How Does Morse Code Influence Modern HAM Radio Enthusiasts?

• Thread starter Prehistorik Watcher
  • Start date
In summary, Morse Code continues to play a significant role in modern HAM radio enthusiasts' communication practices, despite the advancements in technology. It is still considered an essential skill for HAM operators and is often used in emergency situations when other forms of communication are unavailable. Many HAM radio enthusiasts also enjoy the challenge and nostalgia of using Morse Code, making it a beloved aspect of the hobby. While it may not be as widely used as it once was, Morse Code remains a valuable tool for HAM radio enthusiasts and continues to influence the community.
Prehistorik Watcher
Hello, I'm enthusiast, particularly interested in the field of classical electrodynamics.

My physical related hobby is radio engineering in my home lab. I am currently experimenting with receiver circuits in HF and VHF bands.

With kind regards, Prehistorik.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi P W.
smiley_sign_welcome.gif

Welcome to the PF :smile:

Are you a HAM radio operator?

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF :smile:

Are you a HAM radio operator?

Hello berkeman,
not yet.

I will sign up for license as soon as i feel confident with my morse code skills.

Morse code proficiency is optional part of national A license here and i want it too.
I would probably pass now, but i want to be 100% sure.

Expecting to become HAM operator in about 6 months or so :-)

With kind regards, Prehistorik.

Prehistorik Watcher said:
Morse code proficiency is optional part of national A license here and i want it too.
Interesting. What country are you in? In the Americas at least, Morse Code is no longer required for HAM radio licenses. This has resulted in a large swell in the numbers of emergency responders with HAM licenses -- that's a big help here in earthquake country... :smile:

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF :smile:Are you a HAM radio operator?

Ha! Boy, did you beat me to that question Mr. Berkeman

Welcome P.W. And 73 !

Electron s.

berkeman said:
Interesting. What country are you in? In the Americas at least, Morse Code is no longer required for HAM radio licenses. This has resulted in a large swell in the numbers of emergency responders with HAM licenses -- that's a big help here in earthquake country... :smile:

I live in Czech Republic. Morse code knowledge appears only as remark in license here. It's not needed and i suppose that not
many young HAMs apply for it. But it's only my opinion, could be wrong.

I train 6 minutes reception at 17WPM, then i "resend" it on straight key.
The examination rules are: 12WPM for 3minutes RX+3minutes TX which i find a little bit boring :-)

Let's hope for some contacts in future...

With kind regards, Prehistorik

Likes berkeman

What is your name?

My name is [insert name here].

What is your educational background?

I have a [insert degree] in [insert field of study] from [insert university/college name].

What inspired you to become a scientist?

I have always been curious about how the world works and have a passion for conducting experiments and finding answers to complex questions. This led me to pursue a career in science.

What is your area of expertise?

My area of expertise is [insert specific field or topic]. I have conducted extensive research and have published numerous papers in this area.

What do you hope to achieve through your work as a scientist?

As a scientist, my ultimate goal is to contribute to the advancement of knowledge and make a positive impact on society through my research and discoveries.