Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

My invention

1. Jul 14, 2007 #1

wolram

Gold Member

It is a multi positional obstructed screw, nut , bolt starter, it is very functional and can save hours of build time, material costs are well below a
    £1, the tool could be a throw away or reusable for repeat jobs.
    Would there be a market for such an invaluable tool?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2007 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I have a threaded awl that starts screw holes, is it something like that?

4. Jul 14, 2007 #3
    You should post a picture, sounds most functional.

5. Jul 14, 2007 #4

Danger

Gold Member

There's a market for just about anything, Woolie. This sounds like quite a useful gizmo if you mean that it sets fasteners into place where they can't normally be reached. I'd buy one for sure.
    (And I advise against posting a picture. It wouldn't be conducive to proper patenting.)

6. Jul 14, 2007 #5

wolram

Gold Member

No, imagine some fastener that you can see but can not reach with your delicate hands, may be you have to remove component A,B,C to reach it,
    my tool would negate that.

7. Jul 14, 2007 #6

Evo

Is it tiny to fit into small places? They have big ones like this.

http://news.thomasnet.com/fullstory/20870/2196

8. Jul 14, 2007 #7

wolram

Gold Member

OK, imagine you can see some fastener, may be undo it with some tool, but you can not reach in to a confined space to to re locate it, my tool replaces
    the need for a hand and the removal of other components to reach it.

9. Jul 14, 2007 #8

Evo

I need one right now!

10. Jul 14, 2007 #9
    It sounds good to me. Modern cars especially have a lot of fasteners that can be removed with a tool by "feel", but when it come to finding the hole to replace (reposition it), it is a total nightmare.

There are a lot of tools on the market for working on some of them, like those blasted spark plugs that are not visible on an engine, but the smaller ones like screws and smaller bolts drive me nuts.

I like to work on my own vehicles and I have had to resort to duct tape, magnets and flexible rubber tubing among other things.

11. Jul 14, 2007 #10

Danger

Gold Member

Likewise, Edward. You wouldn't believe some of the monstrosities that I've had to cobble together just to get one stinking bolt started (especially without cross-threading it, which is pretty easy to do when you don't have tactile feedback). :grumpy:
    I say 'Go for it, Woolie'. Consult with a good patent attorney, though; it's well worth the expense.

12. Jul 14, 2007 #11

wolram

Gold Member

Thanks Danger, my invention is so simple it is all most embarrassing, but it works, and saves time .

13. Jul 14, 2007 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sounds like the definition of a good invention. And the simple patents are the often easiest to protect since there are fewer ways to cheat [get around the patent] while still maintaining the critical design features.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?