Grade 80/100 on 0-4.0 Scale: Conversion Overview

• Thread starter cscott
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scale
In summary, the grading scale for most universities can vary greatly, with some using a standard 90-80-70-60 system and others using pre-established percentage scales. Some institutions also have different letter grade equivalents, such as an A being a 95 at one school and a 90 at another. It is important to send in your transcript as is and explain your school's grading system to avoid confusion. Some universities may also use different methods of grading, such as designing tests to separate good students from exceptional ones.
cscott
What would an 80/100 translate to on the 0-4.0 scale at most universities?

Physics news on Phys.org
yea, my school hands out grades as a percentage as well...

here's one from utoronto

http://individual.utoronto.ca/leosilenieks/gpachart.html

thing is, I've seen the numbers vary wildly

for instance,

http://www.cascadia.ctc.edu/Faculty/dwhittaker/percent2gpa.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
2.7 at my school.

cscott said:
What would an 80/100 translate to on the 0-4.0 scale at most universities?
The answer depends on how uniform the grading scheme is throughout each university, or each class in any particular university. For a 90,80,70,60 system, 90% is the lowest A; 80% is the lowest B; 70% is the lowest C; and you don't want anything less than 70%. Some teachers or instructors might still use students performance statistics to determine a grading scale. Still some institutions systems might use a standard of 80% as the minimum necessary for C, or 75% for a minimum C, or any agreed & established value for a particular letter-grade. Some other pre-established percentage scale might also be in place at particular institutions.

yeah at my school an A is a 95, B is an 85, C is a 75, so you would be in the B-/C+ range (if you split the difference, B- is a 2.67 and a C+ is a 2.33, so it would be a 2.5)

That would be a 3.0 at my school.

bengaltiger14 said:
That would be a 3.0 at my school.

do you not have +/-'s?

Beeza said:
2.7 at my school.

Yowtch. It would be a 3.0 here. But an 89.99999999999999 would be a 3.0 still too though.

Where I teach, it's up to the instructor to decide how to convert the grading scheme that he uses during the course for tests, homework, etc., to the college's official grading scheme: A = 4.0, B = 3.0, C = 2.0, etc. (We also have A-, B+, etc., but I've forgotten the exact numerical equivalents.) The instructor must describe his grading system in his course syllabus.

For me, 80 (out of 100) is the borderline between B (3.0) and C (2.0). I call it a B when assigning final grades.

Last edited:
My school most engineering classes only give 1 A and 2 A- , 5 B's and the rest c's.

yeah a lot of schools judge thisngs differently, so its best to send in your transcript as it is, and tell the school about how your school grades.

I know that a lot of the math courses at ruters intentionally design the tests such that the average is between 15 and 25%, they do this so that they can separate out the people who are good from the people who are really good. A friend of mine who went to rutgers said that the test had 4 questions on it. Students were expected to be able to do 1 of these questions, however certain students could always do several. In this manner there is no pealty for being very good and working more, however there is also no penalty for not being a genius.

3.7 at my school

Wow, all these people putting an 80 at 2.7 or a C. Such a skewed scale.

In my elementary and high schools, that's an A by just a hair, and there was no "-" or "+".

At the University of Toronto, that's an A- (just barely) and gets 3.7 (the link from the guy above didn't work for me, so I'm just saying this). You don't get a C (C+, specifically) until you have 69% or lower, which is a 2.4 GPA.

It just shows how the scales are quite arbitrary and the "most universities" thing won't work all that well. My sister's university had about the same grade ranges as U of T but didn't have a 4 point scale at all.

CPL.Luke said:
yeah a lot of schools judge thisngs differently, so its best to send in your transcript as it is, and tell the school about how your school grades.

I know that a lot of the math courses at ruters intentionally design the tests such that the average is between 15 and 25%, they do this so that they can separate out the people who are good from the people who are really good. A friend of mine who went to rutgers said that the test had 4 questions on it. Students were expected to be able to do 1 of these questions, however certain students could always do several. In this manner there is no pealty for being very good and working more, however there is also no penalty for not being a genius.

I had a teacher once that did something similar. You only had like 4 or 5 problems and you did as many as you could. Then you rated which ones you felt most confident about and those counted more. If there was one you couldn't do, obviously that was the one you were least confident of, so not doing one didn't destroy your grade.

Required a completely different strategy than making sure you solved at least part of each problem hoping to get as much partial credit as possible.

What is a grade 80/100 on a 0-4.0 scale?

A grade 80/100 on a 0-4.0 scale is a numerical representation of a student's academic performance. The 0-4.0 scale is a common grading system used in many universities and colleges, where a grade of 4.0 is equivalent to an A, 3.0 to a B, 2.0 to a C, and so on.

How is a grade 80/100 on a 0-4.0 scale converted?

To convert a grade 80/100 on a 0-4.0 scale, you can use a conversion chart or multiply the grade by 0.8. This will give you a converted grade on the 0-4.0 scale.

Is a grade 80/100 on a 0-4.0 scale considered a good grade?

It depends on the grading system of the specific institution. In some schools, a grade of 80/100 may be considered an A or a B, which is generally considered a good grade. However, in other schools, a grade of 80/100 may be considered a C or a D, which is not as good.

Why is a grade 80/100 on a 0-4.0 scale important?

A grade 80/100 on a 0-4.0 scale is important because it reflects a student's academic performance and can impact their overall GPA (Grade Point Average). It can also determine eligibility for certain academic honors and scholarships.

Can a grade 80/100 on a 0-4.0 scale be improved?

Yes, a grade 80/100 on a 0-4.0 scale can be improved through studying, seeking help from teachers or tutors, and actively participating in class. Some institutions also offer grade improvement programs or allow students to retake courses for a better grade.