Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

My Little Dilemma (Work)

1. Apr 11, 2008 #1

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Alright, I would ask my friends but they're pretty much useless with regards to this

I'm moving away for the summer to Quebec City. I landed a full-time job at a cafe right in the heart of the city, and its in Vieux Quebec (Old Quebec City). It's a new cafe and it's definitely a really nice place.

I got the job right after the interview. The dilemma comes because I had an interview at a job I really want and would love to have which is at a clothing store that is also in the heart of Vieux Quebec. They interviewed me on the spot, and they seem to like me a lot. So, they called about an hour after I accepted the other job (a day after the interview) and asked for my references. I needed 2 more references but I had to wait until I got back home because I live 10 hours away!

Anyways, I'm pretty positive I am getting the job today (waiting for the call).

The problem is that this job is part-time while the other is full-time. If it's full-time (which it can be), I'll just tell the cafe I accepted another job. If it is part-time, I was considering on asking both places if they would be willing to share the time.

What are your thoughts about this?

Note: I'm definitely excited about going!

My thoughts are if it is part-time, I'll ask the clothing store right away whether or not they would be interested in sharing a part-time job with another place, if not, I'll just stick with the full-time. If yes, I'll ask the full-time place if they're interested. If the full-time place is not interested, I was considering just finding another part-time job.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2008 #2

Danger

Gold Member

While my approach to such things is that you should do what makes you happy (ie: take the part-time and supplement it), I also have a loyalty issue. It was a mistake to accept the full-time job if you still had aspirations in the other direction. Having taken the job, you should man-up and fulfill your commitment to that employer.

4. Apr 11, 2008 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

My younger daughter has held two jobs before and just advised them of her scheduling requirements. They both agreed. If you can't work out a schedule that fits the needs of both employers, you might not have the option, but it's worth a shot. And congrats on the jobs!

5. Apr 11, 2008 #4

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A bird in the hand is better than two in the bush.

I'd never turn down a job if I didn't have one. (Well, almost. There would probably be a few, but I know I've accepted some pretty lousy jobs.)

As far as loyalty goes, do you have so much loyalty to your employer that the only way you'll change jobs is if your employer lays you off or fires you? I don't think you owe much loyalty to the first job, especially before you even start working there.

6. Apr 11, 2008 #5

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yeah, I never started there yet. That's exactly how I felt. I don't feel like I owe them lots of loyatly.

The part-time job pays better per hour than the other also so a mix of both would be perfect. I've held to part-times before, so it should be doable.

7. Apr 11, 2008 #6
    Cool jason. They both sound like fun jobs to have!

(Hook me up with some expresso and nice clothes)

8. Apr 11, 2008 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Would you make tips at the cafe? The pay might end up better when you add tips, especially in a touristy area like Old Quebec City (lovely place to get to live and work by the way).

I'd see if you could work both jobs too...lots of young people do it (and not so young people who need to make ends meet). For example, work weekends in the cafe when you would earn most tips, and three other days of the week as your full time job, and then the other two days in the clothing store, and maybe a few extra evening hours the other days of the week. Heck, when it's summer and businesses are open late for tourists, and you don't have any other responsibilities other than work, you could even hold down two full time jobs and really save up cash quickly.

9. Apr 11, 2008 #8

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe the full-time employer will let you work part-time.

Jason, parlez-vous francais? (Did I remember that right :redface: ?)

I took several years of French in school, but I've forgotten all of it. Recently I've been trying to re-learn it because I have contact with Quebecois often in my job. I'm terrible at it, and mostly just manage to embarrass myself.

10. Apr 11, 2008 #9
    Quebec French is not the formal French, and if you spoke it in central France (namely Paris), people would laugh at you when you're not looking. The written language is the same, but the Quebec French bears a very strong accent when spoken. Also I find that, in general, French use fewer slangs and speak a richer language - though that's obviously up to the individual.

11. Apr 11, 2008 #10

turbo

Gold Member

The French spoken in the border regions of northern Maine is even more convoluted, and is loaded with "Franglais" - English words that were adopted and adapted by the French-speaking natives.

12. Apr 11, 2008 #11

Danger

Gold Member

Not exactly, but I'm quite happy where I am. When she interviewed me for the job, I promised that if she hired me I would work for at least 6 months even if I didn't like it or got a better offer. Finding (good) new employees is not an easy thing to do. I think that if someone decides that an applicant is hireable, and does indeed hire him/her, then that employer deserves the decency of the hiree at least pretending to actually want the job long enough to demonstrate some appreciation for the trust.

13. Apr 13, 2008 #12

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why should you make promises about the future when you know nothing about it? I don't value such things because there is no basis for it . That's not loyalty in my books. And you need to earn loyalty, I don't just hand it out.

Anyways, I got both jobs which is really nice!

I'm working at Simons, which is www.simons.ca I'm sure Cyrus would like that store. Go to stores, and look for the Vieux Quebec store. I also work at the cafe (now part-time) which is like brand new and is really nice. Now, I'm looking for a place to live in Vieux Quebec or Quebec City (prefereably in Vieux Quebec). I'm leaving in 3 weeks! :smile:

Note: Links for my store although I'm not positive if I'm allowed to post them.

http://www.simons.ca/Magasins/Magas...9&menuID=53a64a0b-92fa-4503-ac49-e3b07af198e9

http://www.simons.ca/Magasins/DetailMagasins.aspx?ItemID=53a64a0b-92fa-4503-ac49-e3b07af198e9

Last edited: Apr 13, 2008
  14. Apr 13, 2008 #13
    Wow, what a nice store!

15. Apr 13, 2008 #14

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yeah, it's very nice. :smile:

16. Apr 13, 2008 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, I like the stuff shown there! (Well, except that weird flamingo shirt and tie thing in the men's section.) Of course, I got through navigating the whole site (was working my way across the tabs on top) and THEN realized there was a tab to switch it to English. :rofl: Good thing I don't need to know French to look at pictures. :rolleyes:

17. Apr 13, 2008 #16

wolram

Gold Member

Jason, get me some of these.

FRAYED-HEM SHORT
    Very short, bright colours
    Exclusively from Le 31
    Certified organic cotton
    White, yellow, green, blue
    29 to 38

Style: 138 7073 46604

18. Apr 13, 2008 #17

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What waist size? :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?