Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical My learning cat naps

1. Jul 4, 2006 #1

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When I am trying to absorb a lot of new concepts that I am studying and trying to reason out(without luck), I find that I read them several times and then I go into a mental fatigue. Often, I will lay down and I pass into this mental state where I am not quite asleep and not quite awake. All sensory experiences are tuned out and I do nothing but work in a semi-dreamlike state on processing the concepts. This usually lasts for a couple of hours and when I "awake" I usually have any misunderstanding resolved, or at least a new way to go back and look at the material with a different approach.
    I wonder if this phenomenon is something like a meditation state. I've never been able to meditate succesfully by trying to make it happen, but I wonder if my brain is able to do this for me. Is this something that other students experience?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2006 #2

somasimple

Gold Member

4. Jul 4, 2006 #3

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks for the very interesting article, somasimple. I was especially interested in this part:
    It's that second stage that I spend a lot of time in when I nap, and I am not sure if I ever go the rest of the way into SWS and REM. Of course, it could be that I am just not remembering the last stages.

5. Jul 4, 2006 #4

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

p.s. I thought this was truly amazing!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?