Why Is My Keyboard Typing the Wrong Letters and Numbers?

• Thread starter JamesU
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around keyboard issues and the use of symbols and numbers instead of letters. The suggestion is made to check the keyboard map or change the driver. Some members also share their own keyboard problems and preferences. One member realizes they activated the numlock and apologizes for their mistake. Another member compliments the use of symbols and numbers in the conversation.
JamesU
Gold Member
I Am CoPY!ng and Past!ng most of th!s. s0me 0f the 2eys are tyP!ng the wr0ng !etters. K c0mes 0ut as 2. 556* !s rea!y IoP, and etcetera. He!P!:eek:

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like the keyboard map got screwed up. Did you change a setting?

Off the top of my head, perhaps you can fix it in "Control Panel" (Device Manager, or System), or fix the driver, or try a new keyboard.

You poor thing! But Lisa will love your use of !

yomamma said:
I Am CoPY!ng and Past!ng most of th!s. s0me 0f the 2eys are tyP!ng the wr0ng !etters. K c0mes 0ut as 2. 556* !s rea!y IoP, and etcetera. He!P!:eek:
So what's new, my keyboard morfs all the time, no key ever stays in the same place long enough for me to touch typ.

You must have activated the numlock if k writes as two, the u must be a 4?

Monique said:
LOL! That's exactly what it looks like. :rofl:

I need to go get another stack of $9 keyboards, I just used my last one. :frown:

my keyboard works fine. I want a new mouse though. I hate this wireless one I'm using I want one of those that are about 4 inches tall. Looks much more ergonomically friendly.

I recently went through 3 keyboards (within a month) thanks to hypnagogue's "captions".

I really need to stop drinking and reading.

Monique said:
OMG YESS! I AM SO STUPID!

It took me a few minutes to find NumLock on my laptop. it is just a little lock symbol which only works when I press the Function key:grumpy:

sorry Lisa!:redface:

hypatia said:
You poor thing! But Lisa will love your use of !
:rofl: Very clever of you! Actually I wanted to tell him I really liked it, but then I saw you've already mentioned that!

1. Why is my keyboard not working properly?

There could be several reasons why your keyboard is not functioning as it should. It could be due to hardware issues such as a loose or damaged connection, or it could be a software issue such as a driver problem or a setting that needs to be adjusted.

2. How do I fix a stuck key on my keyboard?

If a key on your keyboard is stuck, try gently pressing and releasing the key multiple times to see if it becomes unstuck. If that doesn't work, you can try using compressed air or a small brush to clean around the key. If the key is still stuck, it may need to be replaced.

3. What should I do if my keyboard is typing the wrong characters?

This could be caused by a setting on your computer that has been accidentally changed, or it could be a hardware issue with the keyboard itself. Make sure the language and keyboard settings on your computer are correct, and try using an external keyboard to see if the issue persists.

4. How do I clean my keyboard?

To clean your keyboard, first unplug it from your computer. Then, use compressed air or a small brush to remove any debris from between the keys. You can also use a mixture of water and isopropyl alcohol to clean the keys and the surface of the keyboard. Be sure to let it dry completely before using it again.

5. Can I fix my keyboard or do I need to replace it?

It depends on the issue with your keyboard. If it is a simple fix such as cleaning the keys or adjusting settings, then you may not need to replace it. However, if there is a hardware issue that cannot be easily resolved, it may be necessary to replace the keyboard.