Is the above relation a function?

In summary, the question is whether the given relation is a function and if its inverse is also a function. From the graph, it can be determined that the relation is not a function since drawing a vertical line would result in more than one y result. By rotating the graph 90 degrees and using the vertical line test, it can also be concluded that the inverse is not a function.
aisha
X X X
X
X
X
X
X

X X X

These are the points on my graph. The question says is the above relation a function? I think this is a function, but I don't know how to justify my answer.

Also it says is the inverse of this a function? How do I know? I am thinking no because f(x) is already a function so it won't pass the horizontal line test, therefore the inverse will not be a function.?? Help me out please. :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
The Vertical Line test. If you can draw a vertical line through any point in the graph and it goes through two points, it's not a function. Otherwise, it IS a function. From your graph, it looks like it isn't a function since drawing a vertical line would result in more than one y result.

Also, judging from your graph, when you rotate it 90 degrees and use the vertical line test, it should also fail, meaning that both the function and its inverse aren't functions.

phreak said:
The Vertical Line test. If you can draw a vertical line through any point in the graph and it goes through two points, it's not a function. Otherwise, it IS a function. From your graph, it looks like it isn't a function since drawing a vertical line would result in more than one y result.

Also, judging from your graph, when you rotate it 90 degrees and use the vertical line test, it should also fail, meaning that both the function and its inverse aren't functions.

Thanks I got it. :smile:

1. What is a function?

A function is a relation between a set of inputs (the domain) and a set of possible outputs (the range) with the property that each input is related to exactly one output.

2. How can I tell if a relation is a function?

A relation is a function if each input is related to only one output. This can be determined by checking if there are any repeating inputs in the relation's table, graph, or equations.

3. How do I graph a function?

To graph a function, plot points that satisfy the relation's equation or table, and connect them with a smooth curve. The x-values represent the inputs and the y-values represent the outputs.

4. Can a relation be both a function and a non-function?

No, a relation can only be either a function or a non-function. A relation is a function if each input is related to only one output, and a non-function if there are any repeating inputs.

5. What is the difference between a function and a one-to-one function?

A one-to-one function is a function where each output is related to only one input, and each input is related to only one output. In other words, there are no repeating inputs or outputs in a one-to-one function, while a regular function may have repeating outputs.