My house has Lead Solder on One of the Pipes

• Thread starter dimensionless
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lead Pipes
In summary, my father took it upon himself to do some plumbing a while ago and used solder that contained lead. His reasoning was that we would not get lead poisoning because we could always use cold water for cooking and drinking and also because one joint would not cause all that much lead in the first place. However, his carelessness has lead to lead solder being present in some of our household's pipes, and if the house is more than 20 years old, the entire pipe could potentially be made of lead. It is also important to note that lead is not as harmful to adults as it is to children, and if the teenager's lead lump is handled properly, it will start functioning as a brain again once he reaches his 20's.
dimensionless
Some time in the past my father took it upon himself to due a little plumbing. He decided that it was okay to use solder that contained lead to connect two pipes right near the output of the water heater. His reasoning was that we would not get lead poisoning because we could always use cold water for cooking and drinking and also because one joint would not cause all that much lead in the first place.

My parents say they only use cold water for cooking, but they are careless and regularly use warm water by mistake. My other concern was showering. Shower steam would appear to be another route of possible ingestion.

Does this solder pose a hazard?

Physics news on Phys.org
In theory, lead solder shouldn't be used for pipes, but in reality, and especially if it's only the two ends of one pipe, little to none of that lead is even coming into contact with the water, let alone going to be leaching into it to pose a hazard. Lead in water pipes was a problem when it was what the pipes themselves were made of, so lots of contact with the water for some to get picked up along the way.

Also, the worst effects of lead are in developing children. It's not as much of a risk for adults.

Of course, it really wouldn't take long to just replace that section of pipe with lead-free solder to avoid any chance of a risk.

There is probably not a lot of let in just those few connections to cause a problem. Lead-tin solder is fairly common AFAIK. And there is lead-free solder as Moonbear suggested.

dimensionless said:
Does this solder pose a hazard?

The only hazard it poses is from breaking, and flooding your house o:)

If your house is more than 20 years old then all the joints have lead solder.
IIRC it was sometime around 1990 that they came up with the idea of lead free solder.
If the house is old enough the entire pipe could be made of lead.

Or if your hot water is supplied by the Roman aquaduct.

Moonbear said:
Also, the worst effects of lead are in developing children. It's not as much of a risk for adults.
My teenager showed up with a lump of lead he'd been carting around for a few weeks. How much do I need to worry?

If he washes his hands before sucking on his fingers not at all.
Generally you have to ingest it.

Oh right - teenager. I've had those.
That lump of lead will start functioning as a brain again once he gets into his 20's.:biggrin:

NoTime said:
That lump of lead will start functioning as a brain again once he gets into his 20's.:biggrin:
:rofl:

But, yeah, as long as he isn't turning it into a lollipop, it'll be fine.

NoTime said:
If he washes his hands before sucking on his fingers not at all.
Generally you have to ingest it.
I think it's pretty good bet that hands end up in mouths.

NoTime said:
WAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

1. What is lead solder and why is it a concern?

Lead solder is a type of metal alloy used to join pipes together. It contains a high percentage of lead, which is known to be toxic to humans. When lead solder is used in household plumbing, it can leach into the water supply and pose health risks.

2. How can I tell if my house has lead solder on one of the pipes?

The best way to determine if your house has lead solder is to have your plumbing system tested by a professional. However, if your home was built before 1986, there is a high chance that lead solder was used in the plumbing.

3. What are the potential health effects of lead from solder?

Lead can have serious health effects, especially for young children and pregnant women. It can cause developmental delays, learning disabilities, and other neurological problems. In adults, lead exposure can lead to high blood pressure, kidney damage, and reproductive issues.

4. How can I reduce my exposure to lead from solder?

If your home has lead solder on its pipes, there are a few steps you can take to reduce your exposure. These include flushing your pipes regularly, using a water filter, and avoiding hot water from the tap for cooking or drinking.

5. Can lead solder be removed from pipes?

Yes, lead solder can be removed from pipes, but it is a challenging and expensive process. It involves replacing all lead solder joints with a lead-free alternative, which may require professional plumbing services. It is important to consult with an expert before attempting to remove lead solder from your plumbing system.