Help! My Friend Thinks She Can Jump off the Moon

• Thread starter The Green Giant
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Jump Moon
In summary, the person is seeking help with convincing their friend that they cannot jump off the moon. They have tried discussing with her, drawing diagrams and pictures, and even showing videos of the Apollo moon landings. They have also suggested using simpler language and explaining the concept of escape velocity, but nothing has worked. The person also mentions that trying to convince her may not be worth it and suggests mocking her to make her feel alienated and hopefully stop her from talking about jumping off the moon.
The Green Giant
Hi,

I have a serious problem. My friend thinks she can jump off the moon. I know it's really dumb, but my classmates and I just can't convince her. Say like she's a baby, cause she's a moron. We even drew diagrams and pictures. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
slap her around a few times will satisfy you, even if it doesn't help her problem. Why not try talking REAL slowly to her, because she is so simple, and try not to use big words.

Simply...NASA had to use rocket engines to get the astronauts off the moon. Show the video of the Apollo moon landings. Jumping off would have been much cheaper!

Complexly...calculate the escape velocity and show how she cannot jump that fast (ok, not a good approach for a moron)

Obscurely...sure, she can jump off the moon...for a couple feet before she falls back down due to gravity (just like on Earth). The Moon's gravity is about one-sixth that of the Earth's...so she could jump up to 6 times higher. Measure how high she can jump now and show how high that would be on the moon.

Originally posted by The Green Giant
Hi,

I have a serious problem. My friend thinks she can jump off the moon. I know it's really dumb, but my classmates and I just can't convince her. Say like she's a baby, cause she's a moron. We even drew diagrams and pictures. Please help.

giant, you are just now beginning to learning about women.

say "yes dear" and move on. no way you win the debate. in fact, if you win, YOU LOSE!

peace,

Sorry, but she's not a "dear". she's annoying and ugmo. She's also very dumb. Turn Off.

http://www.qrg.nwu.edu/projects/vss/docs/space-environment/2-whats-escape-velocity.html

Your friend will need more than a pair of legs to jump upwards at 2.38km/sec.

Last edited by a moderator:
She might be able to pull that off if she's one of those East German women

Don't try to convince her, just collectively mock her.
Mocking sort-of-behind-her-back will make her feel alienated and she'll try to become part of the group again.

There's this one guy in engineering who's a total pain in the butt. We started to make jokes about him all the time when he's sort of within hearing distance. After that he just smartened up and stopped saying stupid stuff in class (like "careful or I'll turn you into plastic").

1. Can someone really jump off the moon?

No, it is not possible for someone to jump off the moon. The moon's gravity is much weaker than Earth's, so a person would not be able to generate enough force to jump off the moon's surface. Additionally, there is no air on the moon to provide resistance for jumping.

2. Why does my friend think she can jump off the moon?

It is possible that your friend may have misunderstood or misinterpreted information about space travel and the moon's gravity. It is important to educate them about the limitations of jumping on the moon and the dangers of attempting such a feat.

3. Is it safe to attempt to jump off the moon?

No, it is not safe to attempt to jump off the moon. Aside from the fact that it is physically impossible, jumping off the moon could also result in serious injury or death due to the lack of air and protective gear needed for space exploration.

4. Has anyone ever jumped off the moon?

No, no one has ever jumped off the moon. The only humans to ever set foot on the moon were astronauts on the Apollo missions, and they did not attempt to jump off the moon.

5. What other activities can be done on the moon?

The moon's surface is not suitable for jumping, but there are other activities that can be done on the moon, such as moonwalking (walking on the moon's surface), taking photographs, and conducting scientific experiments. However, these activities require proper training, equipment, and resources.