Need Help Choosing Between Dell & Sony Viao

• Thread starter student007
  • Start date
In summary, the article talks about how the new Intel processors will be coming out soon and how they are better than the old ones. I don't really know the details on timelines. I just googled and found these articles. So, based on that, it might be a good idea to get an iBook or a Powerbook if you need it now.
student007
I have about $2500CDN to spend on a laptop. What do u guys recommend? I don't think i want a mac, because its difficult to get software for it (from my experiences) and am considering a Dell or a sony Viao. WHat do u think?

Computer science news on Phys.org
get a Sony Viao
one of the better laptops I've had

hey robphy, is that motion company a well-established, reliable company? Besides, i went on the link, but couldn't find any laptops - just tablet PCs. I'm looking more for a notebook.

Anyways, i found this sony notebook, here's the link:
http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/servlet/ProductDetailDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&productId=1001585&navigationPath=32009n32160n100079

Considering my budget, what do u think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Motion is a relatively new company that makes only TabletPC slates.
I think folks are generally happy with them. Arguably, they are the best TabletPCs.

http://www.tabletpcbuzz.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=25 (Motion Tablet PCs)
http://www.tabletpcbuzz.com/

If the apparent lack of a keyboard is bothering you, there are keyboard accessories
https://www.motioncomputing.com/store/Default.ASP?WCI=wiInventory&WCE=wtcategoryDetails&Category=Input%20DevicesLE

Note that TabletPCs run a extended version of Windows XP Pro... so it can run everything that an ordinary laptop can run.

I use a TabletPC because I lecture with it... if I had to upgrade (and had the funds to do so), I'd get that Motion or the new IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad X41 Tablet.

Considering your Sony link, it looks okay... but I guess it depends on what you want out of your laptop.

For me, 6.5 lbs is heavy. My tablet is about 3.5lbs. I need an easily portable machine, as opposed to a desktop replacement. Of course, I realize that this Sony has some on-board components like a DVDRW.

Certainly, this Sony is much faster and more powerful than my 2-year-old tablet. However, that new Motion LE1600 is comparable in speed.

Last year, my wife got a nice Vaio, the V505DX. The V505DX is small, weighs 4.3 lbs, and the battery lasts about 5 hours. Be warned, however. Check the battery life for the model you choose. A friend of hers got a different Vaio model (Z series, P4?) with a big screen, and it lasted only about 2 hours.

Last edited by a moderator:
iBook or Powerbook

What are the main differences between Dell and Sony Viao?

The main differences between Dell and Sony Viao are in their design, features, and pricing. Dell laptops tend to have a more traditional design and focus on business use, while Sony Viao laptops have a sleeker and more modern design and cater to a wider range of users. In terms of features, Dell laptops typically have a longer battery life and more customization options, while Sony Viao laptops often have better graphics and audio capabilities. As for pricing, Dell laptops are generally more affordable, while Sony Viao laptops are considered more high-end and thus more expensive.

Which brand offers better customer support?

Both Dell and Sony Viao have good customer support, but Dell is known for its reliable and efficient technical support. They have a wide range of support options such as phone, live chat, and email, and their representatives are knowledgeable and helpful. Sony Viao also offers decent customer support, but they may not have as many support options available.

What are the warranty options for Dell and Sony Viao laptops?

Dell and Sony Viao both offer standard warranties for their laptops, typically covering hardware issues for a certain period of time. However, Dell also offers extended warranty options for an additional cost, which may provide more coverage and protection for your device. It is important to carefully read and understand the terms and conditions of the warranty before making a decision.

Which brand has a better reputation for reliability and durability?

Both Dell and Sony Viao have a good reputation for reliability and durability. However, Dell has been in the market for a longer time and has a larger customer base, which may indicate higher overall satisfaction with their products. Sony Viao, on the other hand, is known for their high-quality materials and attention to detail in their designs, which can contribute to their laptops' longevity.

What factors should I consider when choosing between Dell and Sony Viao?

When choosing between Dell and Sony Viao, you should consider your specific needs and preferences, such as budget, design, features, and customer support. It may also be helpful to read reviews and compare the specifications and prices of different models from both brands to find the best fit for your requirements. Ultimately, the best choice will depend on your individual priorities and priorities.