. The GPA is better at showing that. I would think that most schools would look at both your GPA and your average mark, in fact they might even look at all your individual marks, so no, it's not useless to get high 90's. And yes, when it comes to things in life that are truly unfair and depressing, having a less-than-4.0 GPA is trivial.

10. Jun 18, 2007 #9
    Your GPA isn't what your upset about its the system at which your GPA is scaled that your upset about.

You can't do anything about it. Its how the school system is, so why waste your time?

Focus on something to make you stand out from the other kids who have the same or better gpa as you do.

Again, you must live a charmed life if that is truly depressing to you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?