My gratiude/thankfulness for PF

• Thread starter Neitrino
  • Start date
In summary, the speakers express their gratitude for an online source called PF, which has been helpful in answering questions related to quantum field theory. One of the speakers asks for guidance on diagonalising Hamiltonians in QFT, specifically in terms of creation and annihilation operators. The other speaker suggests using Fock space, which is defined by a basis that diagonalises the Hamiltonian and momentum operators. They also mention that this procedure leads to states corresponding to particles with definite momentum and energy, following the relativistic dispersion relation. The speaker mentions that this can be found in chapters 2 or 3 of a book called "Peskin and Schroeder."
Neitrino
Dear PF,
Let me once again express you all my gratiude/thankfulness for PF. Many years ago I finished my bachelors courses (physics), but I could not continue Master, I had to work to earn money. But I want to learn it and now the PF remains the major source for the answers to my questions.

Gents,
How do i begin diagonalisation of Hamoltonians (in QFT ) expressed in terms of creation/annihilation operators?

Thks alot

Physics news on Phys.org
Neitrino said:
How do i begin diagonalisation of Hamoltonians (in QFT ) expressed in terms of creation/annihilation operators?

As far as I know, we only know how to do that for free field theories (and some toy models - but I don't know much about those myself).

The answer is Fock space. It is worked out in, for instance, Peskin and Schroeder (and some other books). Fock space is defined by a basis that diagonalises the Hamiltonian and the momentum operators Px, Py and Pz.
It is "sliced up" in 0 - particle (vacuum), 1 - particle, 2 - particle , ... etc... subspaces.

The 1-particle states have the peculiarity of having a relationship between the momentum eigenvalues (kx, ky, kz) and the energy eigenvalue (omega), given by the relativistic dispersion relation: E^2 = P^2 + m^2 (c = 1, hbar = 1).
Each individual state in that subspace corresponds to a particle of definite momentum and energy. It is interesting that this FOLLOWS from the diagonalisation procedure (essentially hopping around with creation and annihilition operators). It is this feature which makes people claim that second quantisation makes particles come out of quantum fields. It has not been put in hand in there. That there are states corresponding to momentum and energy eigenvalues which correspond to this E^2 = P^2 + m^2 relationship is what remains, in the quantum realm, of what we intuitively call "a particle".

Thank you Vanesch,
Could advise me in PS where is that mentioned?

Neitrino said:
Thank you Vanesch,
Could advise me in PS where is that mentioned?

I think, off the top of my head, that this must be in chapter 2 or 3. I don't know if they mention explicitly Fock space, however.

cheers,
Patrick.

What is "My gratitude/thankfulness for PF"?

"My gratitude/thankfulness for PF" is a concept or feeling of appreciation and thankfulness towards the scientific field of physics. It is a way of showing gratitude for the knowledge, discoveries, and advancements made in physics that have greatly impacted our understanding of the world.

Why is it important to express gratitude for PF?

Expressing gratitude for PF is important because it acknowledges and recognizes the hard work and contributions of scientists in the field of physics. It also encourages and motivates further advancements and discoveries in the field.

How can I show my gratitude for PF?

There are many ways to show gratitude for PF, such as supporting and promoting scientific research, volunteering at science events, or simply expressing appreciation and thankfulness to scientists and their work.

What are some examples of advancements in physics that I can be grateful for?

There are countless advancements in physics that we can be grateful for, such as the discovery of the Higgs boson, the development of quantum mechanics, and the understanding of the fundamental forces of nature. Other examples include the invention of lasers, the discovery of gravitational waves, and the exploration of black holes.

How can expressing gratitude for PF benefit me?

Expressing gratitude for PF can benefit you by fostering a sense of curiosity and wonder about the world, as well as inspiring a deeper appreciation for the scientific process and the immense impact it has on our lives. It can also lead to a greater understanding and interest in physics, which can open up new opportunities and perspectives.