Why is my keyboard not working properly?

In summary, there seems to be an issue with the keyboard not functioning properly, possibly due to liquid damage or dust accumulation. Suggestions include cleaning the keys and keyboard with air, restarting the computer, and checking for any remapping of the keyboard. Percussive maintenance and spring cleaning have also been recommended as possible solutions. Ultimately, if the issue persists, getting a new keyboard may be the best option.
Smurf
"e", "t", "u", backspace and delete all don't work. Who knows what else.

(I wrote this message by copying letters from a web site)

Computer science news on Phys.org
Smurf said:
(I wrote this message by copying letters from a web site)
So what's the problem? :tongue2:

Have you ever taken off the keys?

Yss., I js wok p his morning and hy wrn' working.

Well, you can try popping out the keys, cleaning them, blowing anything out of the keyboard with air, and popping the keys back in. If that doesn't work, I don't know what to do. Is it possible that someone spilt liquid on the keyboard?

maybe you spilled something on your keyboard

Get a new one for 5 dollars at frys electronics :P

Yeah, keyboards are cheap. I just thought of something - it may be a hassle, but at least until you decide whether to get a new keyboard or not... you can assign the characters to other keys or key combinations, like shortcuts. I'm not sure how to do this so that it works for every program, but I'll take a look on google later if no one else knows how.

Restart the computer a few times and check the connections if the above suggestions don't work. Hell give it a few slaps and punches. Press REALLY hard on the failing letters.

Those methods have all helped me at one time or another.

Did you check that you didn't remap the keyboard accidentally? I don't remember what you need to do to reset it to default though.

Pengwuino said:
Restart the computer a few times and check the connections if the above suggestions don't work. Hell give it a few slaps and punches. Press REALLY hard on the failing letters.

Those methods have all helped me at one time or another.

Also known as 'percussive maintenance'. :biggrin:

Math Is Hard said:
Also known as 'percussive maintenance'. :biggrin:
Let's not belittle spring cleaning. Years ago I tried to install a new keyb. driver onto a PC running WinNT, and the OS stopped working (because I mucked up during the install). During the start-up, NT's blue screen would come up filled with error messages (strings of white characters like "x0A00008895" covering up a bright blue background, looking like a picture of snowfall on a sunny day). I re-loaded the OS (WinNT) into a new directory; and it started to run erratically -- every once in a while I would still get the white-on-blue error screen and would have to reboot, hoping that the OS would load this time. I limped on, until one day I had to open up the PC box to install a new piece of hardware. Its inside was so dusty. I cleaned all the dust with a vacuum and closed the box. Ever since, it has been humming along happily -- not a single instance of that pesky error happened ever since, knock on wood :smile: I think that the poor old thing was trying to tell me to clean up its insides, and when I did, it was so happy.

Last edited:
Check the connections and restart. That worked for me when mine was screwing up like that.

1. Why is my keyboard not working?

There could be several reasons why your keyboard is not working. It could be due to a hardware issue such as a loose connection, a software issue like a driver error, or physical damage to the keyboard itself.

2. How can I fix my keyboard if it's not working?

The first step to fixing a non-working keyboard is to identify the cause. If it's a hardware issue, you may need to replace or repair the keyboard. If it's a software issue, try updating the drivers or restarting your computer. If the keyboard is physically damaged, it may need to be replaced.

3. My keyboard stopped working suddenly, what could have caused this?

The sudden stop of keyboard functionality could be due to a variety of reasons, including a software update, physical damage, or a malfunctioning driver. It's best to troubleshoot the issue by checking for any recent changes or updates and trying to fix them.

4. What should I do if certain keys on my keyboard are not working?

If only specific keys on your keyboard are not working, it could be due to a hardware issue such as a stuck key or debris stuck under the key. Try cleaning the keyboard or replacing the affected keys. It could also be a software issue, so try updating the drivers or restarting your computer.

5. Can I fix my keyboard myself or do I need to take it to a professional?

It depends on the cause of the issue. If it's a simple problem like a stuck key or a driver error, you may be able to fix it yourself. However, if the issue is more complex or involves hardware repair, it's best to take it to a professional to avoid causing further damage.