Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

My introduction

1. May 18, 2004 #1
    Howdy everyone. I've been lurking and sporadically posting around here for the past month or so I guess, but I've not really introduced myself.

Anyways, I'm Matt.

(Hi Matt!)

A little about myself, I'm 18 and just finished my first year at the University of Missouri at Rolla (also (very) informally known as U.M. not Columbia or U.M. St. Pat's), where I'm going for a B.S. in Nuclear Engineering with minors in Physics and Math. I'm likely to get a M.S. degree some time after that but that's still a bit off and not necessarily guaranteed.

So...yeah.

Hi.

2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2004 #2

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

(Hi Matt!)

I hope your stay here is fruitful!

4. May 18, 2004 #3

jimmy p

Gold Member

welcome!! enjoy your stay and please keep the place tidy, we dont employ cleaners.

5. May 18, 2004 #4
    Aww. Well, if I must, I can try to not let the mess that is my room spill over to here.

6. May 18, 2004 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Hi Matt! Welcome to PF! I'm actually familiar with Rolla. Are you from Missouri?

7. May 18, 2004 #6
    I am and I'm not. I originally grew up in Virginia and North Carolina, and moved to KanCity about a year and a half ago or so.

8. May 18, 2004 #7
    Hi Matt,
    You will have a great time here with your background, and people are really nice and friendly (Jimmy is a bit difficult, but we all try to put with him :tongue2: ).

9. May 18, 2004 #8

jimmy p

Gold Member

you had to tell him didnt you?? :rofl: :rofl: most people have to learn the hard way!

10. May 18, 2004 #9
    Rolla eh? I got in but didn't want to go... Missouri, ehh...

(achtung matt)

who is Jimmy P?

11. May 18, 2004 #10
    Out of question, where did you go and for what major?

12. May 18, 2004 #11
    hey matt
    have fun

13. May 18, 2004 #12
    Gatech for ..... I dunno yet. Rolle was recommended by my counselor... I didn't know about their merit or anything but I knew of Gatech pretty well so I went along with my choice because of the familiarity. Rolle eh? You there already or going?

14. May 18, 2004 #13

Janitor

Science Advisor

Howdy.

I know someone who went through the Civil Engineering program at Rolla 30 years ago. He still talks about a restaurant over in Sikeston which bills itself as "the home of the throwed roll."

15. May 19, 2004 #14
    Lambert's Restaurant, not been there, but here a lot of it from a lot of the Springfield types that go here.

GA Tech, eh? That's where I would have gone had I not moved out to Missouri. I'm actually wearing a GA Tech shirt right now. Honestly I hadn't heard of Rolla until I came out here, but it's certainly a really good school for engineering. Definately doesn't have the atmosphere as downtown Atlanta, but I figure I can sacrifice that for four or five years in the name of higher education. In the mean time, hoo-rah Braves, even if they aren't quite so hot this year.

16. May 19, 2004 #15
    You can, of course, switch schools later on if you want. :) Come and join the darkside!

17. May 19, 2004 #16
    I actually briefly considered it at the end of last semester in a bout of unhappiness. Now I wouldn't switch for the world. I don't think at GA Tech I'd have near the opportunities I have at Rolla, a few of which are come next December I'll be taking the Nuclear Regulatory Commission exam to get a federal nuclear reactor operator's license, and I'll be working on a research project at the reactor trapping heavy metals in aerogels. You don't hear about too many sophomores doing stuff like that.

18. May 19, 2004 #17

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

aerogels... is there anything they can't do?

:smile:

19. May 19, 2004 #18

jimmy p

Gold Member

I'll ignore that for now, but you are definitely off my christmas card list.

20. May 19, 2004 #19
    No, I am serious. Who is Jimmy p? I dunno this character too well. Anyone can to explain?

21. May 19, 2004 #20

jimmy p

Gold Member

GRRRR :devil: I am everything. :devil:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?