1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

MY GRAPH need help

1. Dec 17, 2004 #1
    X X X
    X
    X
    X
    X
    X

X X X

These are the points on my graph. The question says is the above relation a function? I think this is a function, but I dont know how to justify my answer.

Also it says is the inverse of this a function? How do I know? Im thinking no because f(x) is already a function so it wont pass the horizontal line test, therefore the inverse will not be a function.?? Help me out please. :confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2004 #2
    The Vertical Line test. If you can draw a vertical line through any point in the graph and it goes through two points, it's not a function. Otherwise, it IS a function. From your graph, it looks like it isn't a function since drawing a vertical line would result in more than one y result.

Also, judging from your graph, when you rotate it 90 degrees and use the vertical line test, it should also fail, meaning that both the function and its inverse aren't functions.

4. Dec 17, 2004 #3
    Thanks I got it. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?