Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

-MY- Idea

1. May 14, 2004 #1
    Disclaimer: Dont hurt me, im not exactly a physics nut or anything, and what Im about to say has probably been figured out, its just that I thought of it, and I never heard anything of it before, soooo....

Problem:If two objects were dropped from a height with the same texture, shape, size, and dropping conditions(this wouldnt be in a vacuum), but with different densities, would they land at the same time.

Probable answer(pounded into our heads by 4th grade science teachers)
    Yes, they will land at the same time, prooved by gallileo(sp?)

-MY- answer: no, for the heavyer sphere would break the the inertia of the air better than that of the less dense sphere.

I repeat that most likely this is already known, but no one I asked around here(where I live) got that answer, even my brother who is a freshman at CMU studying physics, so I thought it was a good Idea if he didnt get it.

Erm... Yeah... :uhh:

(First Post!!!)
  2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Welcome to PF.
    You are correct, if you include air resistance in the model (that's the "scientific" term), then the heavier ball will land first (it's usually too tiny a difference to measure, though).
    Do not use the terminology "break the inertia" about this phenomenon, it is unclear what you mean by it (I made the most favourable interpretation of that term).

However, you do not contradict Galileo, because he was talking only about free fall, i.e-, when air resistance is absent from the model.
  4. May 14, 2004 #3
    Sorry :C
    when I said "break the Inertia" I meant the fact that the air wasnt moving untill the heavyer ball shoved it out of the way. Ah well. I figured as much.

Thank you
    Last edited: May 14, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?