My keyboard dosn't work

• Thread starter Smurf
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

"e", "t", "u", backspace and delete all don't work. Who knows what else.

(I wrote this message by copying letters from a web site)

Answers and Replies

honestrosewater
Gold Member
Smurf said:
(I wrote this message by copying letters from a web site)
So what's the problem? :tongue2:

Have you ever taken off the keys?

Yss., I js wok p his morning and hy wrn' working.

honestrosewater
Gold Member
Well, you can try popping out the keys, cleaning them, blowing anything out of the keyboard with air, and popping the keys back in. If that doesn't work, I don't know what to do. Is it possible that someone spilt liquid on the keyboard?

maybe you spilled something on your keyboard

Get a new one for 5 dollars at frys electronics :P

honestrosewater
Gold Member
Yeah, keyboards are cheap. I just thought of something - it may be a hassle, but at least until you decide whether to get a new keyboard or not... you can assign the characters to other keys or key combinations, like shortcuts. I'm not sure how to do this so that it works for every program, but I'll take a look on google later if no one else knows how.

Pengwuino
Gold Member
Restart the computer a few times and check the connections if the above suggestions dont work. Hell give it a few slaps and punches. Press REALLY hard on the failing letters.

Those methods have all helped me at one time or another.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Did you check that you didn't remap the keyboard accidentally? I don't remember what you need to do to reset it to default though.

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Pengwuino said:
Restart the computer a few times and check the connections if the above suggestions dont work. Hell give it a few slaps and punches. Press REALLY hard on the failing letters.

Those methods have all helped me at one time or another.
Also known as 'percussive maintenance'. :biggrin:

EnumaElish
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Math Is Hard said:
Also known as 'percussive maintenance'. :biggrin:
Let's not belittle spring cleaning. Years ago I tried to install a new keyb. driver onto a PC running WinNT, and the OS stopped working (because I mucked up during the install). During the start-up, NT's blue screen would come up filled with error messages (strings of white characters like "x0A00008895" covering up a bright blue background, looking like a picture of snowfall on a sunny day). I re-loaded the OS (WinNT) into a new directory; and it started to run erratically -- every once in a while I would still get the white-on-blue error screen and would have to reboot, hoping that the OS would load this time. I limped on, until one day I had to open up the PC box to install a new piece of hardware. Its inside was so dusty. I cleaned all the dust with a vacuum and closed the box. Ever since, it has been humming along happily -- not a single instance of that pesky error happened ever since, knock on wood :smile: I think that the poor old thing was trying to tell me to clean up its insides, and when I did, it was so happy.

Last edited:
Check the connections and restart. That worked for me when mine was screwing up like that.