Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

My keyboard dosn't work

1. Aug 28, 2005 #1
    "e", "t", "u", backspace and delete all don't work. Who knows what else.

(I wrote this message by copying letters from a web site)

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2005 #2

honestrosewater

Gold Member

So what's the problem? :tongue2:

Have you ever taken off the keys?

4. Aug 28, 2005 #3
    Yss., I js wok p his morning and hy wrn' working.

5. Aug 28, 2005 #4

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Well, you can try popping out the keys, cleaning them, blowing anything out of the keyboard with air, and popping the keys back in. If that doesn't work, I don't know what to do. Is it possible that someone spilt liquid on the keyboard?

6. Aug 28, 2005 #5
    maybe you spilled something on your keyboard

Get a new one for 5 dollars at frys electronics :P

7. Aug 28, 2005 #6

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Yeah, keyboards are cheap. I just thought of something - it may be a hassle, but at least until you decide whether to get a new keyboard or not... you can assign the characters to other keys or key combinations, like shortcuts. I'm not sure how to do this so that it works for every program, but I'll take a look on google later if no one else knows how.

8. Aug 28, 2005 #7

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Restart the computer a few times and check the connections if the above suggestions dont work. Hell give it a few slaps and punches. Press REALLY hard on the failing letters.

Those methods have all helped me at one time or another.

9. Aug 29, 2005 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Did you check that you didn't remap the keyboard accidentally? I don't remember what you need to do to reset it to default though.

10. Aug 29, 2005 #9

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Also known as 'percussive maintenance'. :biggrin:

11. Sep 2, 2005 #10

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Let's not belittle spring cleaning. Years ago I tried to install a new keyb. driver onto a PC running WinNT, and the OS stopped working (because I mucked up during the install). During the start-up, NT's blue screen would come up filled with error messages (strings of white characters like "x0A00008895" covering up a bright blue background, looking like a picture of snowfall on a sunny day). I re-loaded the OS (WinNT) into a new directory; and it started to run erratically -- every once in a while I would still get the white-on-blue error screen and would have to reboot, hoping that the OS would load this time. I limped on, until one day I had to open up the PC box to install a new piece of hardware. Its inside was so dusty. I cleaned all the dust with a vacuum and closed the box. Ever since, it has been humming along happily -- not a single instance of that pesky error happened ever since, knock on wood :smile: I think that the poor old thing was trying to tell me to clean up its insides, and when I did, it was so happy.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2005
  12. Sep 12, 2005 #11
    Check the connections and restart. That worked for me when mine was screwing up like that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?